Did anyone grab the new Madcow Orangutan?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A-N-D-R-E-W

Reaction score

If so I would love to see some pictures of it when you receive it, already looking for more projects :p

Details from the website below:

High Power Rocket
Pre-Slotted Florescent Orange Fiberglass Airframe
Black Fiberglass Nose Cone
Black G10 Fins and Centering Rings
Rail Buttons
Nylon Shock Cord
Altimeter Bay includes extra bulkplates and all hardware (sled not included)
Specifications:

Length: 70.5"
Diameter 4.0"
Weight: 8lbs
Motor Mount: 54mm
Fins: 6 each 1/8" G10

https://www.madcowrocketry.com/4-fiberglass-orangutan/

I got the email announcing the special deal and was very tempted. It looks great but I have too many other projects at this time.

Just the other day I was thinking we haven't seen a new kit in some time then I get the email announcing then Orangutan. Sure is a good looking rocket.

But no. I didn't grab one. No money for a new kit ATM. I have my eye out for a few items in particular it they pop up in the yard sale, other than that my rocket money is going to motors until next year... Or "Black" sales if the have something I can't live without.

If so I would love to see some pictures of it when you receive it, already looking for more projects :p

Details from the website below:

High Power Rocket
Pre-Slotted Florescent Orange Fiberglass Airframe
Black Fiberglass Nose Cone
Black G10 Fins and Centering Rings
Rail Buttons
Nylon Shock Cord
Altimeter Bay includes extra bulkplates and all hardware (sled not included)
Specifications:

Length: 70.5"
Diameter 4.0"
Weight: 8lbs
Motor Mount: 54mm
Fins: 6 each 1/8" G10

https://www.madcowrocketry.com/4-fiberglass-orangutan/

Here's the Orangutan unpacked

Only two centering rings. I was hoping for three but two will work ok.

Madcow Orangutan Unpacked.jpg

Here's the Orangutan unpacked

Only two centering rings. I was hoping for three but two will work ok.

The shipped orange looks far better than the orange used in their marketing materials. I may have considered buying one if I knew that beforehand.

The Orangutan is coming along. Still have to do internal and external fillets, motor retainer, aft rail button, nose cone tracker bay and decide on an altimeter and wire up the Avbay and charge canisters.

Madcow Orangutan.jpg

The Orangutan is coming along. Still have to do internal and external fillets, motor retainer, aft rail button, nose cone tracker bay and decide on an altimeter and wire up the Avbay and charge canisters.
Now you have 6 fins to deal with instead of 3. With the staggered fins of the Reaper, you have to worry about whether or not the 1515 rail will be too tight a fit between the main fin and mini fin.
At least with the Orang' one doesn't have to worry about that. Kurt

Not sure why so many need to do ground test on rockets of this size? Use 1.5-2 grams of BP and your good to go. Its has worked for me for 25 years.

Just the other day I was thinking we haven't seen a new kit in some time then I get the email announcing then Orangutan. Sure is a good looking rocket.

But no. I didn't grab one. No money for a new kit ATM. I have my eye out for a few items in particular it they pop up in the yard sale, other than that my rocket money is going to motors until next year... Or "Black" sales if the have something I can't live without.

Get your pocket book ready I here there is new kits coming from MC in time for the sales.

The fins lined up nicely with an angle iron and clamps. Paul, probably won't be ready by this month's launch. Still a lot to do not to mention figuring out how to do the ground testing.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Jim, as wise person once said to me: good things come to those who wait. So, I'll happily wait till she's good & ready!

And someone else said: if something is worth doing right, take to time and do it right..

So, I look forward to the day, whenever that may be. It'll be a nice surprise that one day at the field! :D

Back