OpenRocket limits?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Person
Reaction score
I got bored while browsing the webs and found this:
https://v-serv.com/usr/crr304mm.htm
So i decided why not design a rocket around it?
SingleStageS.jpg
Ok so 400k+ feet and mach 5+ hmm what if I stage it?
DualStageS.jpg
Well uhhh... would this even be able to return to Earth?!? Actually... wait mach 10?? Is there any material that wont melt away at the heat cause by that much friction? I didn't realize OpenRocket would actually be able to handle this stuff. Or does it? I'm not sure if these values are accurate but I wonder how well this would actually perform if materials were found that could survive.

Last edited:
Basically, you've simulated a sounding rocket. Compare, for example, the UP-Aerospace Spaceloft XL or the Black Brant IV.

Well uhhh... would this even be able to return to Earth?!?
Yes, it would fall back to earth. To reach orbit, a rocket would need to be more than twice as fast (~8km/s)

Actually... wait mach 10?? Is there any material that wont melt away at the heat cause by that much friction?
This depends a lot on air density (altitude) and how long the rocket stays at that speed. Mach 10 vehicles do exist, but they use specialized materials.

I didn't realize OpenRocket would actually be able to handle this stuff. Or does it? I'm not sure if these values are accurate but I wonder how well this would actually perform if materials were found that could survive.
As far as I can tell, the number look at least plausible. No idea how accurate they are though.

Reinhard

Mach 10 is certainly real, though you won't get that from a cardboard/wood rocket launched at ground level. Maybe launched high up in the atmosphere where air density is minimal...although I don't know how you'd get it up there haha. I've read that the calculation methods and assumptions built into openrocket make it great for subsonic sims, but less accurate for transonic/supersonic, or in your case hypersonic flight! Try simming it in RASaero (another free program, handles supersonic/hypersonic better) and see what you get.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Mach 10 is certainly real, though you won't get that from a cardboard/wood rocket launched at ground level. Maybe launched high up in the atmosphere where air density is minimal...although I don't know how you'd get it up there haha. I've read that the calculation methods and assumptions built into openrocket make it great for subsonic sims, but less accurate for transonic/supersonic, or in your case hypersonic flight! Try simming it in RASaero (another free program, handles supersonic/hypersonic better) and see what you get.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Rocketry Forum mobile app
This was purely out of boredom, i have no intent of flying this XD but i did use relistic materials and weights just to see what it would look like. At nearly half a ton i think its doable but would take a team and a very large budget.

I wonder if US rockets still produces those motors for Amateur purposes.

I've also.heard OR behaves better at trans/super sonic that the standard Rocsim

Back