Trying to identify older pink rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjc

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have found an old rocket in my parents garage that I built when I was 10 (22 years ago).
My kids are now interested in it and we are going to attempt to launch it. The issue is that its missing a few parts such as the parachute, launch lug, and shock cord. We would like to reorder these parts but have no idea what make or model the rocket is.

IMG_20170916_1424373[1].jpgIMG_20170916_1424139[1].jpgIMG_20170916_1424005[1].jpgIMG_20170916_1423535[1].jpg

Does anyone recognize this particular rocket?

Last edited:
Looks like a Black Brant II. Bt55, 24.9" tall. Probably came with an 18" chute, but a 12 might suffice on a soft landing surface. You can order parts for rockets from a number of places, but you didn't really need to match the rocket to the part. Besides, the stock shock cord was prolly too short anyway. You can use some 1/8" elastic bought at W-mart and use that for a shock. Go with 24" at a minimum. You can surely make your own chutes if you like. I make all of mine mine. If you prefer to go with store bought parts, try this guy for starters. You can google up online distributors for days searching for "model rocketry parts".

The only special parts that are missing are the launch lugs. I would just substitute a regular Estes lug, though you'll have to scrape the color off the body to reach the tube so that you can glue it on properly. The shock cord and parachute are just the normal 1/8th inch cord that Estes sells (though originally it used 1/8" cloth elastic). Just tie a double knot on one end, and insert the other end through the protuberance shown in the third picture. You see it come through inside the body. Just grab that end and pull until the knot goes into the protuberance and stops. Any old 12" Estes parachute will work just fine. If you aren't familiar with the parts, these are the catalog numbers from Estes: 002320 - Launch Lug Pack, 002264 - 12 in. Printed Parachute, 002278 - Shock Cords & Mount Pack. It'll cost you about $15 in all, but there will be a few launch lugs and shock cords that you can use in other rockets.

I gotta say, I am quite pleased with the response time on this thread. You guys know your stuff. Thanks again.

Parts will not be available from Estes most likely as they no longer have a parts department other than the small amount of parts they list on their website.

And if you don't want to follow Roy's good advice and just put a regular launch lug on it, you could steal the parts from a Dark Zero or the just re-released Air Walker and they should fit.

It also looks like the motor hook is bent in an odd way, so a little refurbishment there....

Back