Going for L2, what am I forgetting?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to mark CP (& add vent holes) in line with the rail guides .. I can always find quickly if needed and always hidden in pad pics.

You can always do a quickee balance after loaded up and put a small piece of tape to show CG .

Dont forget cert form and confirm who mails it in ( if successful) in advance.

Relax ..you got this ..keep it simple buddy

Kenny

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

- Check AGAIN that you REALLY turned on the electronics...

Not that I've ever done that.... maybe..... so far as you know.... :)

Hm. If I'm super careful, I MIGHT be able to line up the JLCR blinky light with the pressure relief hole....

And DEFINITELY make sure you check your tracker before launch to ensure that you're still getting coordinates.... not that I've ever done anything like that.....

I'm going to add another +1 on the checklist. A checklist is your best friend when you're stressed about a launch. :)

And DEFINITELY make sure that you don't forget to attach the tether of your JCLR.... not that I've ever done anything like that.....

Thank you everyone for your input and responses!! Things are coming along nicely.

Some stats:

Finished rocket height: About 6 feet.
Weight: 1500g dry.
The J motors are simming to 720-750 mph and 6000 feet.

If I put a redline in it, it ought to go supersonic....

Also I learned - and I don't know if this is a "this is the way everyone does it" or "this it the way my club interprets the rule" thing, but ...

The ENTIRE flight must be witnessed to get L2. That means if the cert team loses sight of it, I fail. (You know, just to stop those sneaky jerks who say "oh, it totally went down over there" and run out into the distance with a second high-power rocket stuffed down their pants)

Anyway, I'm going for the smallest J possible, just to keep speed and altitude down.

Also I learned - and I don't know if this is a "this is the way everyone does it" or "this it the way my club interprets the rule" thing, but ...

The ENTIRE flight must be witnessed to get L2. That means if the cert team loses sight of it, I fail. (You know, just to stop those sneaky jerks who say "oh, it totally went down over there" and run out into the distance with a second high-power rocket stuffed down their pants)

Anyway, I'm going for the smallest J possible, just to keep speed and altitude down.
6000 ft may not be a good choice, then.

The rules state that they must be present and watch the flight; didn't see "ENTIRE," anywhere. Either I am mistaken or the club is acting on a set of dated or incorrect rules. No idea, but honestly I wouldn't sweat it. Good luck on your L2.

https://www.tripoli.org/Level2

That's a horseshit interpretation.

I don't even have words for this.

Yeah, that’s not right. They shouldn’t require maintaining their eyeballs on it the whole flight.

And DEFINITELY make sure you check your tracker before launch to ensure that you're still getting coordinates.... not that I've ever done anything like that.....
You can write on the launch card for the LCO to do a quick check with you over the radio before they push the button. I usually do this.

I have heard about this "must observe the entire flight" thing, but my observers in the club trust the altimeter and data. Just as well, since I like flights that go out of sight (L2 was K550, L3 was N1100).

Anyhow, don't get too stressed for an L2. Enjoy the day and the excitement in the lead up to it :)

Last edited:
I don't like to mark CG on the rocket since it changes with every motor. It's also easy to find by balancing on your hand (at least until your big L3 project!). CP stays the same unless you've gone and monkeyed with fins or an extra length of body tube.

I have CG stickers I just peel off and move.

6000 ft may not be a good choice, then.

Looks like the smallest CTI J will take it to ~4800 and ~500 mph. Short tying some fishing weights to the nose cone eyebolt or adding some sort of drag-inducing collar [NO I WOULDN'T DO THIS, I'M KIDDING] I can't get much lower. So I'll fly what I have and see what happens. Worst case, I just have to build something big and slow to get my L2.

Working on the checklist with some nerves and a sense of humor....

8. Z-fold shock cord, one wrap of masking tape for each bundle.
9. Barf.
10. Add a little fireproof cellulose insulation above the motor.
11. Put as much shock cord as possible into the airframe...

reviewing two items mentioned: on eggfinder- once you think its armed: go to rocket and listen for continuous chirping- you hear it your good to go. If u dont press arm one more time- almost launched my backup system thinking it was armed on my L3! Second item: use a tool to tighten quicklinks- i have seen so many work there way loose with all the vibration. i cinch them closed. Attention to you chute packing! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Working on the checklist with some nerves and a sense of humor....

8. Z-fold shock cord, one wrap of masking tape for each bundle.
9. Barf.
10. Add a little fireproof cellulose insulation above the motor.
11. Put as much shock cord as possible into the airframe...

For #8, I use girls' hairbands instead. No residue left on Kevlar that way.

You could also take it to a club that actually understands the certification procedures.

You could also take it to a club that actually understands the certification procedures.
FWIW, I'm getting this second-hand from the motor vendor, so I don't know if this is gospel. But always better to prepare for the worst....

The rules state that they must be present and watch the flight; didn't see "ENTIRE," anywhere. Either I am mistaken or the club is acting on a set of dated or incorrect rules. No idea, but honestly I wouldn't sweat it. Good luck on your L2.

https://www.tripoli.org/Level2

Here's the entire text:
Certification Flight – Level 2 Certification flight may take place at any insured launch. The certifying member (i.e. Prefect, TRA Director, or TAP Member) must be present and witness the certification flight. The certifying member must witness the rocket ascend in a stable manner and descend in stabilized manner controlled by the recovery system.

Nothing there says the apogee must be within sight or that the entire ascent or descent must be witnessed. We just have to see enough to know that it was stable going up and came down at a safe speed under chute.

Last edited:

Well now you've set off quite a little stink bomb here. I'd definitely like to hear more about this particular "requirement". I understand the rules do give some flexibility to the cert teams. In any case good luck with your flight.

Here's the entire text:
Certification Flight – Level 2 Certification flight may take place at any insured launch. The certifying member (i.e. Prefect, TRA Director, or TAP Member) must be present and witness the certification flight. The certifying member must witness the rocket ascend in a stable manner and descend in stabilized manner controlled by the recovery system.

Nothing there says the apogee must be within sight.

Simply discuss the upcoming flight with your certifying authority, whether Prefect, TAP, or TRA Board member and ask him or her. I'm two out of three of that list and I used to be a Prefect. I've not heard of anyone being disqualified because the flight went out of sight.
We're going to work on clarifying some of the certification procedures to avoid misinterpretations. I'll submit this as one that can be improved.

Steve Shannon

You guys are citing TRA rules, think the OP said NAR..but still.
For z folding I put a short wrap of party streamer around the harness and secure with a small piece of scotch tape. The harness slips right out and the streamer is easily torn if it doesn't slide out just right. That is, when I z fold, mostly I just fold it loosely and put it in.
What diameter motors are you looking at? And what diameter is the rocket?

Paint is drying.
Eggfinder battery is charging and I have a spare one coming from Amazon.
Eggfinder RX batteries will be refreshed.

Using a Jolly Logic Chute Release and motor eject (so no altimeter/charge/drogue stuff to worry about).

Chute and other recovery gear will be packed onsite.

Once the paint is dry, I'll punch the final weight and CG numbers into OpenRocket to get some accurate sims.

Onsite vendor is aware of what I'm planning and will have a motor for me.

Club president has been notified and is aware that I'm going to attempt this.

I've been through the practice questions on the NAR site and got a perfect score.

What am I forgetting?

Id say Valium the night before.. I was a nervous wreck the week before and slept little the night before the launch. The test isnt to hard if you study for it and the actual flying.. well.. that's the easy part.. I had a bunch of great guys/gals who kinda understood and helped me out..
This is what happened that day.
https://youtu.be/4ceXLBDZX9g

You guys are citing TRA rules, think the OP said NAR..but still.
For z folding I put a short wrap of party streamer around the harness and secure with a small piece of scotch tape. The harness slips right out and the streamer is easily torn if it doesn't slide out just right. That is, when I z fold, mostly I just fold it loosely and put it in.
What diameter motors are you looking at? And what diameter is the rocket?

Correct, this is NAR.
I played around with a couple of things and kind of like a half-width (so like 3/8") piece of super-cheap masking tape. Tiny bit of residue, but holds well. And that's what I've been practicing well. May try the streamer idea, I like that.

Rocket is very long and thin. Loose upscale of the Estes Vector Force. 54mm bottom half, 38mm top half. Whole rocket is about 6' long, motor is 38mm.

Good point, but as an L3CC my answers would be the same. Here's the requirement:
The individual will fly his model. The flight must be witnessed by the certification team members. Stability, deployment of the recovery system, and safe recovery should be considered when evaluating safety of the flight. Models experiencing a catastrophic failure of the airframe, rocket motor, and/or recovery system (e.g., shock cord separation) will not be considered as having a safe flight.

It doesn't say the "entire flight" must be witnessed. Again, simply discuss it with the people you've selected as witnesses beforehand.

Steve Shannon

Back