What shoud Hollywood redo / re-release?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Christine, only this time follow the book better this go around. Also, judicious use of CGI could help to keep Hollywood from destroying so many classic cars. I loved the original movie, but the book was better.

I would like to see a theatrical or decent budget series around the Piers Anthony Xanth books. A great land of magic and humor I read as a kid.

However the recent "Shannara Chronicles" or whatever based on Terry Brooks books should be wiped prom the face of the Earth. It was an awful atrocity that the writers should be blackballed for life for doing.

Maybe a set of movies around the "Sten" books (Bunch/Cole).

And JJ Abrahms does great work on new material but don't let him near a cinematic remake.

I'm pretty much in the "remakes are terrible/stupid/silly" camp. But, as with most things, there are some exceptions.

Terry Gilliam's "12 Monkeys" is an absolutely brilliant film. While not exactly a "remake", it does sort of qualify. It was "inspired" by the short French film "La Jetee". "12 Monkeys" is very different, and it's fantastic.

"Vanilla Sky" is an interesting remake. The original film - "Abre los Ojos" (Open Your Eyes) - was Spanish and starred Penelope Cruz. "Vanilla Sky", the English remake, also starred Penelope Cruz. It wasn't a great film, but I did still like it well enough and I thought it was better than the original (even with Tom Cruise, who I generally can't stand).

"The Departed" was excellent.....and better than "Infernal Affairs" which was the original it was based on.

Another not-quite-but-technically-a-remake that is quite good is "The Talented Mr. Ripley". There was an earlier film that was "adapted" from the same book called "Plein Soleil" (or Purple Moon), although it was much more "loosely based on". "Ripley" was more true to the original source, and is a better film by far.

The Jeff Bridges version of "True Grit" was better.....sorry John Wayne fans but it's true.

Still, I'm definitely wary of anything being remade, and can't think of anything that I think should be.

s6

I would like to see a decent movie version of Dune. I wonder if Peter Jackson would take on the project.

I second this one. I thought I saw something was in the works. It seems like there are enough books to make for a long term franchise.

and.......

as obviously flawed (and downright awful at times) as Lynch's "Dune" is.....I still kinda like it (in a weird sort of way).

s6

Now that I've thought a bit, one character I would love to see made into a good movie is The Shadow. Never once in the history of film has anyone tried to do The Shadow right. They usually come up with some amalgam of the pulps and the radio series, and in my opinion, those two don't mix.

I would like to see a decent movie of The Shadow where he uses disguises, has agents like Harry, Clive, Hawkeye, etc., and does not turn invisible or mention the Orient in any way. Like the early pulps. Oh, and Lamont Cranston would have to be one of his disguises, not his real identity.

and.......

as obviously flawed (and downright awful at times) as Lynch's "Dune" is.....I still kinda like it (in a weird sort of way).

s6

Same here...although I'd still like to see a good remake. However, I have my doubts if that is possible in one film. And, please don't stretch book one into three movies!

Although they seem unoriginal on the surface, and indeed many are, I'm all for seeing remakes provided they do 1 of 2 things:

1) Remake the original in a novel and interesting way.
2) Remake the original in an equally faithful yet superior way.

Few movies achieve #2 ("It" is perhaps the most recent example) but #1 has been done more than a few times.

Yeah "Dune" is overdue for a better remake.

"2001" could be updated, but trying to outdo the original seems like a terrifying endeavor.

What about "Tremors?" I still like the original, even though each sequel got progressively worse. Although the original was fine, I could see a better, more modern version getting made.

This is a great thread. It's really given me something to think about. That might be a sad statement of my life--just kidding. I do agree with some of the possible remakes. "Dune" would be an excellent choice. The original set a high bar at the time--not sure how you could get away with a remake and not be disappointed. The same goes for "Forbidden Planet". It would be a great candidate but the bar is so high you can't get gimmicky with it. It would have to be brought forward in time and yet stay a little retro . That's a tough gig. "Kronos" is one I would like to see. I'd leave that one to the Japanese, they're good at that kind of stuff! "Earth vs the Flying Saucers". I can see that one but again it has to be a bit retro. No crazy alien ships, just nice sleek saucers.None of that "Mars Attacks" crap! I have to agree with "True Grit" just outstanding! One movie that would be prime to remake is "Bat 21". If you have not seen it you should!

Just taking any "B" movie and turning it into a block buster would be challenging. Ever see "Wild Women Of Wongo? The acting and verbalization is so deadpan yet 'serious' it's laughable. Yes, it is horrible. That's what a "B" movie is. This gets two "B's" as far as I'm concerned. It's bad, m'kay?

I would like to see a theatrical or decent budget series around the Piers Anthony Xanth books. A great land of magic and humor I read as a kid.

Heck, I'm still reading them... What about his Split Infinity series? Those could be an interesting movie (plus there's a LOT less books). Or even the Incarnations of Immortality series...

Heck, I'm still reading them... What about his Split Infinity series? Those could be an interesting movie (plus there's a LOT less books). Or even the Incarnations of Immortality series...

Split Infinity would need to basically be X rated or at least NC-17. As for Incarnations, I believe On a Pale Horse was due for cinematic treatment sometime in the late 90s but it never got off the ground.

Split Infinity would need to basically be X rated or at least NC-17. As for Incarnations, I believe On a Pale Horse was due for cinematic treatment sometime in the late 90s but it never got off the ground.

Oh yeah, there was a LOT of sweaty snugglebunnying in that series, wasn't there... Forgot about that. It's been a LOOONG time since I read them.

Well, on Proton, clothes were essentially outlawed for most people, and as I recall one of the main characters was a unicorn who was for a time sexually insatiable requiring her man to use magic to "keep going" so I'm thinking yeah, not gonna slide through with an R rating...

There is so much good fiction, science fiction and otherwise, out there that there is absolutely no reason that anything needs to be redone, re-release, rebooted, etc. The film/media companies have gotten in the habit of spending such outrageous amounts of money one these films that they are terrified that they might not make money and refuse to take risks as much as possible. That, in turn, leads them to hedge their bets and recycle known products. But given the really great, low budget fan productions that we've seen, I'd bet that they could take the money from one "blockbuster" production, divide it five (or even ten) ways, give that money to lesser known, but highly talented, directors and producers, and make five or ten decent films with entirely new ideas, and of those, one might be a real breakout movie that allows them to invest more in a sequel or three.

I would like to see a Pulp Fiction II. All the main characters are still around so you could still have pretty much the same cast. Tarontino is one weird director.

Here's what actually IS in the works...

Amazon is dramatically ramping up its production for next year, moving forward with three new high-concept series, Variety has learned. These new efforts represent a significant production investment from the studio, which is currently in preproduction, production or post on 67 TV series and 20 movies around the world.

• “Lazarus,” based on a comic book by Greg Rucka (“Marvel’s Jessica Jones”), is set in an alternative near future, where the world has been divided among 16 rival families, who run their territories in a feudal system. Each family has allies and enemies among the other families. To crush uprisings and fight wars, most families have a Lazarus: a one-person kill squad.

• “Snow Crash,” which is based on Neal Stephenson’s cult novel, is a one-hour science fiction drama set in futuristic America. In reality, Hiro Protagonist delivers pizza for Uncle Enzo’s CosoNostra Pizza Inc., but in the Metaverse he’s a warrior prince. Plunging headlong into the enigma of a new computer virus that’s striking down hackers everywhere, he races along the neon-lit streets on a search-and-destroy mission for the shadowy virtual villain.

• “Ringworld,” a co-production with MGM, is based on Larry Niven’s sci-fi book series from the 70’s. It tells the story of Louis Gridley Wu, a bored man celebrating his 200th birthday in a technologically-advanced, future Earth. Upon being offered one of the open positions on a voyage, Louis joins a young woman and two aliens to explore Ringworld, the remote artificial ring beyond “Known Space.”

TFA: https://variety.com/2017/tv/news/amazon-studios-lazarus-snow-crash-ringworld-1202576048/

I guess everyone knows the new Bladerunner movie is coming out. It is supposedly based on Phillip Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep". If you've ever read the book, you're as puzzled as I am about how they got THAT movie from THAT book. "The Man in the High Castle" has also made it into video. The series is a lot better than the book. One book of his I think would make a good movie is "Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said". It's a somewhat prophetic novel about a distopian near-future where governmental ID is required for everything. The protagonist is one of the beautiful people, a widely recognized media star, idol to millions. One day he wakes to find out he is not. There is no record of his identity, no record of his existence. He has no money since this is now an almost cashless society. He can't get a job without ID. He has no cash. He can't even get a place to stay without ID. The biggest problem is that in this police state, everyone has an ID, nobody is allowed to be a nobody, yet there is no record of his existence. Coming soon to a reality near you...

I guess everyone knows the new Bladerunner movie is coming out. It is supposedly based on Phillip Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep". If you've ever read the book, you're as puzzled as I am about how they got THAT movie from THAT book. "The Man in the High Castle" has also made it into video. The series is a lot better than the book. One book of his I think would make a good movie is "Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said". It's a somewhat prophetic novel about a distopian near-future where governmental ID is required for everything. The protagonist is one of the beautiful people, a widely recognized media star, idol to millions. One day he wakes to find out he is not. There is no record of his identity, no record of his existence. He has no money since this is now an almost cashless society. He can't get a job without ID. He has no cash. He can't even get a place to stay without ID. The biggest problem is that in this police state, everyone has an ID, nobody is allowed to be a nobody, yet there is no record of his existence. Coming soon to a reality near you...

Ya know, on that note , "Fahrenheit 451" would be a good remake!

Back