Lost rocket location on Android w/ Eggfinder

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ascastil

Reaction score
Tested out my Eggfinder today in my Vulcanite with a G64. Launch was perfect. Eggfinder worked fine, gave me coordinates on my lcd. Have it connected to my phone via bluetooth, both lcd and phone in each hand. Walking over to to the rocket, my phone stopped showing the location of the rocket, then it popped back up. I started walking again and the location stopped again and didnt come back. I only waited about 30sec the 2nd time it went off and gave up and just went to where the rocket landed. When I got up to the rocket standing next to it, I restarted Rocketfinder and it showed the location again. Any ideas what happened?

Edit: Charged the tx battery and tested before launch. New AA batteries in rx.

What application were you using? A screwy B/T module with intermittent connections can do that. Usually something like the Android program "GPS Rocket Locator" locks the last known position on the screen (as long as it doesn't lose power).
If the LCD receiver is reset, you can display the last received fix by holding the button down for at least 3 seconds at the “Waiting for Fix” display. If a valid fix is subsequently received, it will be displayed instead.
Kurt

I was using the Rocket Locator app on my Android.

I read about the reset, but with the rx inside the lcd case, kinda a pita to unscrew 4 screws to get to that button. I know I could if absolutely needed, but since I knew where the rocket landed I didnt.

I guess I could look at the BT connections. Playing around with it around my house I never lost the location. Played hide and seek with the wife, lol.

I was using the Rocket Locator app on my Android.

I read about the reset, but with the rx inside the lcd case, kinda a pita to unscrew 4 screws to get to that button. I know I could if absolutely needed, but since I knew where the rocket landed I didnt.

I guess I could look at the BT connections. Playing around with it around my house I never lost the location. Played hide and seek with the wife, lol.

You put the momentary push button on the inside of the case? I'm talking about the button you hold down to program the LCD. Probably not a good solution. If GPS Rocket Locator has a locked position I haven't seen it disappear once it goes out of range.
Kurt

Tested out my Eggfinder today in my Vulcanite with a G64. Launch was perfect. Eggfinder worked fine, gave me coordinates on my lcd. Have it connected to my phone via bluetooth, both lcd and phone in each hand. Walking over to to the rocket, my phone stopped showing the location of the rocket, then it popped back up. I started walking again and the location stopped again and didnt come back. I only waited about 30sec the 2nd time it went off and gave up and just went to where the rocket landed. When I got up to the rocket standing next to it, I restarted Rocketfinder and it showed the location again. Any ideas what happened?

Edit: Charged the tx battery and tested before launch. New AA batteries in rx.

You're saying the rocket location stopped displaying on the *PHONE* while you were walking toward the rocket, and it sounds like you had a good visual idea where the rocket was. This sounds like it could be a bad Bluetooth connection. Possibly something wrong with the Bluetooth module you installed inside the LCD, or could even be an issue with the Bluetooth in your phone.

Check over all the connections inside the LCD, and replace the HC-06 BT module and wires. (inexpensive // doesn't hurt to have an extra one or two lying around.)
Suggest - make your phone "forget" any other paired BT items. Pair only with the HC-06 inside the Eggfinder, and test extensively.

Extra credit.
- After your rocket lands, take a photo of the LCD coordinate display. That way you have it just-in-case.
- Install an app like "GPS Status" or "Polaris Navigation" on your phone. Something that allows you to manually enter coordinates in case you have another glitch with "Rocket Finder".
- Bring along a hand-held GPS

Since Eggfinder LCD build 1.05, if you hold the button down for a few seconds at the "Waiting for Fix" screen it will display the last saved coordinates. This was done specifically for cases in which it may have been somehow turned off accidentally (yes, it was me...). The fixes are saved after every 10th fix or 10 seconds.

If you lose the Bluetooth connection you can always use a navigation app and "go to" the coordinates on the display. I strongly recommend using the LCD receiver with Bluetooth vs. the RX "dongle" with Bluetooth, because you have the display as a backup. Did you try navigating with the coordinates instead of the Bluetooth app?

BTW, you can "reset" the LCD reciever by turning it off and back on. In the next build of the software (due out in a month or so) you will be able to go directly to "Waiting for Fix" by holding the button down at power-up. If you have not already added an external button, I recommend doing so... there will be a number of desireable functions that require it.

Last edited:
Back