R2-D2, C1-10P, and BB-8 Star Wars Droids

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are great. I particularly like the BB-8 Sputnik style stabilization.

Thanks for noticein'. I thought I saw another scratch BB-8 from a styrofoam ball, but now I can't seem to find that link. Basically this is just a Sputnik style rocket in a cardstock body, but with those internal lugs, hand rolled from half of an index card, I can friction fit the bamboo skewers so they are remove-AFTER-flight. And then cook some shrimp on the barbie.

Using the bolt pattern graphics put them in a lower spot on the sphere, really close to the engine mount, so I had to glue them in ASKEW.....er. (These are the jokes folks, I'll be here all week.). So, yeah that may introduce a spin which would be cool.

After this cardstock sphere, now I am thinking of making a larger ball with different graphics... think Death Star!

finally got around to spraying these with Rusto 2X Clear Satin, sort of a semi-gloss finish, really locks in the colors and gives it a nice sheen.

I have a leftover 13mm engine mount that I did not use for these droids, shown in post #24, I decided to put in 18mm mounts for all of them. I am thinking about building a Currell V2 scaled down by the ratio 13/18 or about 72% should be about the right size, and plenty light enough for 13mm engines. I have some yellow cardstock, so I will print the B&W pattern on that and see how it turns out. After these droids, this will be a nice break to build a simple rocket, although the details on the fins might be a little tricky, the pattern is like 7 pages. Am thinking about making an 18mm through tube for some structural integrity and cutting all the centering rings to fit.

Thanks! My launch attempt last weekend was thwarted by a too tight launch lug on R2 and Chopper, the lugs must have expanded after clear coating just a little too much, I just could not get them on the rod. BB-8 had an awesome flight, straight up, no spin. I stuffed a little too much streamer in the head, and it did not unfurl, the engine ejected and sent the nose/head flying, but I was able to find it after searching the field for a minute. I will have to cut those tight lugs off and make some new ones with appropriate tolerance. I have used that same dowel to make other lugs in the past, but these were longer than typical.

I found another paper droid model here, BB-9E, a variation of BB-8 that could be modified into a Sputnik style model rocket, check out this build video, it has links to the paper model, not mine, but I think I may have to add this to my build pile to go along with my set, one of these days:

Last edited:
“There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?”

“Yes. The rocket droid thread is active once more.”

In all seriousness, I just finished watching Rebels with my girlfriend. Her favorite character? Chopper. Her favorite thing that he does? Using his “rocket butt” to jump and fly around. I might have to totally copy the rocket in your profile photo.

BB-9E looks great!
Nice my almost 11 year old is about half way through Rebels. May have to add a Chopper to the build pile!

Back