Pondering my next build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snrkl

Reaction score
So now my LPR two stage has flown successfully - it's time to start thinking about my next build.

I have some options on my build pile:

1) apogee aspire: if I'm going to do it, I'm doing it supersonic which means a tracker and an altimeter; it isn't supersonic if you don't have the data, you don't have the data if you don't recover it. This means I'm now thinking about an eggfinder mini setup and modifying the nose cone to accomodate it.. simmed on a g77r or a g76 it makes Mach1 around 180m off the ground and flies to around 1600m (5200ft) which is a little over my club's ceiling.

2) SCR quake - an MPR from AusRockety - I have a choice of 24 or 29mm and I'm planning a portal themed paint job. I have the 24mm rms kit that is yet unused but everyone is telling me to build it with a 29mm motor. Decisions decisions.

3) more LPR - I have a dual18mm clustered rear eject kit from US rockets - the kit looks like fun.

4) even more LPR: I have a 24mm strap on booster kit from Apogee - maybe I design a two stage with extra strap on boosters - after all, two motors is better than one, and four is better than two.

Decisions, decisions...

Do something 29mm.

Larger scale, flashier motors, electronics enter in quick if you build it small, .......It'll be fun!

I've found that my interest doesn't lag when I change up the scale of the build between rockets.

Are these your only 4 choices? or are you open to other suggestions?!

You're gonna suggest a BBZ clone/upscale, aren't you...

(Background: Paul & I fly at the same club, and I rarely see him without a BlueBird Zero. He has them in every diameter from BT-5 to BT-80 (I think?) )

You're gonna suggest a BBZ clone/upscale, aren't you...

(Background: Paul & I fly at the same club, and I rarely see him without a BlueBird Zero. He has them in every diameter from BT-5 to BT-80 (I think?) )

haha!! Ben you know me pretty well!! (The BT-80 is planned!) And for that, maybe I'll bring them all this Saturday! :D :D

While I was thinking it, I was gonna suggest an AMRAAM AIM-120, 'cuse every good rocketeer has to have [at least] one in their fleet!

haha!! Ben you know me pretty well!! (The BT-80 is planned!) And for that, maybe I'll bring them all this Saturday! :D :D

While I was thinking it, I was gonna suggest an AMRAAM AIM-120, 'cuse every good rocketeer has to have [at least] one in their fleet!

Can it wait until next month? I'll be away this Saturday...

My 3" AMRAAM will likely fly sometime this winter.

Snrkl: The AMRAAM is a fun scale model as well. Plenty of fin area, but nontraditional. Nice simple fins, though you might need a smidgen of nose weight because of the canards. With an bit of extra BT60 and some balsa, it would be easy to convert an Estes Patriot. Otherwise, the 3:1 nosecone is a bit of a challenge, but they exist...

My paint scheme is wrong, but it gives you an idea of the basic shape.
editor-render.jpg

The other challenge with an AMRAAM, is the rear fin shape & profile. That blunt leading edge will cause fins to split, requiring you to use fancy ply wood, or getting into papering / glassing them.

it can be a fun scale challenge, as the colour bands mean different things..

And also to choose the right motor..
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?140819-CATO!&highlight=cato

Back