What is it?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh, come on... at least try to give a hard one! The MEDS update to the shuttle. Now, if you want to know which of the four it is, I have no idea.

You guys are better than I thought. space-shuttle-endeavour-cockpit-flight-deck.jpg

I can get better at this. Could this be just a little tougher?

sc1.jpg

outstanding!

It was the combination of missles (IR Falcons and FFAR) and rockets that kind of gave it away, only a few aircraft used a pod like that (okay one) but all of them were pre-century series fighters iirc. I actually had to look up which one of the early interceptors/fighters carried those weapons.

It was the combination of missles (IR Falcons and FFAR) and rockets that kind of gave it away, only a few aircraft used a pod like that (okay one) but all of them were pre-century series fighters iirc. I actually had to look up which one of the early interceptors/fighters carried those weapons.

That would be correct, Rich. The Scorpion is the only US aircraft that I am aware of that had the capability to carry missiles in wingtip pods like that, or at least the GAR-1/2 and FFAR. The F-94 had a pod on each wing for the FFAR, but it was just inboard of its tip tanks.

This should be pretty easy--View attachment 329117

Seeing as how you are in the DFW area, I am going to go out on a limb and say that is the intake from the former LockMart Divertless Intake Testbed F-16 that was stored for many years outside the Fort Worth plant.

lockheed_F-16DSI_divertless_supersonic_inlet_3.jpg

That would be correct, Rich. The Scorpion is the only US aircraft that I am aware of that had the capability to carry missiles in wingtip pods like that, or at least the GAR-1/2 and FFAR. The F-94 had a pod on each wing for the FFAR, but it was just inboard of its tip tanks.

--800px-Northrop_F-89H_with_AIM-4_Falcon_missiles (1).jpg

Back