What is it?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NOW, I'll weigh in. I was thinking that round part with the handle looked like an access port for a military aircraft missile. Which one? I have no clue.

I'm pretty sure the same tank was used on several aircraft. A-4,AD, A-7,A-6 with a different fin configuration for each.Some had no fins. I think the RA-5C was the only other one to use the four fin set.

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

Ok truth be told, I found this but had no idea what it was, but I knew TRF would come through.

Thank you, now I know!

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Ok truth be told, I found this but had no idea what it was, but I knew TRF would come through.

Thank you, now I know!

It was a good exercise for my recognition skills! I used to do competitive aircraft recognition quizzes, and we would be given obscure photos of relatively obscure aircraft to try and ID. On this one, the cap was the dead giveaway for me that it was a drop tank of some kind, then a quick google search is what confirmed it.

R-13, better known by its NATO designation of AA-2 Atoll.

The fin extensions to the nozzle are the giveaway on this....
That's the one - the Russian copy of the AIM-9. One of them got stuck up the tailpipe of a MiG which then made it back to base. The missile found its way to Russia, which copied the thing so exactly that you could literally swap parts between the AIM-9 and the AA-2.

Your turn. ;)

You got the bragging rights...

Walking around the grounds of Monino was definitely and experience that I cannot wait to have again. Hopefully I will be back next year.

Last edited:
Back