Proton K Zarja

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArkadijZharinov

Reaction score
Good afternoon friends
I'm starting a project to make russian Proton-K Zarya
Help my with photos and some plans and drawing
Arkady

585be8ce818931.51420547.jpg

post-23065-0-18653900-1350723173.jpg

protons.jpg

Welcome to TRF.

While I don't know much about the subject (read: I know nothing), I'll be interested to see how it goes. :pop:

'

Wow! These are amazing. Thank you for sharing. I'm getting ready for a Proton K build myself and would like to know where you got your engine nozzles and your transtage. I found 6x cones on Shapeways for the boosters. BT-20 size

How tall will you make your model? What size motors will you use? It should be an interesting build.

I plan on using T-60 to for the core and 6X T-20 tubes for the boosters. Since the I don't have plans, I'm going to guestimate the width and do some maff. I know the T-60 tubes are 1.6 inches in diameter and I have a picture of a Proton that's 180ish feet tall. I can approximate the diameter of the Proton and then decipher the height of the model through 1.6 in / x = estimated diameter of the proton in inches / 2160 in (180x12). X being the height of the model rocket in inches.

Last edited:
Arkady,
Downloaded this from Wikipedia. Hope it helps. Looks like dhbarr's picture, but with dimensions.

Also, check out the rest of the page:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton-K

Show us some pictures, please, after your build. Also, if you have access to them, there are a number of good books listing scale dimensions of various space launch systems. I'm sure the Proton family is in there.

800px-Early_Proton-K_rocket_versions.jpg

Peter Alway's "Rocket of the World" has dimensions. It looks like the core is about 4.1 m in diameter. Each of the booster pods are 1.6 m in diameter. The maximum diameter across the booster pods is 7.4 m.

Peter Alway's "Rocket of the World" has dimensions. It looks like the core is about 4.1 m in diameter. Each of the booster pods are 1.6 m in diameter. The maximum diameter across the booster pods is 7.4 m.

Doing some quick, rough​ number crunching, looks like you could do a monster scale model using BT-52 tubes for the outboards and a BT-80 for the core. Length would be about 38.7" for the Proton/Salyut launcher.
Or you could do a near-scale with BT-5 and BT-56 tubes, length about 20.3". Maybe some clear plastic TTW fins. Hmmm, don't get me started.

Thank you so much for those dimensions. I've been trying to pick up Alway's Book on ebay used. I will not pay the 100+ bucks some people are asking. I missed out on one three weeks ago that went for about 25 bucks plus shipping.

Tone Deaf: Alway's book is even more expensive at Amazon. Nearly $200. It is a much sought after book, and has been out of print for a number of years. But it is "the bible" for scale model rockets. Using aerostadt's dimensions, here's one more: bt-20 for the outboards, and 1.9" dia. for the core. That would match almost exactly. However the only 1.9" dia. tubing I know of is thick walled for mid and high power rockets (meaning heavy). A close substitute would be the Semroc st-20 tube, at 2" dia. making it semi-scale. I believe the Proton Zarya was 61 m. in length, but I'm not positive. So the length would go a shade over 30". Then you would have to work out what type of fins. what configuration, and test for stability.

Arkady,

Here's another page where you might get some further information:https://www.spacelaunchreport.com/proton.html#config

Thank you so much for those dimensions. I've been trying to pick up Alway's Book on ebay used. I will not pay the 100+ bucks some people are asking. I missed out on one three weeks ago that went for about 25 bucks plus shipping.

"Tone Deaf",

I got your PM . . . Help is on the way !

With the last name Holliday, I may nickname you "Doc" ( probably not the first time for that - LOL ! )

Dave F.

Almost finished. Thanks for the help everyone. Just fins to add and I'm ready to go. 18mm. Did not want to go 24.
Proton M
BT-60 tubes and coupler
BT-5 fuel tanks and paper cones sprayed
Skins were from a paper rocket that I re-sized to fit the tubes, printed on full sheet label paper, affixed to tubes and sprayed with matte finish.
Nozzles turned with a file on a drill press and painted.
Paper nose cone with 3 pennies E6000'ed (glue from WM) in.
Different sized dowels for tubes.

20180224_214641.jpg

20180301_175650.jpg

20180301_175554.jpg

20180301_175603.jpg

20180301_175545.jpg

Back