Caffeine Monster Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you ever have one of those days where everything goes perfect?

IMG_1547.jpg

And then this happens........

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg

This is a lot smaller rocket then what I launched.

IMG_1543.jpg

Regretfully we were not quick enough with the video, and missed the actual shred, but here is what we caught.

https://youtu.be/J2uX10ieNW4

The glider was destroyed.

IMG_1537.jpg

But the rocket was relatively spared.

IMG_1538.jpg

The booster is undamaged for the most part.

I plan to repair the middle section and then launch just the rocket no glider, then launch with my small glider.

If all of the above goes well, I plan to launch the bottom and middle section with the large glider and a smaller motor.

I'm not too surprised the spindly upper section came off, it's just not supported, that's why I was asking about a stuffer tube to make a spine to hang or attach the cups to. The stiffness was relying just on surface glue joints to the foam. But it's a learning process to see what works and what doesn't. Maybe if you continued your bottom structure all the way up it would be strong enough for the motor you used, not sure.

Frank

The hand-toss foam glider is probably not designed for that high of a g-load on launch. A couple of options for adding strength to the glider so that the wings stay intact. You could modify the sweep angle of the wings, basically convert it to more of a delta-wing, will need to re-balance it so that you get a good glide. Also, you can add some strength by applying strapping tape, the kind of packaging tape that has the strings embedded in it. On RC planes with foam wings you can put that on the bottom only but you might consider putting it on the top as well. Or, like on Frank's kits, carve out a groove and epoxy/glue a reinforcement carbon fiber, or maybe just a thin wooden dowel, as a structural spar from wing tip to tip. Lots of options, challenge is to add enough strength while keeping it light. (I wonder if the tail was strong enough itself, but got damaged by the wing when it ripped off?)

Back