AT Mirage repair

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bdpeters

Reaction score
so after digging out old rockets hopefully to fly again I have an aerotech Mirage that sustained some flight damage. the forward centering ring that sits right behind the labrinth ejection baffle got broken. the other two that the fins are sandwiched between are still intact. I was wondering if anyone has been able fix damage like this without too much cutting into the BT? I was thinking that it might be ok to fly without this centering ring. another option would be to rebuild the booster section. any advice would be welcome

mirage.jpg

Get another centering ring.
Put parachute/shockcord through center hole in centering ring.
Slide new centering ring down shockcord on to original centering ring/baffle and test fit.
Apply cement, reseat new centering ring and let dry.

How well glued in are your fins?
fins were glued with 30 min epoxy.
after posting this i realized that I already had a pretty good answer to my own question. the problem was getting a new centering ring down over the baffle but thanks to Initiatior001 I see that I can just seat the centering ring on the baffle and reglue. thanks all. while I am at it I think I will replace the shock cord.

I have found that a piece of 1.5" pvc pipe works nicely for sliding centering rings down body tubes (and keeping them straight while doing so). I would imagine that other tubes would also work, but pipe was handy for me.
Rex

Many kits are built with two centering rings. It sounds like you secured the two rings that sandwich the fins in a robust way. Have you considered not replacing the third ring?

Many kits are built with two centering rings. It sounds like you secured the two rings that sandwich the fins in a robust way. Have you considered not replacing the third ring?

I have considered it and may still go that route. I may have a ring that fits if i can find it this weekend. my main worry is that the MM tube is pretty long and I am a bit concerned about the extra volume and recovery gear getting tangled on the exposed edge of the ejection baffle.

Back