A neil_w inspired design...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neil called it Splinter earlier. Did he subconsciously notice an issue with grain direction?

Usually I'm kind of okay at naming stuff, let's see:

Twotrino
Plasma Approximation
Y-Ray Synthesis
Bremsstrahlung
Hypernova
Exahertz
Asymptote Matic

Finally getting back to this thread. Thanks for reminding me Nytrunner!

I attached the big fins onto the booster. The whole thing is a tiny bit out of whack in terms of alignment but not too horrible.

The mistake is now integrated into the rocket. I'll give you guys a few more chances to guess... I will tell you that it's a pretty minor mistake that won't affect the performance too much.
17 bigfins1.jpg18 bigfins2.jpg

I'm thinking of going a different direction on the paint scheme. I like the lime green of the previous iteration but I'm not a fan of fluorescent paint- I find it to be very runny, uneven, and generally a pain. So I'm thinking of going with a more stealth-oriented scheme- "panels" of alternating gloss and flat black with silver highlights. Sound interesting?

I'll do a test piece on some scrap balsa so I can see how much contrast I get between flat and gloss. However, to do that, I need flat black paint- and I'm snowed in. :mad:

I like Unit Vector as a name- I'll probably go with some variation of that. Thanks all!

Last edited:
Hey, any updates on this thing?

Not as of right now. It's basically waiting in its box for me to stop procrastinating and paint the darn thing... I haven't had a lot of rocket-building time lately, and most of what I had was taken up by prepping for NSL. Now that I'm back from NSL, I'll hopefully be able to work on this a bit more.

I have a few other projects going as well, like this insanity, but I'm waiting to be able to laser cut about a billion CRs for that, so this will probably get more attention in the near future.

Back