Make Tube Fly With Fire!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the fin slots cut. I vacillated between 5 and 3 fins, but in the end went with 4. I recently made a 3 fin , a 5 fin, and two 6 fin rockets, so wanted to do something different. I had to make the fin tabs a little longer.

I love how 4 fins is "different" for you... :lol:

Got the baffle plate epoxied into the aft body tube. After it cures, I'll drill the errant epoxy out of the holes.

095.JPG

096.JPG

097.JPG

098.JPG

099.JPG

100.JPG

101.JPG

It's not that big. I think it just looks big because it's in 2.2" tubing.

eyebolt03b.jpg

I've used bigger. This is in 3" tubing.

015.JPG

In 2.6" tubing.

121.JPG

And in 4" rockets, I usually use u-bolts.

078.JPG

Got the centering rings attached to the aft body tube, and tried a dry fit. I like it!

102.JPG

103.JPG

104.JPG

105.JPG

106.JPG

107.JPG

Thank you Kit. Like I said, I've wanted to build one like this for a while now.

I got the lower section epoxied into the upper body tube. The tape was to keep it from "creeping" while the epoxy set. I also got the aft centering ring installed.

108.JPG

109.JPG

110.JPG

111.JPG

110b.JPG

Turned out great Jim,really like the beefed up fins.Your baffle is what you got me doing on all of mine.I wonder if you do a zipperless design with something like this?

Even though I had planned to put the rail buttons on the larger body tube, I went ahead and put blocks on the centering rings in the aft body tube.
I drilled into them so I can see where they are after I paint it. This way I can always put rail buttons on the aft body tube should it ever be necessary.

114.JPG

115.JPG

119.JPG

120.JPG

Finally getting back to this build. I sealed, sanded, and primered the fins.

123.JPG

124.JPG

125.JPG

And sprayed on the satin orange. You know, finishing and painting have never been my forte. But this one is more rough than usual. Still, you won't see it when it's on the pad. My original intent was to paint the fins black. I'll wait until I paint the forward body tube black, then decide.

126.JPG

131.JPG

127.JPG

128.JPG

129.JPG

130.JPG

Got it masked and the black sprayed on. This Rustoleum 2X satin black sure covers nice. The tape came off relatively cleanly. It's not perfect,
but I'm very happy with how it turned out.

133.jpg

134.jpg

135.jpg

136.JPG

138.JPG

139.JPG

140.JPG

141.JPG

What is it with me and bugs? Fortunately, the paint was dry.

140b.JPG

And painted the nose cone. There are a couple of runs, but nothing I'm worried about. It's looking good!

142.JPG

143.JPG

144.JPG

145.JPG

146b.JPG

147.jpg

148.jpg

Got it masked and the black sprayed on. This Rustoleum 2X satin black sure covers nice. The tape came off relatively cleanly. It's not perfect, but I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Where did you locate that handle attachment? Last ones I saw were for a different type of spray spray nozzle. They wouldn't fit on the 2X cans.

Back