Looks like a new GPS tracker on Missle Works site

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FINALLY placed my order!!! Very excited to not lose rockets haha.

I'm going to get the Turnigy 1s lipo. Does anyone have a charger they'd recommend? The world of these small batteries is all new and foreign to me.

If someone posted a link to a decent charger and I just missed it, my apologies in advance.

Correct. Those stats, LAT, LON, ALTITUDE go blank when signal is lost. It does continue to show the line to the last known location. And once I got within 700-800 feet and signal was regained, the stats all displayed again.

It didn't lose signal while it was flying. Only when it landed from the ground interference.

Hmm, this is a bit troubling. I want to see some coordinates at all times. Maybe the last known position is still displayed in the console/log? I'll have to test it out. I have all 3 apps on my phone and I am getting the features mixed up. I think maybe Bluetooth GPS plus my trusty Garmin is the best approach.

FINALLY placed my order!!! Very excited to not lose rockets haha.

I'm going to get the Turnigy 1s lipo. Does anyone have a charger they'd recommend? The world of these small batteries is all new and foreign to me.

If someone posted a link to a decent charger and I just missed it, my apologies in advance.

Welp. Nevermind. Ordered the one off Hobbyking.

Hmm, this is a bit troubling. I want to see some coordinates at all times. Maybe the last known position is still displayed in the console/log? I'll have to test it out. I have all 3 apps on my phone and I am getting the features mixed up. I think maybe Bluetooth GPS plus my trusty Garmin is the best approach.

I tried it tonight and disconnected the TX power to simulate signal loss. The CONSOLE tab continues to show all the info. It just stops scrolling. There's a lot of digits that are easy to lose the lat/lon in. If you can figure out how to decipher it (I'm not sure I could) the info will be there for reference.

If everything works out, in a couple weeks I might be able to take one of these to ~14K-15K feet. Does anyone have experience at that altitude yet?

If everything works out, in a couple weeks I might be able to take one of these to ~14K-15K feet. Does anyone have experience at that altitude yet?

I would expect it will work fine. I have the RTx system which uses the same GPS and radio and I've flown to 21k with no loss of signal and recovered up to 1 mile away with no issues. I fly my RTx simultaneously connected to the LCD screen and to my phone (using RocketTrack when I have phone signal). Please report back here after you've flown and share your experience.

-brant

Did you ever figure out how to import them? I have the rocket_path.txt on my desktop but can't get it to open.

I tried it tonight and disconnected the TX power to simulate signal loss. The CONSOLE tab continues to show all the info. It just stops scrolling. There's a lot of digits that are easy to lose the lat/lon in. If you can figure out how to decipher it (I'm not sure I could) the info will be there for reference.

Any update on this? In the event of signal loss, the only way to get the coordinates is through the console? Do other apps have the same issue? I've been using Rocket Track so far without issue, but I've not yet had a hard landing or anything that killed the tx.

Any update on this? In the event of signal loss, the only way to get the coordinates is through the console? Do other apps have the same issue? I've been using Rocket Track so far without issue, but I've not yet had a hard landing or anything that killed the tx.

If you lose signal you lose coordinate updates. The map still gives you the track line and the existing coordinates remain in the console tab until you get close enough to regain signal then it starts updating again.

Does that answer your question?

Thanks for the reply. In an earlier post you said "The receiver lost signal when it landed which was expected. Rocket Track held the last position and gave me a line to that position, but didn't show the distance, lat/lon, or other data until I got to within around 700-800 feet of the transmitter, it regained signal, started showing all the data again, and took me right to my rocket." I use Rocket Track but have not experienced this issue, perhaps I didn't lose the signal. Are you saying that with Rocket Track you lose distance and bearing info if the signal is lost? Is that also the case with Rocket Locator? 700 feet does not seem like a lot of range.

I would expect it will work fine. I have the RTx system which uses the same GPS and radio and I've flown to 21k with no loss of signal and recovered up to 1 mile away with no issues. I fly my RTx simultaneously connected to the LCD screen and to my phone (using RocketTrack when I have phone signal). Please report back here after you've flown and share your experience.

-brant

I finally got to do this launch. When I lost sight of the rocket and looked at my phone, RocketTrack was updating the position and altitude. GPS said the apogee was 17,455 feet. The Stratologger CF altimeter reported 16,380 feet, and I think that may be more accurate.

I turned off Follow Me and zoomed out. I could see where the rocket was over our field. Its path was traced with a thin black line. I got regular updates on altitude and coyld tell it was descending under drogue. The distance was updating too and i could see it was drifting over a mile away.

I was able to tell about where it was and pointed in its direction. Mikec searched with his binoculars and found it right as I was saying "700 feet, main should be firing." And was able to confirm the main was out.

It landed 1.5 miles away, so we took a Jeep out for retrieval. The data stayed on my phone and i could see the distance to the rocket counting down. The driver is aggressive and we took a hard, slamming bounce that knocked the phone and receiver out of my hands. When I picked them back up, the bluetooth had lost connection with my phone. I got them reconnected but all the data was gone. According to the screen before the phone got knocked out of my hand, we were within 1300 feet. I got out of the jeep and walked around for a few minutes before I reacquired the signal and it took me to my rocket.

So it worked to at least mid 16k feet, mach 1.5 and a mile and a half out. I really liked watching the trace on the map and the stats update. I didn't like losing the bluetooth connection and data.

Last edited:
I finally got to do this launch. .. ..... I didn't like losing the bluetooth connection and data.

It is really nifty. Did you use "Load Last Position"? That's always pointed me to the last received packet coordinate. In Colorado at NARAM, I had the fortune to use that "Last position" to g9 retrieve my base station where I left it during recovery

It is really nifty. Did you use "Load Last Position"? That's always pointed me to the last received packet coordinate. In Colorado at NARAM, I had the fortune to use that "Last position" to g9 retrieve my base station where I left it during recovery

Where is the load last position option? I couldn't find it yesterday or today when I checked.

I finally got to do this launch. When I lost sight of the rocket and looked at my phone, RocketTrack was updating the position and altitude. GPS said the apogee was 17,455 feet. The Stratologger CF altimeter reported 16,380 feet, and I think that may be more accurate.

You might have already considered this, but I'd expect the GPS altitude to be MSL, while the SLCF should be AGL. Happen to be launching from ~1100 ft MSL?

You might have already considered this, but I'd expect the GPS altitude to be MSL, while the SLCF should be AGL. Happen to be launching from ~1100 ft MSL?

Our launch field has an elevation of a lofty 63 feet. I actually am BELOW sea level for a short time while driving to the field.

Back