Switch wiring

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krislhull

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought a MissileWorks RTx tracker system, and I am planning installing it in a rocket that already has a fully completed altimeter bay. It will be easy to mount it on the sled, but I am not sure about wiring up a switch for it, since I do not really have a place to install a third switch (the sled is one of the MissileWorks 98mm blue printed ones). I have my RRC3 already wired up on it, as well as a RRC2+, both of which are using the switch mountings on the sled. So this is my question: before I go and fabricate a support structure for a third switch, and drill another hole in the airframe for access, is there any pro or con to wiring the switch for my RRC3 to be a dual purpose one? Using it to activate both the altimeter and the RTx? I am hesitant to due this, but it is the easiest and cleanest method.

Thanks,

Kris

I think using a 2-pole switch would be fine. After all, it's shared by your tracker and one of your alts, so it's not diminishing recovery redundancy.

I just put a jumper wire across the switch terminal and plug in battery when I close up the AV bay before I take it to the pad. It will have sat lock before it ever gets to pad & I really don't want to put it on pad without a sat fix.

I just put a jumper wire across the switch terminal and plug in battery when I close up the AV bay before I take it to the pad. It will have sat lock before it ever gets to pad & I really don't want to put it on pad without a sat fix.

That's an idea I have been toying with, and I think it is probably going to be the way I go, at least for the first few flights in this bird.

I have used the Featherweight magnetic switch for this type of situation. It's a bit pricey but if you want a separate switch it will do what you want. Since you don't need to drill a hole mounting options are a lot more varied. The switch itself is pretty small and does not require a lot of room. I have several and have used both screws and solder to connect the wires depending on room. There should be plenty of space on the underside of your mounting board even if the altimeter side is covered.

Just something to think about,

Tony

I installed Telemaega, Strato CF, RRC3, RTX Gps all in one bay. Only room for 3 batteries & 3 switches.

Ran a jumper from the RRC3 power to Rtx Gps. It works perfectly. They share one switch. Power from battery to RRC3 & jumper to Rtx.
You will be fine.

Back