Q2G2 replacement ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isobig

Reaction score
Hey all,

Years ago I ordered a bunch of Estes Q2G2 igniters to be used for dual deployment. I see they are no longer available. What is being used as a low current replacement now ?

Thanks!

MJG Firewire E-matches are the next best thing to Quest Q2G2's

https://electricmatch.com/rocketry/see/6/6/mjg-firewire-initiator

+1 on that. They had some early QC problems with them, but as far as I know all the ones that are shipping now are fine.

Q2G2's were reformulated recently (well, the last batch that you were able to get...), and they take more current and are not as energetic as they were. I have removed the recommendation for using them as deployment triggers from all current Eggtimer Rocketry altimeter documentation.

So I'm planning on launching a cluster rocket sometime soon. Should I use the MJG Firewires or MJG BP igniters? Or something else?

So I'm planning on launching a cluster rocket sometime soon. Should I use the MJG Firewires or MJG BP igniters? Or something else?

If I remember correctly the firewires are mainly ematches for ejection charges? Not certain one can fire a BP motor with them?

I'd just use a 12V system and use regular igniters for a BP cluster. If you don't like the current stock of igniters, buy a commercial dip kit online or read up on how to make your own. Google is your friend. Kurt

If I remember correctly the firewires are mainly ematches for ejection charges? Not certain one can fire a BP motor with them?

I'd just use a 12V system and use regular igniters for a BP cluster. If you don't like the current stock of igniters, buy a commercial dip kit online or read up on how to make your own. Google is your friend. Kurt
+1, I use the Firefox non-conductive e-match dip on my newer Estes LPR starters ( ones with white/clear tips) and have yet to have a fired igniter fail to start a motor.

Edit: regular e-matchs can be used to start BP motors, just get the e-match head as close to the propellant as the nozzle will allow then tape it in place, a small amount of 4Fg BP can be poured in the nozzle first but really isn't necessary.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Last edited:
+1 on the FireWires. Their all-fire current is ~2x that of the Q2G2, but the only time they've ever failed to start a good BP motor was when I wired them improperly and I've fired my fair share of clusters and stages using them. My latest scale rocket, a Gemini-Titan II used 2x D12s in the first stage and a C11 in the second stage, all fired by FireWires. The launch starts at 11:38.

[video=youtube;7ejrl52LFws]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ejrl52LFws&t=11m38s[/video]

Resurrecting this thread to see if any other low current alternatives to the Q2G2 ignitors have become available since my original post. Please let us know.

I recently used e-matches that I bought from Blackjack here on TRF. I did have to tamp the igniters in-place with tissue paper. I had a six motor D12-3 cluster on my N-1 rocket and all motors fired successfully. The leads were so long that it seemed easier to me to wire the igniters in parallel than series.

I ordered some of those matches from https://electricmatch.com/rocketry/s...wire-initiator . Looking forward to receiving the package and flying them this season. Of course now that I ordered them I will find the package of Q2G2's that I should have around here somewhere. Been looking for them but no luck hence the new order.

Back