• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

8" DX3 components from below the A/V bay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrkennedy2

Reaction score
I learned yesterday that a spinning 8" fiberglass booster section under drogue can cut even the best Kevlar harness. :y: Descending from approximately 4000' into a rocky canyon, free-fall, made a mess out of the bottom half of Crowd Pleaser. I went to the Madcow website and under components they didn't list any 8" stuff. Bummer. I would have sent them an email directly but didn't find any link there. Regardless, I'm going to rebuild her some way or another, repaint it all red, and christen her "RecoveRED"!

I reckon I'll need:

1- 60" x 8" slotted tube
3- 3/16" fins
1- 33" x 98mm motor mount tube
3- centering rings

Next time, duc-tape on Kevlar at the edge contact areas!

I learned yesterday that a spinning 8" fiberglass booster section under drogue can cut even the best Kevlar harness. Next time, duc-tape on Kevlar at the edge contact areas!

Next time "cut" the inside edge of the BT with some sand paper. Parts fit together easier that way also.

One other thing I do is attach a tubular nylon sleeve over the Kevlar which extends about 6" into and out of booster tube when Kevlar is taunt.

Taking the edge off the BT and a nylon sleeve, and it will look better that duc-tape! I reckon I could put in a few stitches to hold the sleeve in-place...

Much thanks!

Hi Randy,

Sorry to see this! I saw you showing Joe the kevlar harness later but didn't realize it had just happened.

It was indeed a pleasure to see it fly! I have these 2 mediocre pictures. I also have launch video, decent but not super close iphone footage from the stands, PM me if you want it. I flew the Blue Angels DX3 for my L1 cert soon after your flight, you were probably out recovering.

I almost hate to ask... where did the booster land?

6c9c4319-1118-47fb-8175-8757cde9e84d-o.jpg6fc33cee-a02c-4dc0-b645-b7620c4607a7-o.jpg

Hi Randy,

Sorry to see this! I saw you showing Joe the kevlar harness later but didn't realize it had just happened.

It was indeed a pleasure to see it fly! I have these 2 mediocre pictures. I also have launch video, decent but not super close iphone footage from the stands, PM me if you want it. I flew the Blue Angels DX3 for my L1 cert soon after your flight, you were probably out recovering.

I almost hate to ask... where did the booster land?

View attachment 328297View attachment 328298

Much thanks! I'd love to see the vid. The upper half landed gently about 500' east of the eastern fence-line. The bottom half hit about 800' east of that point...

I saw your L1 completion! Go Navy! That was a great shot. As I recall, nearly a tail-slide at apogee it was so straight-up.

I plan on rebuilding Crowd Pleaser but parts are $$$ and I am juggling too many hobbies at this time. (Too many hobbies, is that possible?) Still trying to figure it all out. Bottom line, it was my error and I think I will have learned from it. :wink:

Back