Wraparound decals -- how to mount them straight?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdz

Reaction score
I've tried making a pencil guideline and have used great care, but almost every wraparound ends up crooked, like the ones in the attached photo. What's the secret to putting them on straight?

decal.jpg

Was your guideline vertical (at the seam) or around the tube?

I've wrapped a piece of paper around a tube to act as a physical guide in the past. I also usually start from the middle instead of an end.

If you have a perfectly vertical line on the back of the tube, then line up the decal on the line and attach it with painter's tape. Wrap it around (unpeeled) and see where it hits in the back. Adjust as needed.

Leave the masking tape in place when you peel it and adhere it. Voila!

Decals can be adjusted as they have a water film between the decal and its intended surface. SO, you can float it around to get the placement & alignment you want.

Stickers on the other hand, tend to grab as soon as they contact a surface. But they can be made to 'float', to get a perfect placement & alignment. First spray the area with Windex, where you want to put the sticker / decal. Place the sticker on the Windex wetted surface, but don't press down. Now, slide the sticker around, as it' should be 'floating' on the Windex layer. Once in place, press to adhere, and then squeegee out the Windex from between the sticker and the intended sticking surface. Let sit for 24hrs. the Windex should then evaporate leaving the sticker stuck..

Paul's Windex idea seems to be working, thanks for the tip!

Think this is a bit of diversion from the other recommendations; what I do with all my wraps.

Begin to remove the backing on the wrap; do not fully remove. Cut ~1" off the backing sheet. Wrap the (non-sticky) backer equipped part of the wrap around the airframe as you intend...when you get it perfectly in place, then stick that 1" length of sticky stuff to the airframe. You've now locked in your position and alignment. Begin to remove more of the backer and apply the rest of the decal...so long as your decal isn't super flexible, you proceed with caution, and don't wrinkle along the way, your ends should meet perfectly since you "locked in" your alignment with that original 1" swatch.

For what its worth, I do this with all decals, whether they're wraps or not. Never bothered with the soapy water or similar. Careful positioning, allow a little corner to lock in placement and alignment, then apply the rest in a smooth uniform fashion.

Hope this helps!:)

The method in post #7 works well for long wraps that need to be parallel with the airframe sides.

The earlier post of mine is better for things like stripes that wrap around the airframe.

The method in post #7 works well for long wraps that need to be parallel with the airframe sides.

The earlier post of mine is better for things like stripes that wrap around the airframe.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

I know I personally get superior results from the method I described above; I can't say if it works better for you or others.

Lots of ways to skin a cat; ain't it great!:)

Yep. Many ways to get things done, and don't necessarily use the same way in a different situation. I am happy to see people not afraid to ask questions here (and others respond). We all learn something along the way.

Back