Belt clip for Eggfinder Rx?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActingLikeAKid

Reaction score
This is one of those "This seems like a good idea, but there's probably a reason nobody's done it before" things.

When I've used my Eggfinder, I have - on the trip out, anyway - had it in one hand and my phone in the other. But really, I don't NEED to hold the EF - unless the coordinates change, I know where to go. Mostly I'm watching the compass on my phone and walking out to the coordinates.

And once I've found my rocket, the EF is dead weight - I just need to walk back to the launch site and the EF is another thing to carry.

So I was thinking about getting something like this and screwing it to the back of the EF case.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010EAQUEU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I know a lot of folks have really cool grip-handle cases for their EF Rx units, but it seems like having both hands free (especially if getting to your rocket requires any scrambling, and definitely for carrying a large HPR rocket back) would be helpful.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I added a shoulder strap for the very reasons you list above. I used some left over webbing and an old buckle that was laying around. I used 2 rivets on each side to hold the strap to the case.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1435629558.477042.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1435629524.331439.jpg

I carry a backpack, and once I've made it to the rocket I always take a picture of the LCD's screen (like to compare vs. the phone-reported GPS position), switch it off and put it in the backpack. Also have a water bottle or two, and usually the pad camera and when appropriate fly-away rail guide that I picked up from the pad before heading out for recovery. Sometimes use the backpack to help carry the upper-half of the rocket if it's bulky/awkward, and it's also my mobile garbage can to pick up any trash I find along the way, the previous igniter from the pad, etc.

Agreed – hands-free is the way to be!

I put a belt clip on the back of my LCD box.
Search Google for “Baofeng Belt Clip” - these are designed for a radio, inexpensive and works great. I also like the shoulder-strap Idea.

>>> Anyone have ideas for protecting the on-off switch – to make it more difficult to accidentally turn off?

2017-10-02 12.02.35.jpg

I have a Blue Tooth module in my LCD case. So I belt clip or shoulder strap would help me to carry less. But I would rather put it in a backpack since I don't really ever need to look at it. But I do need to put some kind of guard on the switch. Other then a giant red guarded switch.

You can get a key switch with a key that is removable when turned on. Turn it on, remove key. Hang the key around your neck.

That's a good idea. I have a spare key switch from a launch controller I built that would work. And there is plenty of room in/on that case.

Does anyone have any experience with the larger 15" antenna from MissleWorks? Looks like that higher gain would help out.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Back