Old CTI Motor CATO. What to do?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketgeek101

Reaction score
This past weekend I attempted to launch my 3" Wildman Punisher on a CTI J330 Classic reload from 2005-2006 that I acquired from a fellow club member (I have flown some of his motors from that date range before without issue). As the thread title says, the motor suffered a CATO which destroyed the motor casing and 2 spacers, the AeroPack retainer cap (and part of my AeroPack 54mm-38mm adapter), a radio tracker I had borrowed, and also caused some minor damage to the av-bay. Luckily though, the airframe survived pretty much undamaged except for a few scuffs to the paint so it will live to fly another day with only minor repair work needed.

What would be the next step? Ideally I'd like to get the casing and spacers (and reload) replaced but whom should I contact given that I did not buy this motor from a dealer? CTI? Do you think it's possible that they might cover the damage to the rocket as a result of the CATO as well?

Thanks in advance.

This past weekend I attempted to launch my 3" Wildman Punisher on a CTI J330 Classic reload from 2005-2006 that I acquired from a fellow club member (I have flown some of his motors from that date range before without issue). As the thread title says, the motor suffered a CATO which destroyed the motor casing and 2 spacers, the AeroPack retainer cap (and part of my AeroPack 54mm-38mm adapter), a radio tracker I had borrowed, and also caused some minor damage to the av-bay. Luckily though, the airframe survived pretty much undamaged except for a few scuffs to the paint so it will live to fly another day with only minor repair work needed.

What would be the next step? Ideally I'd like to get the casing and spacers (and reload) replaced but whom should I contact given that I did not buy this motor from a dealer? CTI? Do you think it's possible that they might cover the damage to the rocket as a result of the CATO as well?

Thanks in advance.

You might get a dealer to help you out. But with a motor that old I don't think they will. I have never heard of a motor manufacture ever covering any part of the rocket damage. You are talking about a 10-11 year old motor. Good luck. File a MESS report on the CATO

Last edited:
I think you suck it up, man up and replace the borrowed stuff, buy what you need and move on. Thinking someone or CTI owes you anything is foolish. It's rocketry.

Yep- contact your favorite CTI dealer. Did you save the box/tube it came in? If so, there is a date code on it, which you will be asked for.

Then, go to www.motorcato.org and fill out a mess report.

You might get a dealer to help you out. But with a motor that old I don't think they will. I have never heard of a motor manufacture ever covering any part of the rocket damage. You are talking about a 10-11 year old motor. Good luck. File a MESS report on the CATO

I fear you may be right due to the age of the motor. I'm sure I've heard of some instances were the manufacture replaced what was damaged, but I doubt it's common practice.

I think you suck it up, man up and replace the borrowed stuff, buy what you need and move on. Thinking someone or CTI owes you anything is foolish. It's rocketry.

I was just enquiring as to what others experiences with this have been, and am fully aware of the risks that come with every launch. I have already replaced everything that was borrowed.

Yep- contact your favorite CTI dealer. Did you save the box/tube it came in? If so, there is a date code on it, which you will be asked for.

Then, go to www.motorcato.org and fill out a mess report.

I did save the tube and I will file a MESS report.

No motor vendor would replace a rocket. That said, it would not surprise me if CTI warranties the hardware and motor from my own experience.

- Never saw a vendor or motor manufacturer reimburse rocket damage, retainer, etc.; that's rocketry.
- If you got the reload recently AND it was one that had a history for failure, some vendors have a way to get you a new reload.
- Depends on the volume of the dealer does if he has the relationship with the motor manufacturer to get you replacement hardware.
-If the reload is an age deemed by the manufacturer as "too old",( i.e 5 years old or whatever is a policy for them, etc,)
Then it's flyer beware, you're rolling the dice.

I have flown reloads "old as dirt" and they worked fine. I flew new reloads that CATO'ed. Again, welcome to rocketry.
Some propellant formulas degrade over time vs. others, depends on the brand and type of propellant.
OBTW, your not the 1st one to cato a 6g CTI motor.

Once upon a time (sometime during the '90's) I remember Aerotech offered to replace motor (single use) and kit if both were theirs if the motor Catoed. Not sure how long this continued once reloads made the scene. Understandable as there is much room for error on the operator's part. I know of a few people who told me they did receive new motors and kits. Motors only were replaced if they were not in Aerotech kits. Sometimes nothing was replaced depending on circumstances. Same as today.

I had an Estes Branded G80 split the case, and torch an Estes PSII Nike Smoke. In that case, Estes replaced both, but other than Estes on Estes violence, or maybe AT on AT violence I can't imagine it would ever be covered.

Back