Rounding fin edges

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
Normally, I round the leading edges of plywood fins on a stationary belt sander. But I'm planning an upscale Sprint XL, and the shape of the fins don't lend themselves to easy rounding. Has anyone used a router with a piloted roundover bit for this? I have a router and table, but worry about controlling the fin as I run it around the bit. Does anybody use a Dremel router table? It looks like it would be ideal with a 1/8" radius bit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000302Y9/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004UDIJ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

screenshot_3in_03.jpg

View attachment fin template.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a piloted 1/8" bit and a router table to shape the fins on my LOC Doorknob. It worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I got the Dremel router table and a piloted 1/8" radius roundover bit. It works okay, but is a little flimsy. There is some movement of the Dremel when it's mounted. It "dug in" a little in places, and was easier to cut one side than the other, for some reason. A light touch and multiple passes is definitely in order. It works well around inside curves. I haven't tried outside curves yet. It will work, but I think a full size router and table would do better.

100817_01.JPG

100817_02.JPG

100817_03.JPG

100817_04.JPG

100817_05.JPG

100817_06.JPG

100817_07.JPG

100817_08.JPG

Well, it works okay, but just okay. I think two of the problems are the relatively low speed of the Dremel, and the small diameter of the pilot. I need to dig out my big router and table. I'm convinced a carbide bit with a ball bearing pilot would be much smoother.

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

It "dug in" a little in places, and was easier to cut one side than the other, for some reason.
After you do the first side, there isn't enough left on the other half for the pilot to ride against. That's why I taped a piece to the top side (see my pictures above); there's a solid surface for the pilot bit to ride against.

The full sized router with a carbide bit and ball bearing pilot does work better. But I totally see what John is saying. So I lowered the bit a little which helped. It makes the radius slightly smaller, but does a better job overall.

20171015_091537-1.jpg

20171015_091532-1.jpg

20171015_092430-1.jpg

20171015_092514-1.jpg

20171015_100042-1.jpg

Nice job on those fins Jim,really like the looks of this upscale.It's a great flier.:flyingpig:

BTW, what's your take on rounding all four (4) fin edges of split fins vs. just two (2) leading and trailing edges of the split-pair?

I'm building my first split-fin rocket (MadCow Fire Flier), and the fins came pre-beveled only at the two leading and trailing edges of the pair (see pic below).
Was MC just lazy, or is there an aerodynamic reason for leaving interior edges square ?

FF split-fins.jpg

a

Attachments

• FF fins.jpg
    FF fins.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 80
BTW, what's your take on rounding all four (4) fin edges of split fins vs. just two (2) leading and trailing edges of the split-pair?

I'm building my first split-fin rocket (MadCow Fire Flier), and the fins came pre-beveled only at the two leading and trailing edges of the pair (see pic below).
Was MC just lazy, or is there an aerodynamic reason for leaving interior edges square ?

I don't have any experience with this. I would leave the inner edges square, hoping to get the fins to whistle.

View attachment 330245

a

Yes there's an aerodynamic reason not to bevel inside edges. I probably won't do a good job explaining it. The leading edge separates the airflow and the trailing edge brings that flow back together. If you bevel inside edges you are separating, joining, separating, joining the airflow. It would be a good project/experiment to see how that effects performance.

This is what I use to round wood fins. Take a piece of 1" thick wood. Drill a hole 1/8" or so larger than the fin thickness and cut the hole in half. I place a piece of sand paper in the slot and hold the paper in place with my hand.

IMG_1962.JPGIMG_1961.JPG

I had another opportunity to use a router to round fin edges, but this time I had to hold them in a vertical orientation with a jig because they had a profile applied.

aft-edge-setup.jpg

aft-edge-routed.jpg

I just bought a Bosch router and jasper jig for cutting centering rings and bulkheads. For beveling fins, I was planning on trying a round over bit. Anyone else try that?

Back