What is that tacky glue?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomSmith58

Reaction score
Folks. I have an application that would benefit greatly from that tacky glue that is used to stick composite fins together in a kit. You know the stuff. It's tacky as hell and you can't wash it off your fins without acetone. It keeps them stuck together when the kit is shipped so they don't get lost or whatever.
Thanks
Tom

From his description ("you can't wash it off your fins without acetone") I doubt it. I've never had composite fins shipped to me, nor have I see anyone else's composite fins come any other way than taped together, so I'm not sure what he could be talking about.

Tom, are you describing the flexible, gummy glue that is used to hold cards/cds/whatnot to magazines? the stuff that you can stretch to remove?

From his description ("you can't wash it off your fins without acetone") I doubt it. I've never had composite fins shipped to me, nor have I see anyone else's composite fins come any other way than taped together, so I'm not sure what he could be talking about.

Tom, are you describing the flexible, gummy glue that is used to hold cards/cds/whatnot to magazines? the stuff that you can stretch to remove?

Roy
This is not that glue. This glue is way stiffer.
Tom

Only thing I've ever seen on fiberglass fins is masking tape adhesive residue.

Never heard of anyone gluing fins together for shipping. Let us know where you purchased from.

Sometimes double sided tape is used to hold G-10 sheet for cutting fins.
When fins are removed from table, some glue residue remains, not being cleaned thoroughly.
They get stuck together when shipped, not usually intentional. The only thing that will remove that residue is acetone. I've had it when getting Performance kits years ago.....could this be what OP is referencing?

Sometimes double sided tape is used to hold G-10 sheet for cutting fins.
When fins are removed from table, some glue residue remains, not being cleaned thoroughly.
They get stuck together when shipped, not usually intentional. The only thing that will remove that residue is acetone. I've had it when getting Performance kits years ago.....could this be what OP is referencing?

This is a fantastic explanation, if it is the case. Makes total sense.

Back