Shipping rocket stuff to Australia

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grandcross

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
No, not motors but pretty much everything else.

It looks like I'll be relocating to Australia in the new year. I don't want to put too much in storage, and I'd like to fly some rockets while I'm there, so it looks like I'll be shipping some stuff. This includes full Level 3 class rockets, motor casings, and such. I don't need it all, but I don't want to have to repurchase everything again.

So any advice with regards to packing, shipping methods, customs, etc?

I'm getting things from Randy (eRockets) here in China... I suspect that you'll have less trouble than me, so long as you remember that they're not "ROCKETS", they're unassembled models, assembled models, or hobby supplies.

Best bet is to contact Blake from Australian Rocketry, google it or I can send you additional details via pm.

Where are you headed to?

Best bet is to contact Blake from Australian Rocketry, google it or I can send you additional details via pm.

Where are you headed to?

Looks like Sydney, but possibly Melbourne. I'll know more in a couple of weeks.

I found the website so I'll contact them. Thanks for the heads up!

knew some folks who shipped some rc raceboats cross country, the guy they shipped to said he got some Real strange looks from his neighbors...on the outside of these large/ enormous boxes the shipping labels read 'Adult Toys' :).
Rex

Where are you headed to?

They were saying a while back if we wanted to go to Thunda Down Under and fly they had a shipping container to send stuff. Sounded like shipping inert items was not an issue.

M

I've spoken with the guys down under from time to time on their Forum, they know some of our guys from the east coast USA down there (one posts regularly here).
You probably know some of them as well flying the east coast.

https://forum.ausrocketry.com/

I'll PM you ...........................

It depends on how long you are going to be gone for and how much you have to send.

A small quantity try carry on.

A few items, either use the post office or just buy new while you are there.

If it is a large quantity and you are staying a long time, then look at freight forwarders. They will ship via ocean freight. It does take 2-3 months each way so not something you can do if you have a short stay.

Plan ahead for brokerage fees and VAT that may be charged. You may have to pick up at a large city airport or pay to ship from there to your final destination.

At this point, I'm pretty much giving up on shipping. Too much expense/hassle/etc. I'll hand carry my electronics, but the rest will stay behind.

I'll just have to build some new rockets when I'm there!

Shipping anything over 40 in. long will KILL you with charges.

While there [Melbourne] I had Wildman ship me a Punisher kit. Cost was 42.00 After building it, cost was 102.00 to ship back to USA.

Shipping a L-3 rockets will cost hundreds of dollars. As mentioned, best thing to do would be pack up a pallet/crate of all stuff you want shipped & get it to container Blake gets every 4 months. He's in Brisbane about 1000miles from Melbourne if memory serves, the guy to know when it comes to everything rocket related in Ozz. And the only guy with a great motor selection!

I helped pack many kits going to Ozz from Wildman, and first thing always ....contact customer and explain about length. Most would opt for cutting tubes to 40 in. to save on shipping....something I know you don't want to do with built kits. Anything over goes can almost double or more in cost, even just 2 inches!
You may find it much more economical to send all your components...chutes, cords, tools etc. even payloads/Nc's and build a couple of fin cans when you get there.

That or re-configure a couple of rockets to shorter lengths and leave the rest here. Shipping is a beast, USPS is really only normal option that has reasonable costs. I'm sure you can dig around, check DHL and some lesser known. I don't think you can use UPS or FEDX without having a heart attack.

Blake is the guy to find best way to do this, you can get space on container yourself, but then bonding agents & customs come into play....more cost. By the way Australia is the furthest distance to ship something from almost anywhere in USA....14,000 miles.

Have you already talked to him?

Last edited:
...By the way Australia is the furthest distance to ship something from almost anywhere in USA....14,000 miles.

They must quote the mileage based on their actual route - you can't get 14,000 miles away from anywhere on a planet ~25,000 miles in circumference....

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back