A supersonic Apogee Aspire...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing, except access to H-motors.
In the US, you can buy only one (1) at a time for your cert attempt. I am not sure if the same rules apply in Australia.
If you have a vendor on-site with ample inventory, this should not be a constraint either.

a

Ah ha! That’s it. I knew there was something that made it harder.

No dramas for me - vendor is onsite.

Hmmm... the mind boggles.

Aspera II - going to 4796' (1462m) at Mach ~1.1

Shock Cord snapped, NC with GPS and Altimeter3 recovered, airframe lost...

Aspera III in planning - 3rd time is a charm!

[video=youtube;tdX-6FYVQ_c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdX-6FYVQ_c[/video]

Congrats on nice build and successfully breaking Mach.

Funny, in this hemisphere we use reloadable rockets and sometime single use engines.
Sounds like this was a case of the opposite ! :wink:

Emphasize, I speak as a veteran of numerous less than optimal flights.

High hopes for Aspera III

Congrats on nice build and successfully breaking Mach.

Funny, in this hemisphere we use reloadable rockets and sometime single use engines.
Sounds like this was a case of the opposite ! :wink:

Emphasize, I speak as a veteran of numerous less than optimal flights.

High hopes for Aspera III

LOL - I like it:

snrkl: “flying reloadable motors and disposable airframes since 2017...”

Perhaps I just put the GPS electronics in the RMS motor casing, rear eject that for recovery , and make airframes designed to turn into confetti at apogee...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LOL - I like it:

snrkl: “flying reloadable motors and disposable airframes since 2017...”

Perhaps I just put the GPS electronics in the RMS motor casing, rear eject that for recovery , and make airframes designed to turn into confetti at apogee...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Use a composite tube to hold the tracker, add fins builtin for extra strength... Oh wait, that's called a Mongoose [emoji6]

Sent from my LGL44VL using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Ok, so Aspera III is nearing completion.

A few design changes since I and II:

Shock cord is now 3mm Kevlar - if the cord breaks before the rocket I’ll be annoyed.

Cord is attached through a hole in the tube coupler that I’ve reinforced with a cut engine block:

IMG_8428.jpg

As you can see I’ve made an ever so slight channel for the cord to pass on the outside of the coupler. Tied with a reef (square) knot oriented to make sure the cord heading up the airframe wants to go that way.

New nose cone designed to have a 20mm longer shoulder so the electronics aren’t quite as tightly packed:

IMG_1519876234.154817.jpg

Same strengthening at the attachment point as last time - cardboard disks layers with epoxy inside and out:

IMG_1519876293.742412.jpg

Holes are a little closer together this time - I didn’t notice till I did the side by side.. not sure what effect that will have.

I have fin fillets and launch rail guide to do now before painting.

And here is my dilemma:

I grabbed some 29mm 3D printed conformal rail guides from apogee.

I know this rocket is small (510mm) and doesn’t need two guides.

Now I can’t decide whether I should put the one guide I’m using on or behind the CG.

My gut says between the CG and CP (pictured) but I’m having trouble thinking my way through the impacts. I’ve launched exactly ZERO rockets off a rail so far, so inputs are sought and welcome!!

IMG_1519876612.742078.jpg
IMG_1519876636.909063.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Updated paint job planned for Aspera-III:

OpenRocket043.png

I have also spent a great deal of time creating an accurate picture of what it will look like when they press the launch button:
OpenRocket046.png

;^p

I have also spent a great deal of time creating an accurate picture of what it will look like when they press the launch button:
View attachment 339897

;^p

I think I have a video somewhere around of an Aspire on an F10 disappearing off into the sky like that. I think that pic is similar to the last time most Aspires are ever seen again.

My gut says place the guide on the CG since CP is "somewhere else" while it's on the rail.

I think I have a video somewhere around of an Aspire on an F10 disappearing off into the sky like that. I think that pic is similar to the last time most Aspires are ever seen again.

i haven't lost a nosecone yet... (airframes, not so much...) EFminis are great! This time i know the NC base *AND* kevlar are strong enough - if the rocket gods want to fail me, it will have to be elsewhere on the bird... (I haven't shredded a fin or had a streamer failure yet, so I'm sure they're the next contenders...)

My gut says place the guide on the CG since CP is "somewhere else" while it's on the rail.

I ended up splitting it in three and putting one on the cg, one at the CP and one back in the drawer for the next rocket...

Filling with CWF before sanding and painting tomorrow (hopefully - weather dependant...)

IMG_8444.jpg

Back