Altitude w/ no dual deploy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone,

I'm gonna take a bunch of rockets and cases and see what I (and more experienced guys) think about conditions and go from there. My even get lucky and be able to 'test' a chute release.

Dave has pics of my Bad Attitude at a 10,300' apogee that subsequently shook the main out at 8000'+. Recovered not terribly far away.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

How many vestal virgins did you sacrifice to the "Wind" gods for that to happen! Anyone with a "high" main at apogee is derned lucky to get it back at all. Unless the upper air winds allows the rocket to come back your way it's a long trot to
get the thing. Fred Azinger has it right. We shouldn't plan to go outside the waivered zone and should plan accordingly. The only consolation is if a large main comes out at apogee unintended, at least the descent rate is a lot better than coming
in ballistic. Of course if ballistic, greater chance it will core sample within the waivered zone. If it's apparent one has a main at apogee with a very high out of sight flight, judged by a ridiculously slow descent rate by a GPS tracker, it's time to
jump in a vehicle and give chase. At least one has a chance to keep up and if it's coming in over an inhabited area can clear the landing zone. That's a reason to have a reliable live mapping solution for some projects. We're getting there in
that endeavor and it will become easy and more economical to do someday. Kurt

Latest posts

Back