Thoughts on "The Orville"?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just want to know who will be first to model the ship ........:eyeroll:

Watched another last night , its not really funny ..its more amusing .

Will see where it goes

Kenny

Will see where it goes

Kenny
I DVRed it. Sunday Night Football game over-timed way into its time slot as I suspected it eventually would. This may be one of the reasons this series won't survive as I'll bet a large percentage of those watching it aren't into the viewing of professional sports of any kind. Skipping commercials is often not allowed these days in archived replays of TV shows whereas they obviously are in DVR recordings.

Will see where it goes

Kenny
Yeah after watching my first episode I would have to agree. I also concur with someone's previous statement about the social messages. I will continue to watch with an open mind, but the more last night's episode went on, the more I found myself rolling my eyes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

I DVRed it. Sunday Night Football game over-timed way into its time slot as I suspected it eventually would. This may be one of the reasons this series won't survive as I'll bet a large percentage of those watching it aren't into the viewing of professional sports of any kind. Skipping commercials is often not allowed these days in archived replays of TV shows whereas they obviously are in DVR recordings.

See post 27.

I DVRed it. Sunday Night Football game over-timed way into its time slot as I suspected it eventually would. This may be one of the reasons this series won't survive as I'll bet a large percentage of those watching it aren't into the viewing of professional sports of any kind.

I added time too, and wow did that game run super-late (as though it started an hour late or had an hour delay?I was watching NASCAR on the DVR, not so much into NFL football regular season). However, as far as showing it after football, Fox has some level of "lead-in" from a football game to watch other comedy shows (Simpsons, Family Guy) later, so its not that big a stretch to say to put The Orville in there as compared to say "Gotham".

Bigger viewer conflict last night was the Emmy Awards than football as a lead-in.

Anyway, they introduced it for two Sundays, but the regular time slot is Thursdays, next is this Thursday, the 21st. Man, if it competed with "Young Sheldon", that would be a plus (Don't know when Y.S. will be on, don't care).

So glad that in that episode....... (spoiler alert), that it was a trick. A little went a LONG way with the parents thing, was not looking forward to seeing them any more in that episode, and fortunately didn't. But I'm sure they'll be back eventually.

Wish I could find a screenshot of Macfarlane's desk. Has a toy model of the Wright Flyer on it, since, well, this is the "Orville". I wonder if they'll have a "sister" ship later named the Wilbur? In any case, a nice continuation on the early aircraft pioneers theme that the other ship they..... thought.... they encountered, was named the Bleriot. I'll speculate maybe later some other names like the Lillienthal, Curtiss, Lindbergh, and Earhart. Of course most likely to have early space pioneers too, so probably Goddard, vonBraun, Tsiolkovsky, Truax, as well as Gagarin, Shepard, Grissom (Star Trek-II had one), Leonov (2010),etc.

Last edited:
I'll check it out again Thursday but I really suffered through the first two episodes.

It is on Hulu (I have Hulu +).
Many good things on Hulu. The Triumph specials were great.

Mehh here too. McFarlaine is funny with his regular stuff, but when he tries to act himself in live action (not cartoon) he falls flat on his face. "A Million Ways to Die in The West" was an example. He has to explain his jokes too much. The cut aways in family guy are funny, and as such, the funniest parts for me on the first two episodes were to the cut to the bridge when they were arguing in his office (you could hear them) and the end of episode 2 regarding the "Trade" they made with the aliens. And those weren't that funny.

Plenty of innuendo too...

Wasn't that science center building also the one they used in Bio Dome? It's in LA someplace... Water treatment plant or something like that?

I added time too, and wow did that game run super-late (as though it started an hour late or had an hour delay?I was watching NASCAR on the DVR, not so much into NFL football regular season). However, as far as showing it after football, Fox has some level of "lead-in" from a football game to watch other comedy shows (Simpsons, Family Guy) later, so its not that big a stretch to say to put The Orville in there as compared to say "Gotham".
Perhaps sports is their top viewership programming and they put premieres of new shows after it. I never saw the premieres of the Simpsons or Family Guy. As a matter of fact, I think Gotham is the only Fox premiere I've ever seen prior to The Orville.

Wish I could find a screenshot of Macfarlane's desk. Has a toy model of the Wright Flyer on it, since, well, this is the "Orville".

desk.jpg

"I have laid an egg"

egg.jpg

I liked Orville, more like a 21st century version of Quark without the garbage truck theme, and I agree, Fox will give it a short life span like they did with FireFly, which BTW I felt like Sheldon for many years about Fox and them nixing such a strange but wonderful piece of science fiction.
Star Trek Discovery is just milking a franchise with a bunch of social theme that have been done over an over again, so I'm not going to pay to watch it.

Star Trek Discovery is just milking a franchise with a bunch of social theme that have been done over an over again, so I'm not going to pay to watch it.

I'll probably find ways to watch it anyway..... for free. ;)

Otherwise, no way would I pay $10 a month to watch maybe 3 months of what is sounding like a train wreck behind the scenes. The Orville's 2nd in command looks more like a Klingon than THEIR Klingons!

I think the only Sci-Fi TV show I have ever seen, that I'd pay $10 a month for ($2.50 a show) would have been Babylon-5 once I got hooked (and to me, that is the best space-based Sci-Fi show, ever. Because it was outlined for a 5 year arc before they begin season 1, and some incredible stuff happened involving major changes to various characters and other plot points, with critical seeds planted early in season 1 and 2 that came fruition later). I also would have been willing to pay for episodes of Doctor Who, until Capaldi took over, and the plots were not as good. Will see how the new Doctor does, and if the new staff can breathe new life into the show, as it was running on fumes the last 2 seasons (the music wasn't very good either, since the 11th).

Last edited:
It's better than
  • Reality TV
  • Anything involving "housewives"
  • Most anything that showcases "flipping
  • Any sporting event that has spoiled multimillionaires making political statements about how oppressed they are
  • Anything involving a Kardassian

So I will at least let it drone on as filler.

It's better than
  • Reality TV
  • Anything involving "housewives"
  • Most anything that showcases "flipping
  • Any sporting event that has spoiled multimillionaires making political statements about how oppressed they are
  • Anything involving a Kardassian

So I will at least let it drone on as filler.

With the possible exception of watching borderline "home improvement" shows and occasionally some of those semi-stupid home "search" shows, I don't watch any of that crap. More than 90 percent of out television watching can be summed up by listing NCIS (and its derivatives) and Big Bang Theory.

With the possible exception of watching borderline "home improvement" shows and occasionally some of those semi-stupid home "search" shows, I don't watch any of that crap. More than 90 percent of out television watching can be summed up by listing NCIS (and its derivatives) and Big Bang Theory.
PBS Nova, PBS Frontline, The Science Channel, The Discovery Channel, plenty of excellent, educational stuff worth watching, just not on the big three networks or on the vast majority of cable channels.

The only TV shows I've ever bought DVDs for, were box sets to Babylon 5 and Firefly.

PBS Nova, PBS Frontline, The Science Channel, The Discovery Channel, plenty of excellent, educational stuff worth watching, just not on the big three networks or on the vast majority of cable channels.

That's the thing. I, for the most part, watch TV to be entertained. Occasionally I will tune in something documentary in nature, However I find an awful lot of the "educational" stuff rather poorly done. Same thing for the movies. Tell me it featured at either Sundance or Cannes and I lose interest. I don't see "films" I go to the movies. I want to go in, buy the drum of popcorn, the soda that comes with a life ring, and put my brain in neutral. Ergo The Orville is not that offensive. It's just TV.

The only TV shows I've ever bought DVDs for, were box sets to Babylon 5 and Firefly.

I've recently been binge watching my Eureka set. I would add Andromeda & Sports Night. Possibly the West Wing.

Of course, to each...

So, I guess I'll have to find a friend who has Babylon 5 DVD's and check it out. Never saw an episode yet...

Adrian, Babylon 5 is fantastic. The first season can be a little slow at points, but so much foundation is built for the rest of the series.

To quote Citizen G'kar

"The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice. The language is not Narn, or Human, or Centauri, or Gaim or Minbari. It speaks in the language of hope; It speaks in the language of trust; It speaks in the language of strength, and the language of compassion. It is the language of the heart and the language of the soul. But always, it is the same voice. It is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, And the voice of our inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: We are one. No matter the blood; No matter the skin; No matter the world; No matter the star; We are one. No matter the pain; No matter the darkness; No matter the loss; No matter the fear; We are one. Here, gathered together in common cause. we agree to recognise this singular truth, and this singular rule: That we must be kind to one another, because each voice enriches us and ennobles us, and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better future. We are one."

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

So, I guess I'll have to find a friend who has Babylon 5 DVD's and check it out. Never saw an episode yet...

Come on by. The box set I've got also has the movies. Somewhere around here, I think I've also got the spin-off "Crusade".

Gads, I forgot how deep B5 was a fair portion of the time.

Then again...

Ambassador Londo Mollari: But this - this, this, this is like being nibbled to death by... what are those Earth creatures called? Feathers, long bill, webbed feet... go 'quack'...

Ambassador Vir Cotto: Cats.

Ambassador Londo Mollari: Cats. Being nibbled to death by cats.

I wish Crusades had continued.

And I will think I just hit on a Fantasy-Scale Rocket idea....... The Excaliber!

Then again...

Ambassador Londo Mollari: But this - this, this, this is like being nibbled to death by... what are those Earth creatures called? Feathers, long bill, webbed feet... go 'quack'...

Ambassador Vir Cotto: Cats.

Ambassador Londo Mollari: Cats. Being nibbled to death by cats.

Inspired I tell you.

Back