What shoud Hollywood redo / re-release?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
OK, with a few "good" movies coming out recently, there area slew of remakes coming out too. Are they any better than the original? (usually not) Did they need to redo the film? (again, usually not, but some big-wig has an idea, a concept to 'tweak' the story for whatever reason..) Is it because the older film is dated? or is it just that they know the older film made $$$, a new remake will make just as much? It seems they (Hollywood) can't really come up with anything new, or seem more comfortable redoing a popular film from a few years ago..

What would you want to see remade? What do you think they'll butcher form the old?

2001 the original was a great movie...if you read the book first. it would be nice if someone could make a version that could be understood on a first view. if one were looking for a setting, a ring world or Dyson sphere would make for nice scenery if nothing else :).
Rex

Well, they could remake "A few Good Men" with an all female cast...

No, seriously, I'm not in favor of remakes. Rarely are they worth it. I am ok with re-formatting things like doing a TV show as an expanded visualization of something done as a movie previously (The Handmaid's Tale comes to mind).

Well, what ever they decide to remake, they need to stay on target and get off this idea that you need some sort of character with a problem to distract you. Prime examples would be War of the Worlds , The two bratty kids drove me nuts, especially the girl. The Day the Earth Stood Still is another example of a distracting side story with a brat in the middle of it! If it were not for those side stories I likely would have enjoyed the movies. When Worlds Collide would be a great movie to remake--updated of course--and no added distractions. The Devil at 4 O clock would make for a good rehash but you would have to have some fine acting to get away with it. Frankly, I can't think of anyone off the top of my head to play the two major parts and they would likely butcher it with some political statement that "just has to be made".--H

The Day the Earth Stood Still is another example of a distracting side story with a brat in the middle of it!

Wow, if you think THAT was the #1 core problem with that HORRIBLE remake, boy did you miss the point of what the original was about.

Original - number of people killed = 3 (Klaatu killed first, then two human guards as Gort revived and went off to get Klaatu.). Before then, shortly into the start of the movie, Gort had used a ray to destroy guns and tanks, but not injure the soldiers manning them.

Remake - number of people killed = MANY thousands, if not hundreds of thousands. Cities destroyed.

Original was a warning, with the Earth standing still as proof of power if the people of Earth kept onwards towards becoming a risk to other planets. Standing still, as in no power, EXCEPT for hospitals, airplanes in flight, and other special situation where lack of electrical power could harm people. PEACEFUL demonstration of power.

The Remake, ahhhh, let's just have a whirling crap-storm of "Kill-Kill-KILL".

I watched the remake in a theater, with a friend who like me had really liked the original. We were dumfounded at how awful the "movie that stole that name" was, can't call it a "remake" with such violence in place of peacefully standing still. Never saw it again, never will. Never.

Now, I don't mind attempts to remake a movie, it's all in how it is written and how they go about it, and if it has the spirit of the original.... presuming the original was good. If it's a crappy knock-off, well, there's crappy originals too.

The latest Star Trek movies..... I had high hopes for until I saw the first one. They trashed the core of what made Star Trek so good to begin with, throwing massive mind-numbing special effect onscreen instead of a good story. And then ruined the original ST universe by destroying the planet Vulcan, and having a "Horny Spock" that contradicted what Vulcans are supposed to be like.

i WILL say that I absolutely loved the remake of "Robinson Crusoe on Mars"

0bcfa1150cf6396ec276b9354670d6d8--vintage-movie-posters-vintage-movies.jpg

Even if they did give it a shorter name and "rewrote some scenes". :)

qv-111.jpg

Last edited:
Don't like remakes. I don't think I've ever seen one that was better than the original. Sure, they improve on the SPFX, sometimes cast better looking people, and give it THX-1138 sound, but usually the acting is worse, and the feel is completely lost.

They should remake nothing. Either go original or not release anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

if they really want to re-do something...DooM the movie starting w/ the script.
Rex

The tough thing about remakes is that most of them don't stand the test of being brought forward in time. It doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room to be creative with--effects not included--. Movies based in the future are easier to make for just this reason. That's also a driving force behind all the super hero movies that tend to be so successful. Coming from comic books , the makers have a ton more wiggle room to be creative and make the movie "NEW". Also they lend themselves to being episodic , so follow on movies and spin offs come easier. Of course , that's a bit off subject , but worth thinking about. Today's movie goers tend to be a little more technically savvy. Your not going to sell them on giant ants or leaches. The big lizard not withstanding-love that guy-. "Crack in the World" would be a good remake but you would have to change the ending--since in real life it would be a total life ending event! "Ice Station Zebra" might be a good candidate but the original was an "EVENT" and I have no reason to believe they could pull it off. Also, technically, some of the scenes don't hold water these days(no pun intended). I went through most of my movies tonight and I have the remakes next to the originals. In almost every case, the original was better. Horror/sci fi movies tend to do a "little" better with remakes. They have less tech and more story so they tend to stand alone on their own merits. Not all are good and some are downright bad. Hollywood needs to grow some balls and take a chance on more new ideas. Some will compare the new movies to old ones just because of similarities. "The Martian" is an example. The only similarity to "Robinson Crusoe on Mars" -some guy stranded on Mars--the similarities end here and the movie stands on it's own. Disney does a good job on remakes. They change the story -just enough-- and have-just enough--humor, and have just the right characters cast, to make you-not think about the original. That might be a good equation to use! They also stay on point with the story.

If you are going to remake/adapt something then do something creative with it. Possibly my favorite movie of all time is an adaptation of Homer's Odyssey. There have been many movies and mini-series on this tale, but by far my favorite is:

5107M4P37AL.jpg

Best Sci-Fi of the 50's hands down......

FORBIDDEN PLANET!

Original Robbie the Robot....Ann Francis running around scantily clad....the Krill monster and best special effects ever in it's era!

538768e56a0bf9552258c69b5daad45dcad443d5f3f1a6d18013f7f1dde84074-1.jpg a63faffb8932319513d4d241606efa3f--anne-francis-space-girl.jpg

828884303569793_mainphoto.jpg

Lokk at the list of young stars it....be really hard to beat the original!

2001 the original was a great movie...if you read the book first. it would be nice if someone could make a version that could be understood on a first view. if one were looking for a setting, a ring world or Dyson sphere would make for nice scenery if nothing else :).
Rex
The whole point of remakes is that they have a guaranteed audience, namely the fans of the original. It doesn't matter if you hated the remake because it wasn't true to the original - you went to see it and they've got your money.

By all means make a film about a ringworld. But don't make it a "re-imagining" of "2001". Make a film of "Ringworld".

Best Sci-Fi of the 50's hands down......

FORBIDDEN PLANET!

Original Robbie the Robot....Ann Francis running around scantily clad....the Krill monster and best special effects ever in it's era!

View attachment 328542 View attachment 328543

View attachment 328544

Lokk at the list of young stars it....be really hard to beat the original!

Jim, I agree that Forbidden Planet is a great film. This is why they should not redo it.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

perhaps they should quit farting around and make the 'Halo' movie, might have to change Cortana's costume a bit to something she can move about in w/o popping out though :).
Rex

They should roll up the streets and never make a movie again. Most movies that Hollywood makes end up make us citizens dumber. They also spew their horrible diarrhea of the mouth at ever chance they get.

Blessed are the Hollywood bean counters. It's all about the Benjamins Baby!

That said I will have to shell out big bucks to see that old fossil in the remake of Blade Runner. I will shell out big bucks to see that other old fossil in the second Star Wars movie. Having shelled out big bucks for that awful first Star Wars movie that killed off the first old fossil I mentioned, I guess I just have to go along with the crowd to keep the profit margins up and the old fossils employed and/or computer generated if they are kaput.

If you are going to remake/adapt something then do something creative with it. Possibly my favorite movie of all time is an adaptation of Homer's Odyssey. There have been many movies and mini-series on this tale, but by far my favorite is: (O Brother, where art thou)

+1000! loved that one, great movie, super soundtrack! (It's why I love bluegrass now!)

Blessed are the Hollywood bean counters. It's all about the Benjamins Baby!

That said I will have to shell out big bucks to see that old fossil in the remake of Blade Runner. .

Blade Runner is sacred to me.

Fortunately the upcoming release is a sequel, not a remake. I look forward to seeing how respectfully they treated the Blade Runner universe. Judgement is pending.

I would only vote to remake movies that had promise but ended up sucking badly. At that point, you can't really make it worse, right?

To that end, I would vote to remake:

Highlander 2
Battlefield Earth
Waterworld

And probably quite a few more.

The Emoji Movie. The original is so bad that they can't possibly make a worse remake. (Yes, I know it was a recent release, but that doesn't necessarily stop Hollywood...)

A new Highlander is happening. A reboot, remake..whichever. When I first heard about it, there was some god awful actor rumored to be playing Connor. Now I don't know who is playing him. It has been about 10 years in the make. The first one was good but after that... eh. Seems like it was a bit low budget, grainy, dark, poor audio. A reboot may be a good thing.

Not all reboots are bad.

Star Trek - I am a Star Wars fan (the seventh film was good, it felt like Star Wars to me). Never saw, nor cared to see, any of the original Star Trek films. I liked the remakes which I am sure had a lot to do with me not watching the originals.

Even the new Ghostbusters.. I sat down to watch it and it was entertaining. Great? No but not horrible.

Have yet to watch the new Ninja Turtles, mainly because of the way they are portrayed. Big, ugly, slang talking. No desire to see the first reboot. But when Beebop and Rocksteady showed up in the second one..well I need to watch them both now darn it. I grew up watching the cartoons and playing the video games and playing with the toys, errr I mean action figures.

Christian Bale Batman movies are good. Better than the rest, with maybe the exception of Michael Keaton's first Batman (the Jokers ridiculous revolver aside).

I am a bit ashamed to say I have never been able to sit through Blade Runner. I tried once but couldn't get into it.

My favorite Robin Hood was probably the Kevin Costner one. Although there was no archery contest and a few other things that were a bit goofy, but I liked it. Well...Men in Tights was pretty good too. LOL. "Did you say Abe Lincoln?"

Can't think of any remakes I would like to see. Scared they would get some idiot to play the main folks and would ruin the franchise for me. The old Trinity movies would be neat to see redone if they were redone well. No Leo, Will Smith, Channing Tatum, Ryan Gossling, Tofer Grace, that long haired sissy from "3rd Rock" or professional wrestlers, to name a few, need be in it.

Halo? Sheesh. Let's get a real game made into a movie. God of War or Mass Effect. Heck, let Disney do something with Zelda. Keep Peter Jackson out of it, Orlando Bloom doesn't need to play Link!! He would probably make an appearance as Legolas and kill Ganon.

Hype up a remake of groundhog day...........then just re-release the original.

Back