The GAMES on Tim Lehr. The Hellcat Challenger Challenge!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SS/EA 6BBL 71 Cuda

Reaction score
So after talking to my good friend Tim Lehr about his recent visit to Byron Dragway with his newest Challenger...I got thinking. Time to get my Cat out and, go over to Indianapolis tonight for Wild Wednesday Street Car night.

It's been 17 years since i last raced down the Quarter mile and, tonight we are ready...
New Helmet. :D Check!
Air Can to play with tire pressure. :D Check!
Mountain Dews in a Cooler to keep my reaction times up. :D Check!

He runs an automatic (That shifts in 16 thousands of a second.)
I've got a fast left leg and, right arm.

We both have 10.8 inch wide All Season Radials to put 707 horse down...Pffffftttt....

He ran a spin induced 12 flat on a car that can run 10.80's with Drag Radials in good air.
I'm breathing air.

Anyone want to guesstimate my times?

I'll post them tonight when i get home.

IF...IF...it does good, i'll have a set of Cheater Slicks and, an Aluminum Driveshaft sitting on my porch very soon.

Can't let the Wildman upstage me here.

Thank god the Clutch and, Syncros are under warranty...

We'll find out soon- This is going to be fun!:eek:

No CF shaft? Pssht :-D

4400# Car + $1400 Carbon Flubber Driveshaft = BABOOOMF! As witnessed here (20 seconds in) on 900 crank horsepower-

[YOUTUBE]Udtv7SzAq6Q[/YOUTUBE]

I've heard that ALOT over the years (usually in the next lane when dumping tons of N2O into motors) but, i did once have a 30# Torque Convertor try to take my right foot off. Thank gosh for SFI shields and, ballistic blankets! :sigh:

Hope you live Gus-buddy.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Ohhhh....:rolleyes: I think i will o' dark one! I would not be bragging to say that there are probably only a few people here who have taken more passes down the dragstrip than myself. Just remember though IF you choose to stab and, steer that there was only ONE Ronnie Sox and, the rest are just trying to keep up. :dark:

I smell a street drag MWP Friday night at Wildman's... We'll clear the streets in town (like that would take much... :wink: ) point 'em north, drop the flag at Tim's driveway, and first one to Rte92 wins!!! :dark:

Hate to tell you this, but ... Tim's got an O8000 in his tail pipe.

Last edited:
If you still have a stereo, A/C, backseats and other gratuitous weight in that car you are not serious.

I smell a street drag MWP Friday night at Wildman's... We'll clear the streets in town (like that would take much... :wink: ) point 'em north, drop the flag at Tim's driveway, and first one to Rte92 wins!!! :dark:

I stopped street racing on "The back roads" in 1991 after a good friend of mine was killed in an accident.
He was 26 and, he did not cause the accident but, suffered the worst of all involved.
Do you think anyone stopped to render assistance?
The answer is no...
He was found 80' out into a cornfield with his head shoved into his chest cavity.
He was found by two people who passed by and, noticed the carnage.
I learned about the accident the next day when i walked into work.

Sometimes a grown man can cry and, rightfully so cry.
It was the only time i ever wore my Air Force Dress Blues to a funeral and, the last time i ever would. He was like a brother to me...:sigh:

If you still have a stereo, A/C, backseats and other gratuitous weight in that car you are not serious.

Ohhhh...but it makes things so much more funnerage! ;)

Ok- Here's the news. Tim's record still stands. Why? Traction fellow Rocket Scientists! Five passes tonight, NO CARNAGE, drove home with the AC on and, Sirrius XM blaring the best of Ozzy's Boneyard!

Best Reaction Time- .024
Best 60 Foot Time- 2.272 (Major Suckage!)
Best 330 Foot Time- 5.801
Best 1/8th Mile Time- 8.450
Best 1/8th Mile Speed- 94.51 mph
Best 1000 Foot Time- 10.663
Best 1/4 Mile Time- 12.526
Best 1/4 Mile Speed- 121.68 mph

This is what i see:surprised:

Were losing it all at the line- were pulling hard from the 1/8th on to the end like a Freight Train.

Launch RPM was 1500 easing out the clutch and, feeding the power in...with lots of spin and, shunder.

Give me a 1.6 60ft time and, this thing would pull high 11's...
The car is pulling the trap speed of a high 10 second car...

Put in/on-
1. An Aluminum DSS Driveshaft.
2. Two Sticky Mickey Thompson Street ET R Drag Radials (305 45R 18's).
3. Two Lightweight 18x10 Wheels.
4. Shortened Sway Bar Links.

This car will run 11.5-12.0

Oh...and, i NEVER missed a gear tonight with a stock Shifter that ALOT of people describe as "Swimming in Oatmeal".

Gus KNOWS what he's getting for Christmas! ;)

Oh and, Adrian...Please understand I was not chewing on you but, this story I rarely ever tell. To me Fathers Day is not only the day I cherish time spent with my Father but the rest of the day is spent wondering.
What if?

Ever since Fathers Day 1991 at 1:30 am

Sometimes I hope there is an afterlife so that I can see/hug my friend again.

Put an old 2 speed GM turbohydromatic on it and it will be a 10sec car.....

Oh and, Adrian...Please understand I was not chewing on you but, this story I rarely ever tell. To me Fathers Day is not only the day I cherish time spent with my Father but the rest of the day is spent wondering.
What if?

Ever since Fathers Day 1991 at 1:30 am

Sometimes I hope there is an afterlife so that I can see/hug my friend again.

Gus, I understand...

I had one of those in a '68 Chevy Bel Air 4 door land ark with a HUGE (not...) 307 cid plant. The trans was indestructible. We were doing 70 mph on day and my brother reached over and thought he shifted to neutral, but missed and went into R... Oops. The engine just went cough, cough and died. Put it in N, and restarted it, and only slowed down to 55... That trans would handle reverse drops like nothin. Get it goin 20 mph in reverse, throw it in D, and mash the throttle. Smoke show... However the motor mounts were NOT happy... Luckily, it had the factory update cable ties from the heads to the shock towers. :eyeroll: :wink:

Actually John the real trick is many close ratio gears in the Trans-
The Powerglide is an excellent transmission that has been refined to a point never thought of over the years with many Excellent builders but...
When you can keep an engine running in its powerband (sometimes very narrow) and, the rpm drop to a minimum before the gear change- You go faster!
Case in point is the new FCA 8 Speed Auto and, the Ford/GM (collaboration) 10 Speed Auto.
I ran a 2018 ZL-1 (twice) last night with the 10 Speed and, he was gone baby gone!...:surprised:

That's too fast crazy. 10 speed is almost a CVT.

Gus, post a pic of the cat. It's a hell of a car isn't it.

I don't miss the powerslide days. Wind out in 1st and....and..hello.. and there is 2nd, aargh

Nice try Gus, you were working, the tires aint, nothing else you can do. You will pickup more than a half/sec once that's taken care of. I predict low 11's soon [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Last edited:
Even though I'm on vacation and, quite a ways from home- I've been running through a bunch of 18 and 17 Inch Wheel/Tire combos to fix the problem. With a possible re-try in October.
The reason i won't cut the car up is that it's my backup vehicle for work...
My employer DOES NOT tolerate petty excuses for not being able to show up to work and, I have had issues with my last Primary vehicle going down for maintenance in the middle of a Blizzard.

If I want to go back to Bracket drag racing again, I'll just pull out my Sixpack Superbee and, freshen it up.

The Hellcat is my backup vehicle and, one AWESOME roadtrip car for sure!;)

Nice try Gus, you were working, the tires aint, nothing else you can do. You will pickup more than a half/sec once that's taken care of. I predict low 11's soon [emoji106]
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

You ain't $&@?'n walking it out or dropping the clutch at 1500....NOTHING made it hook.
It NEEDS Sticky Mickey ET Street R's for sure!

18" conversion with wheels= $950.
17" conversion with wheels= $1600.
15" conversion (WITH smaller rear brake kit)= $2500 WITHOUT the Aluminum Driveshaft figured in on any of the packages.

That's a lot of Cabbage!

Gus, post a pic of the cat. It's a hell of a car isn't it.

When Gus gets done "upgrading it" for those Midwest tractor pulls... (real drag racing)...

[video]https://imgur.com/W6L1yMp[/video]

W6L1yMp - Imgur.jpg

Back