• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

newbie looking for motor hardware

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokketz

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new to the forum and to the sport, trying to get into some higher power stuff (tired of all the estes cardboard motors and airships) and looking for some 24mm, 29mm and 38mm motor hardware,maybe some 54mm (for when i go for my L1)
......scratch and dent (well maybe not dent :smile: but used) is fine, if anyone has some older stuff they just dont use anymore and want to clear out the shop of those things laying around taking up valuable space from your higher power stuff then im interested. Loki, RMS, Dr. Rocket, knock offs, whatever...please shoot me a PM and let me know what you have and how much you want. I can paypal friends and family so you dont get hit with charges....saves us both some $$ right, and this is such a tight forum i trust you guys/gals!!!

anyway, limited budget but want to try and learn how to play with the "real" rocketeers ....thanks everyone and i have enjoyed reading a lot of the posts here and have learned a great deal already...

take care
Chuck

Yeah I thought I was actually posting in that forum. Sorry. Told you I was a newbie. Anyway I watch it pretty close. You guys are quick and looks like I just missed a huge fire sale I could have scored some really good stuff

Yeah I thought I was actually posting in that forum. Sorry. Told you I was a newbie. Anyway I watch it pretty close. You guys are quick and looks like I just missed a huge fire sale I could have scored some really good stuff
Be patient, it will come. If you make a wanted post with specific desired object in the title, it can help jog folks' memory on dusty corners of their rocket closet.

well i didnt say broke, just cant afford to pay for alot of high end new stuff at this stage of the hobby, (as much as i might like or want too). I have 4 kids, a beautiful wife, two homes, 4 cars and two boats,,,, three of the kids are in competitive sports which eats up alot of my extra time and ALL of my extra money, and i did say i was (hoping) to achieve my L1 at some point this year. I don't necessarily have to to that with a 54 or 38 for that matter, i am aware that the reloads for those are $$$. But i would imagine that when i get to the point where i even have an airship to handle a 54 i would be able to spring for the propellant.

After all half of the fun of this hobby is building something and watching if take off into the sky. I plan to scratch build my L1 ship, and while i could potentially scratch build casings, nozzles and end closures too (its really NOT that difficult) it might take a while to perfect those things so that's why im reaching out to the mostly friendly folks here on the site ...one mans trash is another mans treasure. thanks for your support though anyway! and may your chutes always open.....

I'm pretty sure you can't use a research (scratch built) motor for a level attempt. But I may be wrong.

What motor size do you want, saying "any" is very broad. How heavy of a rocket?

I'm pretty sure you can't use a research (scratch built) motor for a level attempt. But I may be wrong.

What motor size do you want, saying "any" is very broad. How heavy of a rocket?

You're correct; only certified commercial motors may be used for a certification.

Steve Shannon

I bought and built all different sizes and brands of motors, tons of kits before flying them all, etc

my advice from this side.... build one rocket and fly the snot out of it.

Itll depend on your waiver, but a 2.6" or 3" rocket with a 54mm mount will fly on a wide range of motors.

Pick up an aerotech 38/360 and 38/720 case, or Loki 38/480 and 740 and fly like crazy.

yeah i think you're right Eric, unless you're Tripoli member or maybe sponsored by an EX Tripoli cert person, i really don't know, and honestly am not planning to scratch build a 54mm motor anyway but you have to admit there are a lot of clones out there that look feel and are made from the same materials as RMS, Loki, DR. Rockets etc, and aside from the nozzle (which RMS loads come with anyway) making one (motor hardware/casing) could be easily accomplished with the right tools.
as far as size, maybe something like a 24/40 or 60, or in 29mm a 29/120,180,240 or 38mm a 38/120,240,360.....

thanks David, that sounds like good advice, i appreciate that! ....and that's partly what im trying to do is learn, it can be quite expensive to learn by trying all shapes and sizes.....but i need a good starting point and thats part of what im looking for, so it may be a 38, may be a 29 who knows...to me (at this stage) i think i will have fun flying the snot out of any rocket with either motor. Building rockets is fun, and some other forum member posted using mailing tubes...well maybe not for my L1.... but why not otherwise :) ..guys this is a hobby for me, not my lifes work, it should be fun ...right!! Thanks again David!

I have a set of Dr. Rockets. I am looking for a bigger 1080 or 1320 case and an adapter system. So I could part with one size. I'll pm you.

If you'd like to scratch build, I recommend getting some 2.6" or 3" bluetube and using a LOC nosecone.
Put a 38mm mount in it, and fly 29mm motors with an adaptor. Aerotech 29mm motor ship non hazmat, and most Loki 38 120, 240 and 480 ship Jim hazmat also. Many options for cheap flying, and you can easily do L1 on it. Add an avbay and altimeter into the design and you're flying your L2 in the same rocket.

(If I was starting again today though, and had a 14K or better waiver, I'd do what I just did.... get a MAC 54mm kit with a 38 mount, and toss an AIM XTRA in it to handle deployment and tracking, and fly the snot out of it on F to K motors. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...4mm-Zodiac-DD-(Flight-One!)&highlight=zodiac)

Last edited:
well i didnt say broke, just cant afford to pay for alot of high end new stuff at this stage of the hobby, (as much as i might like or want too). I have 4 kids, a beautiful wife, two homes, 4 cars and two boats,,,,

No need to gloat good sir.:wink: I too have 3 boats. A canoe, a pirogue and an '74 VIP that is on the bottom on the lake. LOL

Unless you want to use adapters every time you fly, build the bird with a MMT the size you will use. If you don't intend to fly 54mm in your L1 bird, why the heck would you put a 54mm hole in it. That being said, David is right. You CAN adapt down and fly tons of motors; a baby J in a 2.6" bird will get you around a mile. If I am gonna fly something like that, it may as well be 54mm. Build your L1 bird 38mm and you'll be happy with it. There are tons of loads between Aerotech, CTI, and Loki. Then move up and build screamers and cloud seekers.

I have to agree with him again on grabbing you an AT 38/360 motor. Lots of loads and then grab you a Reload Adapter System and fly 120 and 240 in the same case. I will say that when looking at hardware, Aerotech 29mm and 38mm complete motors (and reloads) are the same price for 240 and 360 sizes. But 38mm cases are cheaper. So it's cheaper to branch out by purchasing cases and not complete motors with 38mm. 38mm Lokis are probably the cheapest all around, but used motors don't show up much. Why do you think that is? LOL. Really easy to assemble too. All of my high power flights so far have been Loki or AT 38mm, but I am still at the kiddie table.

Now, since you weren't looking for advice...
I have an AT 29/240 motor (I think) that I can probably live without. Especially since I have never flown it, and don't have much intention to fly it. I have one bird, my Wildman Sport, with a 29mm hole. If I had one rocket that could be called sentimental, it would be that one; and I don't want it to vanish or shred on that motor. I bought a 29/180 specifically for that rocket. All of my 38mm birds fly on Loki 38/240, AT 38/240 or 38/360, and I see no reason for me to adapt down to 29mm. Yeah I can build a new bird to handle it, but if I build a new bird, why wouldn't I put a 38mm hole in it right?

If you are interested, PM me. I'll dig around for it tomorrow and we can talk about a price. Pretty sure it is here somewhere. It is used, but not by me. I'll see what else I have that I can part with as well.

Mikey D

The 29/240 is probably my favorite case for L1 motors. I could fly H250G motors all day in my Optima single deploy and never ever get bored.

Limited budget =L1 on 29mm. Why would you even consider 54mm? Yep, I said it!

+1

Start with a hobbyline 29 mm case to get into AP and reloads in general and then get the aerotech 29mm cases, whose reloads ship without hazmat fees. Later you can work your way into the larger sizes.

well i didnt say broke, just cant afford to pay for alot of high end new stuff at this stage of the hobby, (as much as i might like or want too). I have 4 kids, a beautiful wife, two homes, 4 cars and two boats,,,

well, theres some solutions there:
put the kids to work, lease out the 2nd home, and welp, they may be nice cars and boats................
but can they break mach????:)

If you're on a budget, why not use one of the Aerotech DMS 29mm motors for your L1? The H115 Dark Matter is a pretty sweet motor, and they're under $30. You have to fly a bunch of loads before you pay for the case vs. DMS motors, so why not start out with DMS then work up to Aerotech RMS or CTI when you start flying more?

I did my L1 on a H115DM with my Argent. Great motor and the Estes PSII rockets are a good stepping stone.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

The 29/240 is probably my favorite case for L1 motors. I could fly H250G motors all day in my Optima single deploy and never ever get bored.

I think that is the main reason I bought the case, for the H250G and it offers the most variety of all the HP 29s. Your Optima is a nice looking bird BTW, inspires me to clone one myself.:)

There is always Ebay, you just missed a ton of assorted 29 and 38 hardware, some with closures some without. I picked up a 75/6400 with closures from ebay, you can also find hobby reloads too just compare prices first. I would suggest going through and building 24 and 29 hobby motors, that can just as entertaining, they can also fit in those old estes kits too.

If you're on a budget, why not use one of the Aerotech DMS 29mm motors for your L1? The H115 Dark Matter is a pretty sweet motor, and they're under $30. You have to fly a bunch of loads before you pay for the case vs. DMS motors, so why not start out with DMS then work up to Aerotech RMS or CTI when you start flying more?

I agree with this.
I've seen a lot of people bit by the rocketry bug spend a bunch of money anticipating that they will progress faster and farther than they actually do. It's better for people not to stretch their budgets at first.

Steve Shannon

If you are on a budget, the info that David relayed is good advice. I initially bought a Giant Leap escape velocity (2.5 inch diameter) with a 38 mm hole that served me well for the L1 and L2 certs. As recommended, getting a kit with a 54 or 38mm hole, using motor adapters, will provide a large latitude in motors that can be used. You should also consider CTI motors/reloads which are simple to use in the 38 & 54mm range. Plus, spacers can be used in a larger case size to vary the number of grains used, which also provides more diversity. Finally, if you can wait to Thanksgiving, companies such as Wildman rocketry offer black Friday sales on kits and motors at considerable savings.
Good luck!
Fred
L2, member of Camden,SC
KG4YGP

Back