Need retention ideas

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should add that these only cost me the price of the SS screws and the T-nuts, probably $1.00-$1.50 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Correct. I put t-nuts in the aft centering ring, and cover them with epoxy to keep them from coming out. They've served me well over the years.

I use the same method on many builds, usually I fill the thread hole with plasticine clay an epoxy a strip of FG over the t-nut as well as JB weld under the flange.

This is how I did the retention on a rocket I built with a urethane tail cone. The ring is just a scrap piece of aluminum I made with a drill press. There are nuts buried in the tail cone from the back side.

It works well and looks kind of cool, in my opinion.

This one has he MMT recessed, so the ring sits as-is with the motor loaded, just the nozzle pokes through the hole.

I like this idea. Can you give me more details on how and where you mounted the nuts in the tail cones? I've been thinking about it, and I might be able to drill all the way through the transition lengthwise, and put t-nuts on the wider forward end. But if the aft end of the tail cone is 2-3/8" diameter, and I drill it out with a 42mm Forstner bit, that only leaves 0.35" wall.

I like this idea. Can you give me more details on how and where you mounted the nuts in the tail cones? I've been thinking about it, and I might be able to drill all the way through the transition lengthwise, and put t-nuts on the wider forward end. But if the aft end of the tail cone is 2-3/8" diameter, and I drill it out with a 42mm Forstner bit, that only leaves 0.35" wall.

This is the build thread from the first rocket. Looking back, the T-nuts are attached to the MMT and the tail cone is slipped over the assembly.

Chester's Cheeto Chaser #3 Build

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=6208

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

View attachment 329047

Drop/insert case with reload from front end of rocket. You may have to hold stuff upside down so re-load parts don't fall out. But by now, I know you can figure out the details, you've been around awhile.....LOL

Now screw on rear closure. Motor is held in place by masking tape ring in front and closure in rear. Can't go anywhere. You may need a section of PVC pipe or dowel to put pressure on front of motor , while screwing rear closure on/off.

This is genius. I used the tape above the MMT on adapters, but never thought about using the aft closure to clamp it all in place. Listen to CJ, he always has the simple yet most elegant solution.

38mm Aeropack retainer is $25 from here:

The OP is using a tailcone. Adding a honking Aeropack retainer will destroy the sleek look. I used a Slimline on my tailcone build, and that was still pushing it, IMO.

The OP is using a tailcone. Adding a honking Aeropack retainer will destroy the sleek look. I used a Slimline on my tailcone build, and that was still pushing it, IMO.

Exactly. If I was willing to spend the money, I would use a slimline retainer from Giant Leap. Since it uses a snapring, it could be mounted flush with the bottom of the tail cone.

Back