Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Thread: Proton K Zarja

Proton K Zarja

Good afternoon friends
    I'm starting a project to make russian Proton-K Zarya
    Help my with photos and some plans and drawing
    Arkady

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	585be8ce818931.51420547.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	328077   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post-23065-0-18653900-1350723173.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	328078  

Welcome to TRF.

While I don't know much about the subject (read: I know nothing), I'll be interested to see how it goes.

'
    Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

NAR L1 Cert flight: Sheridan, Oregon, USA. Sept. 19, 2015. Flew Deep Space OFFl on an I357T-14A Blue Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by ArkadijZharinov View Post
    Good afternoon friends
    I'm starting a project to make russian Proton-K Zarya
    Help my with photos and some plans and drawing
    Arkady
    Arkady,

I sent you a Private Message. Contact me and I will send you an EXCELLENT drawing of the PROTON K.

Dave F.

Wow! These are amazing. Thank you for sharing. I'm getting ready for a Proton K build myself and would like to know where you got your engine nozzles and your transtage. I found 6x cones on Shapeways for the boosters. BT-20 size
    ToneDeafJunior
    AKA CL Holliday Jr.
    "You learn so much about music from all the people you surround yourself with."-- Bill Bruford

Quote Originally Posted by dhbarr View Post
    dhbarr, that is truly awe inspiring. What other Soviet rockets have you done: N-1? UR-700? What's the scale? Hard to tell from the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by kuririn View Post
    dhbarr, that is truly awe inspiring. What other Soviet rockets have you done: N-1? UR-700? What's the scale? Hard to tell from the picture.
    Apologies, not mine. That's hosted at http://www.raumfahrt-museum.de
    Last edited by dhbarr; 8th February 2018 at 02:45 PM.

How tall will you make your model? What size motors will you use? It should be an interesting build.
    Zeus-cat
    NAR# 92125 L1
    Total Impulse for 2017: 1,493.8 N/s Flights: 56
    2017: 1/2A:0, A:6, B:11, C:2, D:12, E:4, F:1, G: I have NEVER launched a G motor, H:1, I:1

I plan on using T-60 to for the core and 6X T-20 tubes for the boosters. Since the I don't have plans, I'm going to guestimate the width and do some maff. I know the T-60 tubes are 1.6 inches in diameter and I have a picture of a Proton that's 180ish feet tall. I can approximate the diameter of the Proton and then decipher the height of the model through 1.6 in / x = estimated diameter of the proton in inches / 2160 in (180x12). X being the height of the model rocket in inches.
    Last edited by ToneDeafJunior; 8th February 2018 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Wrong maff
    ToneDeafJunior
    AKA CL Holliday Jr.
    "You learn so much about music from all the people you surround yourself with."-- Bill Bruford

Arkady,
    Downloaded this from Wikipedia. Hope it helps. Looks like dhbarr's picture, but with dimensions.

Also, check out the rest of the page:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton-K

Show us some pictures, please, after your build. Also, if you have access to them, there are a number of good books listing scale dimensions of various space launch systems. I'm sure the Proton family is in there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	800px-Early_Proton-K_rocket_versions.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	338044  

Peter Alway's "Rocket of the World" has dimensions. It looks like the core is about 4.1 m in diameter. Each of the booster pods are 1.6 m in diameter. The maximum diameter across the booster pods is 7.4 m.

Quote Originally Posted by aerostadt View Post
    Peter Alway's "Rocket of the World" has dimensions. It looks like the core is about 4.1 m in diameter. Each of the booster pods are 1.6 m in diameter. The maximum diameter across the booster pods is 7.4 m.
    Doing some quick, rough​ number crunching, looks like you could do a monster scale model using BT-52 tubes for the outboards and a BT-80 for the core. Length would be about 38.7" for the Proton/Salyut launcher.
    Or you could do a near-scale with BT-5 and BT-56 tubes, length about 20.3". Maybe some clear plastic TTW fins. Hmmm, don't get me started.

Thank you so much for those dimensions. I've been trying to pick up Alway's Book on ebay used. I will not pay the 100+ bucks some people are asking. I missed out on one three weeks ago that went for about 25 bucks plus shipping.
    ToneDeafJunior
    AKA CL Holliday Jr.

Tone Deaf: Alway's book is even more expensive at Amazon. Nearly $200. It is a much sought after book, and has been out of print for a number of years. But it is "the bible" for scale model rockets. Using aerostadt's dimensions, here's one more: bt-20 for the outboards, and 1.9" dia. for the core. That would match almost exactly. However the only 1.9" dia. tubing I know of is thick walled for mid and high power rockets (meaning heavy). A close substitute would be the Semroc st-20 tube, at 2" dia. making it semi-scale. I believe the Proton Zarya was 61 m. in length, but I'm not positive. So the length would go a shade over 30". Then you would have to work out what type of fins. what configuration, and test for stability.

Arkady,

Here's another page where you might get some further information:http://www.spacelaunchreport.com/proton.html#config

Quote Originally Posted by kuririn View Post
    Tone Deaf: Alway's book is even more expensive at Amazon. Nearly $200. It is a much sought after book, and has been out of print for a number of years.
    It's still listed on the NARTS web store for $30: https://blastzone.org/nar/narts/stor...=1080035015601

Peter Alway

Thanks for that! (bowing down in humble reverence).

Or is it reference?

Quote Originally Posted by ToneDeafJunior View Post
    Thank you so much for those dimensions. I've been trying to pick up Alway's Book on ebay used. I will not pay the 100+ bucks some people are asking. I missed out on one three weeks ago that went for about 25 bucks plus shipping.
    "Tone Deaf",

I got your PM . . . Help is on the way !

With the last name Holliday, I may nickname you "Doc" ( probably not the first time for that - LOL ! )

Dave F.