Estes Tiger Shark Clone-- Unsuccessful Booster Glide

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
TigerSharkDeploy.JPGTigerSharkPad2.JPGTigerSharkPad1.JPG

Trying to combine techniques, this is supposed to be like the Black Widow, with a gliding booster recovery. Had a heck of a time trimming it in ground testing, and clearly here didn't work in flight. Anybody get a Tiger Shark or Black Widow booster to glide well?

[video=youtube;Bdxlk-I4Iiw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdxlk-I4Iiw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

The rudder fin is huge, I know the plans say to make it that way but with an over-sized rudder id wager it will be temperamental in any wind.

Did you get a good hand toss test glide with a spent engine casing in the booster? You might need to add some weight to get the balance point right for a good glide, just remember to load a spent engine case when balancing for the hand toss glide tests.

Did you get a good hand toss test glide with a spent engine casing in the booster? You might need to add some weight to get the balance point right for a good glide, just remember to load a spent engine case when balancing for the hand toss glide tests.

I tried. Seemed to have a semi decent glide in tests, but the length of the glider section is so short it is really touchy. I kind of wonder if all spent engine casings (even of same engine maker and motor strength) have the same CG.

yes, there is a very small margin of balance between a nice nose-down glide and a nose-in ballistic trajectory with a short booster. You want a slightly nose down glide, but not too much. From shoulder height like 5' it should glide about 3x as far, like 15'. Slightly better glide ratio than a flying squirrel, but not as high as the Space Shuttle at landing. Not so much of a glide, but rather falling with style.

Back