How to fix a crooked coupler?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketRoll

Reaction score
Building an Estes Commanche 3 and it looks like I glued the stage 3 coupler crooked, so it doesn't slide into stage 2 correctly. Short of buying a new kit, any ideas on how to fix it?

EDIT: Uploaded picture. A bit hard to see, but the coupler has a slight angle on it that makes it unable to slip into stage 2 correctly.
IMG_20170925_200826113.jpg

Sent from my MotoG3 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Last edited:
Building an Estes Commanche 3 and it looks like I glued the stage 3 coupler crooked, so it doesn't slide into stage 2 correctly. Short of buying a new kit, any ideas on how to fix it?

EDIT: Uploaded picture. A bit hard to see, but the coupler has a slight angle on it that makes it unable to slip into stage 2 correctly.
View attachment 328855

What did you glue it in with?

I would peel it out from the inside of the couple, carefully remove glue residue (vinegar and a qtip works for wood glue...give it time to soften) then put in new coupler. Use epoxy with time to get it right before it grabs.

It's glued in with standard Elmer's white glue.

I'll try the peeling out/vinegar method. But, just curious, why epoxy over standard white glue?

It's glued in with standard Elmer's white glue.

I'll try the peeling out/vinegar method. But, just curious, why epoxy over standard white glue?

Epoxy before it cures has the effect of lubricating the joint and makes it easy to get the coupler into the right place. White glue or carpenter glue tends to seize up and grab the coupler.

I don't really like epoxy but I use it for stuff like this. I wear nitrile gloves while handling it.

I would peel it out from the inside of the couple, carefully remove glue residue (vinegar and a qtip works for wood glue...give it time to soften) then put in new coupler. Use epoxy with time to get it right before it grabs.

That's where I was headed with my q...

Epoxy before it cures has the effect of lubricating the joint and makes it easy to get the coupler into the right place. White glue or carpenter glue tends to seize up and grab the coupler.

I don't really like epoxy but I use it for stuff like this. I wear nitrile gloves while handling it.

I do the same thing. White glue and wood glue have gotten the better of me with regards to couplers numerous times. Epoxy is so much easier to work with when installing couplers.

After removing the coupler and maybe destroying the 18mm engine mount in the process you could use a 24mm motor in that stage instead. The motor itself would be the coupler.

Back