Canon VIXIA HF R72 Camcorder

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardline

Ecstatic and Joyous
Reaction score
After my Fuji camera (lousey stills/good video) wandered off at Airfest I decided to purchase a camcorder and chose the Canon VIXIA HF R72 Camcorder (hey, it's my birthday today and I told Wayne he got it for me as my birthday present :wink:)

I chose it since Wayne has a Canon Digital Rebel XSI (terrific stills, no video) and I have a Canon PowerShot G16 (TOTALLY sucks at video, pretty good at stills) and the R72 has a 57x Optical Zoom. Similar softwares and I do like Canon products.

I also chose it over a manual focus camcorder since usually I'm holding a tracker receiver or an eggfinder receiver in one hand (sometimes both) and a camera in the other hand and I don't have a third hand to maintain focus. The canon also has image stabilization which helps when you are juggling multiple items during a rocket launch.

Anybody here use one of these and can give me feedback? Alternative viewpoints welcome also.

Happy Birthday

Canon wise I picked up a T7I for my wife a couple weeks ago ,purchase was based great reviews on Canon we figure killed 2 birds with 1 stone needed Stills and a Video camera.

Can you guys see these screens in the sunlight? Me thinks something with a good viewfinder would be better to follow a rocket launch. Yes I suppose something with a viewfinder is more costly than something with a screen but you don't have to worry about
not being able to see what you are shooting. Kurt

Can you guys see these screens in the sunlight? Me thinks something with a good viewfinder would be better to follow a rocket launch. Yes I suppose something with a viewfinder is more costly than something with a screen but you don't have to worry about
not being able to see what you are shooting. Kurt

I hear what you are sayin' Kurt about the screen but I generally aim in the direction of the rocket launch and it seems to work out ok. I don't try to follow the rocket very far up, just really interested in the first few seconds of launch. The only problem I had with a screen in the sunlight was the now gone Fuji and my polarized sunglasses - the screen always looked blank until I lowered my sunglasses and stared at the screen with my naked eyeballs. Haven't had that issue with previous cannon point/clicker video screens. If the Canon PowerShot G16 video would just stay in focus I would have just used it but the video always cycled in and out of focus. Simply not usable as video. Curious how Michiganders Canon T71 will work in video mode.

After my Fuji camera (lousey stills/good video) wandered off at Airfest

Bummer to think someone would steal it. There is a nifty website out there somewhere that looks at the metadata on the images posted on the web. You get the metadata off one of your old pics or videos and then let the website crawl through the data out there in the web till it finds images with matching data. Can be used to figure out where it has gone if you are keen to know.

Happy Birthday BTW :)

Back