• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Scan Of The Original Estes Citation Patriot (KC-3) Instructions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
You may be aware that the instructions found on JimZ's site are for the Estes Patriot (0652) kit. However, they are not the same as the Estes Citation Series Patriot (KC-3).

JimZ's instructions have the white one-piece blow molded nosecone. The version I am looking for is the original Citation Series Patriot, which had a black two-piece injection molded nosecone. Unless you've got instructions for the 0652 that has a difference from the version found on JimZ's site, I'm not looking for it.

Thanks!
Jim

[EDIT] Thanks to LW Bercini, I've got what I needed... I'll post more when I wake up (it's 1:30am right now).

LW Bercini's scans of the Citation Patriot (KC-3)'s Instructions and Decals: (Please Note: The Estes logo is white, not gold)

JimZ's images of the 0652 kit's instructions and decals:

What I've uncovered so far...

The (boxed) Estes Citation Series Patriot (KC-3) was slightly shorter and heavier than the later (bagged) Estes Patriot (0652). This was due primarily because the nosecone of the KC-3 was the two-piece injection molded nosecone instead of the one-piece blow molded nosecone found in the 0652 kit. I measured the exposed length of the two-piece nosecone at 6 19/32" (6.59375"), unlike the claimed* length of 6 5/8" (6.625") (Yes... that's a 1/32 of an inch difference). However, the 1970's era sample of a one-piece blow molded PNC-60AH I just measured came out to be 6 23/32" (6.71875") which is 1/8" longer than it's predecessor, and 3/32 of an inch longer than specs given in the catalogs**. Incidentally, I was recently told by a source that one reason the two piece nosecone was changed out was that it was very tight, and this could cause problems with the flight. I've got a sample here in China, and I can vouch that the two piece is quite tight... That's fine for a payload section (such as found on an Omega (K-52P), but not for a kit that pops the nosecone off for recovery (e.g. Citation Patriot (KC-3), Citation Der Red Max (KC-2)).

The red bars of the "bunting" decal were longer in the KC-3 than the 0652. The reason was that the KC-3's box was wider than the facecard/bag of the 0652's packaging. My measurements put the KC-3's bars at 2 3/4" long, and the 0652's bars were 2 7/32" long.

I've read somewhere (don't ask, I can't find it now) that the gold decal changed over time. Originally it was apparently a bright gold, but later changed to a browner gold/bronze color.

I would love to see a better scan of the 0652's instructions, as well as the fins, and decals (along with a ruler for scale), as JimZ's images are a tad small (low res), grainy, and the fin image didn't match my personal sample's shape.

*In the Estes Custom Parts listing for the PNC-60AH (PN 71014) on pg 6. Also, the color options was limited to black, and the net weight was listed as 1.4 oz.
** for example the 1982 catalog's listing for the PNC-60AH (Product No. 8021), on page 61 lists the length as 6 5/8" and the average weight was listed as 1.0 oz.

Last edited:
... Incidentally, I was recently told by a source that one reason the two piece nosecone was changed out was that it was very tight, and this could cause problems with the flight. I've got a sample here in China, and I can vouch that the two piece is quite tight... That's fine for a payload section (such as found on an Omega (K-52P), but not for a kit that pops the nosecone off for recovery (e.g. Citation Patriot (KC-3), Citation Der Red Max (KC-2)).

That wasn't the case for me.
I built and flew a KC-3 Citation Patriot. My brother and I both built and flew KC-2 Citation Red Max models. All had the two-piece black plastic nose cone.
We never had a problem with the nose cone being too tight to eject from the rocket body in the many flights both of us made.
All three kits are still in my collection of built and flown rockets.

Back