What shoud Hollywood redo / re-release?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps Harvey Weinstein...

Could produce a new...

Soap Opera...:cool:

c97ed6a53a5c0f5ceac53f0b945a6012d42fb5a190e16c22772929c9292ed880.jpg

The Many "Loves" of H. Weinstein

Yes, with the quotation marks.
Sure to be a box office hit!
What a PIG!
LOL!

Ooops... Looks like KidRockET beat me to it!

Last edited:
"Logan's Run", "Fantastic Voyage", and true-to-the-book "The Time Machine" would be my electives.

• “Ringworld,” a co-production with MGM, is based on Larry Niven’s sci-fi book series from the 70’s. It tells the story of Louis Gridley Wu, a bored man celebrating his 200th birthday in a technologically-advanced, future Earth. Upon being offered one of the open positions on a voyage, Louis joins a young woman and two aliens to explore Ringworld, the remote artificial ring beyond “Known Space.”

Now THAT will be COOL, if it is done right... :pop:

On the other hand, I would stay far away from movies that were very good. Hollywood tends to do that with movies such as Alien/Aliens and what not. Just took the 'series' right down the toilet. Some movies should never be rehashed. I enjoyed very much The Illusionist. DON'T TOUCH!

Someone brought up ''Fahrenheit 451''...? Back in the early days there were VHS rentals. Anyone remember those? Any-who back in those days Glover & Gibson made many ''Lethal Weapon '' movies. Often times there were behind the scenes clips of films in progress not just trailers. All this prep is for the post tape youngsters. On one of the ''LW" movie clips, I seem to remember(Inaccurately y/n?) that Gibson was filming ''F 451''. Apparently it never was finished/released. No I have not done a search yet. I Hate "SEARCHING"!!!!!

Someone brought up ''Fahrenheit 451''...? Back in the early days there were VHS rentals. Anyone remember those? Any-who back in those days Glover & Gibson made many ''Lethal Weapon '' movies. Often times there were behind the scenes clips of films in progress not just trailers. All this prep is for the post tape youngsters. On one of the ''LW" movie clips, I seem to remember(Inaccurately y/n?) that Gibson was filming ''F 451''. Apparently it never was finished/released. No I have not done a search yet. I Hate "SEARCHING"!!!!!

Got ya covered buddy,
Set to come out next year.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0360556/

Remakes will always be judged by the original. We have in our mind what the character looks like from the original or having read the book. Today's Hollywood seems to see the need to change characters race, gender, age, species to make it different, be more PC or whatever. In some cases this is a rewrite of history (not a movie but the play Hamilton).

They also try to make a movie appeal to everyone, adding characters or objects for kids, grandma and your biker cousin to like. Adding items for toy, game, shirt sales is also popular.
They can't just make a movie loyal to original book or movie, the director needs to put his special touch to it.

I used to go every week to the movies, now maybe twice a year. Nothing I want to see.

M

MC thanks! Hmmm. According to that link IMDB claims that the Gibson version was never started. My recollection must have been off. Or possibly was started but stopped very VERY early.

I'm with Hornet Driver on Forbidden Planet - but they have to remover the virginal/unicornish references. That is, Altaira has to be a stronger personality in the remake. On the other hand, the robot is so iconic, they might try to improve him so much that they lose their audience. Don't mess with Robby!

Also (and this will seem outrageous), I would vote for Howard the Duck. The comic was wonderful and satyric. The movie was just... unfortunate. People forget just how popular Howard was in his day.

I would like to see a decent movie version of Dune. I wonder if Peter Jackson would take on the project.

COMPLETELY AGREE. The original Dune movie was so freaking horrible and did such an awful job it was hard to understand what in the world was going without having read the book. You'd almost have to treat it like they did the Hobbit and do it in two or three movies rather than just one.

Another movie I'd suggest for a remake is Patton. The battle scenes were really poorly done in the original movie by todays standards and with the advent of quality CGI I think they could really improve on that aspect. Not sure if you could find a better actor for Patton though....

-Dave

MC thanks! Hmmm. According to that link IMDB claims that the Gibson version was never started. My recollection must have been off. Or possibly was started but stopped very VERY early.

From IMDB trivia,
"Mel Gibson was planning to direct this remake, with Tom Cruise in the lead role, but schedules did not allow it"

The Lathe of Heaven.
The 1980 version was real low budget.
2002 just poorly done

Was there a recent version of rendezvous with Rama? I remember a trailer

Last edited:
Just re-read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?". It was not as bad as I had remembered it. The movie re-imaged the book fairly well. There was a religious backdrop to the book (Mercerism) that was missing in the movie. Several characters were combined or slightly remade, but they fit well into the movie.

Of course, to follow that up, I had to read "Android's Dream" by John Scalzi. Good read, not his best book. However, if we're looking for fodder for the next movie, his "Old Man's War" series would make a great springboard (reading it now). I could see it as a mini-series for the first book, or done as a story arc covering several books (like Babylon 5 or The Expanse).

Some movies were so unique in their time I'm not sure redoing them even makes sense.
For example, I can't imagine why someone would remake a film like "Dr.Strangelove"...even though SFX have advanced so much since the original release date.

I didn't think Hitchcock's "Psycho" would make sense as a remake either, and I think the results testify to that.
Many films like "When the Earth Stood Still" was so of it's time, even with the rather primitive effects, - redoing it for a modern short attention span audience bred on video games and sophisticated SFX require it to have all the nonsense most current films rely too heavily on.
For instance, I think "Casablanca" is a classic...but I have nephews that can't endure to watch it...too slow, not enough action. A pity.
One film that I might concede as a remake..."The Bedford Incident"...I can see that updated.
Off the coast of N. Korea and China.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA-rgKBq7Ss
[video=youtube;uA-rgKBq7Ss]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA-rgKBq7Ss[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOll3v55Dmo

[video=youtube;eOll3v55Dmo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOll3v55Dmo[/video]

Last edited:
I liked Rex’s idea of remaking 2001. Stanley Kubrick was a cinematic genius. However the ending of 2001 was lame and confusing. Too bad that Hollywood and London studios will not make detailed models anymore. CGI is so overdone and fake looking.

I would have have liked seeing a Top Gun sequel. The real world airborne cinematography was breathtaking. A sequel would most likely be awful. Overacting by Tom Cruise and unrealistic CGI.

Bob

I would have have liked seeing a Top Gun sequel. The real world airborne cinematography was breathtaking. A sequel would most likely be awful. Overacting by Tom Cruise and unrealistic CGI.

Bob

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1745960/

it's apparently in the works.. Now, whether it pans out is another story.. (And I wonder if they'll get a newer band to redo the title song "Danger Zone"!!)

How about Hollywood get creative and not rework someone else's idea? Are they out of fresh ideas already?

How about Hollywood get creative and not rework someone else's idea? Are they out of fresh ideas already?

There's VERY little true fresh ideas.

Forbidden Planet, used plot ideas from Shakespeare's "The Tempest".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbidden_Planet

Gene Roddenberry touted Star Trek to NBC Executives, as "Wagon Train to the Stars".

Just sayin'.

Now we have a New SciFi show on the air that is at its core, Star Trek. But it's on Fox and is named "The Orville". Ignoring the 10% silliness factor, it's had some GREAT sci-fi core episodes like Trek used to have.

And then there is Star Trek Discovery, which is more like "Trek Wars", or "Trek of Thrones" (significant characters suddenly killed off), with very little Star Trek core sci-fi content. And a psychotic captain that I've nicknamed "Queeg-hab", after Captain Queeg (the Caine Mutiny) and Ahab (Moby Dick). Ironically they went too "creative" and unnecessarily redesigned Klingons to have an atrocious look and they're cannibals to boot (Ate a Starfeet Captain that they had killed. At least it was referred to and not shown).

Now, "The Martian" was incredibly clever and great. And one of my favorite movies (and books), ever. But even at that.... an astronaut, stranded on Mars? And yes the movie below was a "replace an island with Mars" ripoff....of a classic story :)

robinson-crusoe-on-mars.jpg

Last edited:
But what other starship flies on Spores!

Jokes aside, I actually like Capt. Lorca. (maybe that's just a side effect of professional life pushing me towards psociopathy)

Back