Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    These are great. I particularly like the BB-8 Sputnik style stabilization.

So much of my rocket building time has been diverted toward my "other hobby": Race Timing

These ARE the droids you're looking for!

Nice work! It even looks like BB-8 may spin on the way up!

LUNAR #2688, launches scrubbed, T minus 10 and holding indefinitely...

Thanks for noticein'. I thought I saw another scratch BB-8 from a styrofoam ball, but now I can't seem to find that link. Basically this is just a Sputnik style rocket in a cardstock body, but with those internal lugs, hand rolled from half of an index card, I can friction fit the bamboo skewers so they are remove-AFTER-flight. And then cook some shrimp on the barbie.

Using the bolt pattern graphics put them in a lower spot on the sphere, really close to the engine mount, so I had to glue them in ASKEW.....er. (These are the jokes folks, I'll be here all week.). So, yeah that may introduce a spin which would be cool.

After this cardstock sphere, now I am thinking of making a larger ball with different graphics... think Death Star!

finally got around to spraying these with Rusto 2X Clear Satin, sort of a semi-gloss finish, really locks in the colors and gives it a nice sheen.

I have a leftover 13mm engine mount that I did not use for these droids, shown in post #24, I decided to put in 18mm mounts for all of them. I am thinking about building a Currell V2 scaled down by the ratio 13/18 or about 72% should be about the right size, and plenty light enough for 13mm engines. I have some yellow cardstock, so I will print the B&W pattern on that and see how it turns out. After these droids, this will be a nice break to build a simple rocket, although the details on the fins might be a little tricky, the pattern is like 7 pages. Am thinking about making an 18mm through tube for some structural integrity and cutting all the centering rings to fit.