Need decal help- old Estes waterslides curl up

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles_McG

Ciderwright
Reaction score
So the little camera target markets (I think) on my nearly finished Estes 2048 1/100 Saturn 1B won't lie flat once they dry. The edges curl up.

I tried dullcote, hoping it would hold them down when it dried. No luck.

Any other tricks I should try? Maybe tiny beads of CA, and hold down with a point while it cures?

I changed the kit decals slightly- I made my own SA-206 decals, so it can be Skylab 2.

Microsol and Microset are the guys to use. Microset allows you plenty of time to position your decals, while Microsol helps the decal lay down on the model. Allows decals to fill down into panel lines and grooves. Great products.

Microsol and Microset are the guys to use. Microset allows you plenty of time to position your decals, while Microsol helps the decal lay down on the model. Allows decals to fill down into panel lines and grooves. Great products.

+1 Microsol is king IMO for softening decals.

I've had that happen to one rocket, all the decal's edges curled up. Turns out it wasn't the decal, but he painted surface I was applying to. Some decals refuse to stick onto 'flat' paint.

I ended up with a water & wood glue mixture, painted under the decal to stick it down. Took a bit to get ti stuck, but eventually got them down.

This is a flat paint job. Hmmm. I could thin out some Titebond NRND. It dries nice and clear. If I can find Mirosol today, I'll try that first.

Back