In the market for 38mm motor hardware.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A-N-D-R-E-W

Reaction score
Hello all, looking to pull some wisdom on purchasing some 38mm hardware.

I've narrowed my search down to either Cessaroni or Loki. I'll explain why I've narrowed it down to these two.

Cessaroni (CTI Pro 38)
-The main reason CTI appeals to me is the option to put in spacers. I could get a 3grain and 6 grain and fly almost every motor.
-I'm a big fan of long burn motors and they have a J150 mellow featuring a 6.4 second burn time.

Loki
-No option for spacers, would have to buy more hardware which is generally more expensive.
-Offers a moon I110 moon burner with 4 second burn time. Requires additional hardware with a different nozzle.
-No hazmat shipping for online purchases, a big plus in my opinion.

Any other considerations I should take into account? Any sales I'm missing out on? Thanks in advance for the help

I'm an Aerotech fan. Mostly since I bought all the hardware I wanted for 29 & 38mm HPR before CTI was really available. The significantly lower cost for 29mm and 38mm reloads was a strong point with me although they seem to become pretty much the same now, if you can find the CTI loads. Some folks talk about AT being difficult to assemble, but I've been doing it for so long I don't consider that an issue at all. AT does have spacer sets available for 38mm hardware that will let you do the same thing as CTI, run all of their 1 to 6 grain loads in a 3 grain and 6 grain case. Personally, I don't like the design of the AT spacer system because of how you have to build the delays and add the powder before you complete assembly of the motor. With that said, I don't own any of the spacers. I've just mentored some of the newer fliers that do have them so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

As for Loki, I agree with you on your points about buying more hardware and nozzles for each size. Then again the I110 moon burner is really sweet. I used that for my L1 cert flight on a scratch built DD rocket. Over 4000 ft. for the cert. Very cool motor! If you ever want to start into EX, Loki is a very good way to go! Can't beat the snap ring cases for EX.

As I'm sure other will mention. You really need to consider what your local vendors have available. If you buy Loki cases and the vendors only carry CTI & AT, you're going to be at a disadvantage when the flying day turns out to be perfect and you want a bigger motor then what you have in your box.

Last edited:
The Loki I110 moon burner requires hazmat shipping as does the I430 Loki blue.

I fly Cesaroni in 38 and 29 because of the cert social when I did L1, and the convenience factor. That being said, the downside is hazmat on all the loads. Fortunately we're blessed with a club vendor that stocks all three brands.

For AT/Loki xp, someone else will have to take that.

My advice? Pick one that will make your rocket go up :cool:

Wait stop the presses!!! Andrew is now on TRF!

Cool weekend man, lots of good flights.

I think most of us have both AT and CTI hardware; I have a lot of both in 29 and 38mm. Over time I suspect you will, too. The CTI motors are a lot easier to use but cost more. The AT motors are a little more complicated to assemble and harder to keep clean but cheaper to burn and you can even get some H and I motors shipped non-hazmat. The hardware cost is a lot higher though.

I usually figure out what I want to fly and assemble motors during the week before the launch so the added complication of AT motors doesn't factor in so much. CTI motors have been just a little hard to come by this summer - I have managed a few but AT has been the mainstay this year. I remember a time when it was the other way around.

I have no experience with Loki; I've been kicking around purchasing the smaller three 38mm motors but most of my fleet uses Slimline retainers and I'm concerned that I'll have a lot of expensive hardware that will only work in a limited number of rockets. I've been meaning to find out for sure but haven't done it yet. Should have run down to Argonia on Saturday in spectator mode; would have probably come home with a 38/240 hardware and kit.

I second Handeman's suggestion that you start out with whatever your local vendor carries.

I fly mostly AT but I have a Loki 38/480 case and have flown both the I430 and I110. I believe the only additional hardware is a different nozzle. Both are great, but the moonburner is awesome.

timb said:
most of my fleet uses Slimline retainers and I'm concerned that I'll have a lot of expensive hardware that will only work in a limited number of rockets.
Tim, as far as I know, from 2015 forward, Loki 38mm hardware will fit in all major brands of motor retainers. They should measure .320" from the end of the case to the back side of the thrust ring in order to fit Slimline retainers. Older models measure .375". They have always fit Aeropack's retainers.

Yes, a #16 nozzle is the only requirement for using the I-110 in the 38/480 hardware. As stated, both the I-110-LW and I-430-LB require haz-mat. If you own both the complete 38/480 & 38/240 hardware, you will have the #16 nozzle for the I-110. You will also have 2 complete hardware sets able to be loaded at the same time and ready to fly with 9 different reloads you can have shipped to your door without haz-mat.

Something else I would like to point out is quality and reliability, as I work very hard at both. I may not be able to compete on mass quantity and variety, but I most definitely can compete on quality and reliability. So while they do take a few easy steps to assemble, Loki reloads are very, very reliable. All motor manufacturers have warranties for reloads and hardware, but what is the value you place on purchasing a product that you will likely never have to warranty, one which will likely never destroy the hours upon hours of work that you have put into your rocket and possibly even your electronics? I'm not saying Loki products never fail, because they have. I am saying it is extremely rare. It is something you can not put a price on but which has an extraordinarily high value.

Back