What is it?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try this one on for size, hint the picture has never been seen anywhere else before so photo matching shouldn't work.

WhatIsIt1.jpg

OK. I'll bite. It's a museum piece, probably an engineering mock up. Looks like it could be a Wasserfall but it's missing the guide vanes--the size is about right though as well as the fin profile. It could be a version of the NATIV but the green color would make no sense--should be white or black---still it's missing the guide vanes! At any rate, it looks like some kind of sub scale V-2 variant like the A-5. Which the other two are.

Try this one on for size, hint the picture has never been seen anywhere else before so photo matching shouldn't work.

View attachment 329721

OK. I'll bite. It's a museum piece, probably an engineering mock up. Looks like it could be a Wasserfall but it's missing the guide vanes--the size is about right though as well as the fin profile. It could be a version of the NATIV but the green color would make no sense--should be white or black---still it's missing the guide vanes! At any rate, it looks like some kind of sub scale V-2 variant like the A-5. Which the other two are.

Looks almost like a Scud, which if it is, you were on the correct track, Hornet Driver

You guys are correct it is a Scud, which version I am not sure of yet.

Do you have a photo of the full vehicle, or where this one is located? I can probably track down the pedigree from that

On closer investigation, it looks like it is the one on display at the American Air Museum at the Imperial War Museum in Duxford. If this is the case, it is a R-17 Elbrus, NATO designation SS-1C Scud-B.

Last edited:
Do you have a photo of the full vehicle, or where this one is located? I can probably track down the pedigree from that

On closer investigation, it looks like it is the one on display at the American Air Museum at the Imperial War Museum in Duxford. If this is the case, it is a R-17 Elbrus, NATO designation SS-1C Scud-B.

PM Incoming!

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1507570688.799079.jpg

Saw this one overhead the past 2 days. Shouldn't be too difficult.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1507576735.163015.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1507576752.445134.jpg

A restored DC-3. I heard it before I first saw it and knew instantly it was a WWII era plane. When it came into view I knew right away what it was. A little google research and I found info and pics here: www.dutchdakota.nl/en/home

It would make for an interesting build! The ultimate tube fin--the unitube---and probably completely unstable--hmm sounds like a challenge!---ya'll need a hint?

Yea, right, ok, I'll be fine! This guy reminds me of my drivers ed. teacher in high school!-not happy.jpg

And right you are ! It was a failure! Designed as a test bed, they saw it as a ram jet powered interceptor! It couldn't even break the speed of sound. If they had used the "area rule" in the design it would have done so. I can't wrap my head around that clear cockpit center section. --jet.jpg

Shkval torpedo, its a super high speed torpedo, known as a supercavitating torpedo. And thats the nose of it.

Last edited:
I found out about them a year or so ago while reading about modern torpedos after having re-read Hunt for Red October for the ump-teenth time.

Back