Looks like a new GPS tracker on Missle Works site

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Return of the tracking neophyte!

So I've been using this thing and its legit (when I use a properly charged battery)

But I can't seem to locate the saved paths on the android RocketLocater app. I click Save path after every launch, but I haven't been able to find them when diggin through my phone's files once I hook it to my computer.....

I've got an XT1080 by motorola.
Any ideas?
Phone isn't compatible with GPSRL's storage?
T3 doesn't send the data that rocket locator saves?

Return of the tracking neophyte!

So I've been using this thing and its legit (when I use a properly charged battery)

But I can't seem to locate the saved paths on the android RocketLocater app. I click Save path after every launch, but I haven't been able to find them when diggin through my phone's files once I hook it to my computer.....

I've got an XT1080 by motorola.
Any ideas?
Phone isn't compatible with GPSRL's storage?
T3 doesn't send the data that rocket locator saves?

On my phone, the file is called "rocket_path.txt" and it is written to the root directory of the internal storage.

The maps disappeared also. Worked a month ago, but not now.

Google killed the photo maptiles for this app. Did it once before and there was a workaround. The app had the ability in the pull down
menu to download the tiles for off line use. If one took the time to download the tiles at various zoomlevels (takes a lot of space hence
being able to "put" them on a 128Gb micro SD card is nice) they are in a directory called /mapcache/google. One can
download the OSM maptiles if they are going to be using a device without internet access. If one just used the app live with internet access and didn't download the tiles specifically, then the photo map tiles are gone.

The OSM or Open Source Maps are still available but it is nice to be able to "see" the tree line, the vegetation likely around the drainage ditch
or the building that your rocket landed close to. But a plain map is still helpful.

The OSM maptiles take less space but of course don't show as much detail as a recent aerial photomap.

The Ham Radio tracking app APRSISCE/32 radio tracking app uses an arc GIS photo map set that apparently is unencumbered:
https://aprsisce.wikidot.com/

The photo maps are a few years old but still very workable for showing most features in open fields.

Am using a modified version of APRSISCE/32 to track with EggFinders and it will work with a MW T3 as my ground test has shown.
Haven't flown the T3 yet but looking forward to it.

As an aside, if anyone gets a used Garmin for tracking purposes this site has OSM maps you can download and load up in compatible
Gamin GPS units: https://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

The maps are quite good but don't expect the directory to be up to date as far as finding stores, gas stations, hotels, etc. The maps are
fine for rocket tracking in a second hand Garmin GPS.

Kurt

On my phone, the file is called "rocket_path.txt" and it is written to the root directory of the internal storage.

The maps disappeared also. Worked a month ago, but not now.

No love.

Thanks for the tip though, an extension search saved me some digging.

Update: I actually found them. Nothing was visible in the main folder, but I got into a streak of deleting old dowloads and photos and backing stuff up, then lo and behold there was a rocket_path file and a rocket folder.

Now I just have to figure out how to import them to google earth pro.....

Last edited:
This unit looks awesome and I'm super interested in the whole shebang: tracker, 3D printed sled and base box, everything!

But, hey, dumb question amnesty please: Do the units come with the pigtails to connect the battery? If not, any recommendations? I'll be getting the Turnigy 750mAh recommended on the site. Thanks.

This unit looks awesome and I'm super interested in the whole shebang: tracker, 3D printed sled and base box, everything!

But, hey, dumb question amnesty please: Do the units come with the pigtails to connect the battery? If not, any recommendations? I'll be getting the Turnigy 750mAh recommended on the site. Thanks.

They don't come with pigtails, but I got a pack from Amazon pretty cheap for altimeter power anyway.

If you grab a pack, you'll end up using the extras somewhere before you know it!

Hey, I had some parts ly'in around and cobbled together the T3 receiver. I had some 1/2" standoffs I ordered by mistake one time, a project box that needed a project, a locking SPST switch and a big flat 3000mah Tenergy 3.7V lipo that was just sitting around.
I experimented with cellphone jammers for awhile as I absolutely hate being interrupted by inconsiderate people's stupid a%% cellphones. The low powered ones weren't worth diddly squat and the higher powered ones wiped out most of my side of the building so I couldn't do that without arousing suspicion or trouble. I acquiesced I have to put up with the stupidhead inconsiderates of the the world so stood down from jamming.

Anywho that's why I had the flat Tenergy pack.
IMG_20180105_202435.jpgIMG_20180105_202532.jpg

I used the 1/2" hexagonal standoff for the distal end by the battery terminal. You can see the 2/56 retaining nut there. I was able to drill the hole for the RP-SMA connector nearly
"just right" and had to use two nylon washers on the the standoff to level things out.
I didn't bother with standoffs at the two holes next to the RP-SMA antenna connector as the
nut on the connect will adequately hold the board to that case along with the distal
standoff.

That switch is a locking switch. I have to "pull" to throw it and it locks in place. Hard to shut off. In fact it's so hard to shut off, I use them on the bulkhead to turn on a M.A.D. unit for
apogee only deployment of a chute. Cripes, once the charge fires, I don't care what happens to the switch then. I've never had a MAD unit fail yet with this switch nor has it been knocked
to the off position by deployment charges.

The flat Tenergy 3.7V 3000mah pack is simply double stick servo taped to the side of the box.
That extra JST connector one sees there is to plug the lipo into the charger for recharging.
+ is taken off at the + terminal of the T3 receiver as I plugged two wires there one from the battery and one from the JST. The - is taken off at the switch. When the switch is off, I can charge to the JST without issue. The juice goes to the battery only with the switch off.

Yeah it can be crammed into a smaller box with a smaller battery but I had the stuff ly'in around so decided to put it to use. My gosh, I remember I got these funky long 2/56 hexagonal standoffs just sitt'in there so decided to put one to good use!:) Kurt

I did something similar to Kurt

I had some 3mm plywood, a box, and a mini DPST switch and built a sled for the transmitter and a box for the receiver.

I used a DPDT switch I had to switch the battery to the board or the charging connector. I had thick wall tubing that I used to install a sled with the transmitter. The tube gets taped to the shock cord with several wraps of electrical tape. I had done this with just the transmitter and battery in bubble wrap and it worked very well, but I decided to build a sled for it. I use 2-56 nylon screws to attach the transmitter to the board which is build from pieces of 3mm ply glued in the right places. There are several pieces to make the stand offs and threaded holes to attach the board to and more pieces glued in place to hold and contain the 3.7V LiPo. I sanded down the sides so there was enough clearance to be able to wrap the battery and antenna to the board with electrical tape and still fit the sled in the tube. It all slides into the tube and the end caps are taped in place.

20180106_175722.jpg

20180106_175802.jpg

Nice. I was like what the hay. I found that funky flat lipo out in the garage where it got tossed after the sewer line backup last April. That's when it hit me I had these project boxes and weird standoffs (the standoffs I got by accident!). I think now I'll try to
screw a horizontal clip on the back of the box so I can clip the T3 receiver to a backpack strap. I slap a Yagi on my receivers once the rocket is down so with the EggFinder LCD's I have one of the Black Arrow cases I wear with a neckstrap so I can hold my Nexus 7 one handed in a flat black painted box and hold the Yagi in the other hand. My opinion, best way to track these days. Make the two icons come together and BAM! You found the rocket.

I was thinking the T3 might have a little edge over the Eggfinders over range but don't know that for a fact. 250mW vs. 100mW but I think the encoding on the T3 is spread spectrum? So it might be a wash between the two.

For sport flying, either one will do fine especially for a flatlander like me. Out west where the project might land 5 miles or more away out on the playa, I'd like more power and/or a move to 70cm or 2 meter Ham bands for insurance.

The key for that environment is get a trendline and try to get the last known position as low and as close to touchdown as possible. Once on the ground, the playa sucks up Rf like a sponge due to dissolved salts and the ground footprint of a transmitter
is very small. I've never flown there but that's what I'm told and would be the way I'd handle it. Of course if there is nothing but wide open spaces it's relatively easy to see a downed rocket. If the rocket goes somewhere where there's scrub vegetation
could be challenging to try and find. Kurt

What is nice about Rocket Locator and the T3, the last know position of the rocket stays on the screen and you can go to it. The receiver will update if it gets new packets. But, even weeks later you can call up the last known position of the rocket in Rocket Locator.

Finally figured out my T3, I think. Everything I have read here and on the MW website says when your phone app is synced up with the Tx/Rx, "the blinking light" will be SOLID. OK I took this to mean lights on BOTH Tx and RX had to be solid. Well apparently that's not the case. It's the light on the HC-06 BT module that needs to be solid, not the Tx and Rx lights? So today I turn on my App first then the Tx then Rx and wait till the BT module light is solid and I'm good to go.
I think I am doing this right as today is the first time in 6 tests that I've got it to work. Am I doing it right? All the other tests I didn't turn on the phone app. I just kept waiting for the lights to quit blinking. I think that's my mistake?.

Finally figured out my T3, I think. Everything I have read here and on the MW website says when your phone app is synced up with the Tx/Rx, "the blinking light" will be SOLID. OK I took this to mean lights on BOTH Tx and RX had to be solid. Well apparently that's not the case. It's the light on the HC-06 BT module that needs to be solid, not the Tx and Rx lights? So today I turn on my App first then the Tx then Rx and wait till the BT module light is solid and I'm good to go.
I think I am doing this right as today is the first time in 6 tests that I've got it to work. Am I doing it right? All the other tests I didn't turn on the phone app. I just kept waiting for the lights to quit blinking. I think that's my mistake?.

Truth. You won't get the solid BT module light until the app is on and paired.

I recently posted my repeatable T3 success process, I'll look for the thread its in.
edit: Here it is

Something else Ive noticed is some people have great luck with Rocket Locator and I don't. I have been using Bluetooth GPS and have had no problems.
As to my "problem" above, I thought both modules had to sync up first (lights on both had to be solid) and then turn on your phone app and wait till HC-06 module light was solid. Seems only the HC-06 light needs to be solid.
There seems to be a lack of details about the different lights and what they should look like on the website.

Some extra explanation could be useful. I thought the manual specifically mentioned the BT light.

I still haven't discerned a pattern for the blinking main LED's other than: If they're on, there's power

I'm sort of at a loss on batteries for the T3, can I get a link for a recommended battery for this system?

These have worked pretty well for me so far. Just make sure they're fully charged before use.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...mqx-120sr.html

Pretty much 1S (single cell) LiPo's with over 600mah capacity.

I'm looking for some 750mah batteries for longer pad/recovery time allowance.

(and there's another HARA meeting Thursday if you want to see it in action!)

The battery depends upon how much room one has and how much added weight you can tolerate. I had a TRS on one 2S battery sitting on a pad for over an 1hr and I wasn't concerned because it was a fresh 1300mah pack.
A 300 or 400mah pack to power everything, I'd be worried if used with a TRS that has to sit. Kurt

These have worked pretty well for me so far. Just make sure they're fully charged before use.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...mqx-120sr.html

Pretty much 1S (single cell) LiPo's with over 600mah capacity.

I'm looking for some 750mah batteries for longer pad/recovery time allowance.

(and there's another HARA meeting Thursday if you want to see it in action!)

I got some here a couple weeks ago. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-750mAh...385252?hash=item238bfbb8e4:g:Y88AAOSw9LZZmw-b

I use these Turnigy 750mah LiPos as recommended by others here on TRF: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...ack-walkera-v120d02s-qr-infra-x-qr-w100s.html I haven't tested them for how long they last.

I flew the T3 twice yesterday with the Rocket Track App. The first went to 4990 feet altitude and landed maybe 1500 feet away in a relatively open area. Although I had a pretty good idea where it landed, I used the tracker and app for practice. The receiver lost signal when it landed which was expected. Rocket Track held the last position and gave me a line to that position, but didn't show the distance, lat/lon, or other data until I got to within around 700-800 feet of the transmitter, it regained signal, started showing all the data again, and took me right to my rocket.

Second launch went to 4770 feet. it juked a little coming off the rail and had ended up about half a mile away. I could see it the entire flight until it landed behind some bushes. I checked RT. It had lost signal but was showing me the line to the last position. I started walking and noticed it was taking me in a slightly different direction than I thought it had landed. I kept walking, following the line until I got signal again (again, around 700-800 feet away). It didn't look like the area I thought it had landed, but it wasn't wavering so I kept following the line. I started to wonder if my nose cone had separated and the tracker landed in a different spot than I thought I had seen the rest of the rocket land. I stopped a couple times to make sure the distance was counting down as I walked. There are a lot of off roaders in the area and I wanted to make sure one hadn't taken off with my rocket. It was steady. Through more desert brush, over a berm, through more desert brush, followed the track until it said I was close. Looked up and my whole rocket was laying there in a couple of bushes, right where the chute had landed it.

The compass in RT doesn't work unless it's getting signal. When it does have signal, I like flipping back and forth between the map and the compass as I walk to the rocket. It gives you little green heading with the distance to your rocket.

I should note that we have good cell signal in our launch area and RT can download the satellite images for the map.

(Snip for brevity's sake)
I should note that we have good cell signal in our launch area and RT can download the satellite images for the map.

Did you happen to note how much data it took to paint the maps for you in your tracking sessions? Not important for those with unlimited plans but for those with metered plans it might be helpful. Bust one's limits and they get
hit with stiff charges.

I have both RT and GPSRL on my devices and I have downloaded the photomaps before they went away with GPSRL. I did that for the two nearby sites I fly from.

One can use GPSRL without any maps whatsoever but one has to zoom out to see that datum line to the rocket and remember that north is up. I don't know how RT behaves if no maps are available. Keep that in mind
if going to an unfamilar launch site. Perhaps download the Open Source maps for a GPSRL installation with the intention of using Rocket Track. If RT doesn't work onsite, fire up GPSRL and see if it can get working for you.

I generally haven't had a problem with GPSRL outdoors with good GPS locks on both devices. It seems to me I've had better luck with HC-05 B/T modules but I haven't ditched the HC-06's in my already built devices.
Kurt

Did you happen to note how much data it took to paint the maps for you in your tracking sessions? Not important for those with unlimited plans but for those with metered plans it might be helpful. Bust one's limits and they get
hit with stiff charges.

Sorry, I didn't. I don't think it takes too much. You can't zoom out in RT* so it only shows the image of the area right around you and where you walk while retrieving your rocket. So it's not loading the entire area at different zoom levels.

*I would prefer that it did so I could see where the rocket actually is before I get relatively close to it. But I still like the app.

The receiver lost signal when it landed which was expected. Rocket Track held the last position and gave me a line to that position, but didn't show the distance, lat/lon, or other data until I got to within around 700-800 feet of the transmitter,

I am a little confused by your description. The lat/long of the last known position was not displayed? It went blank until the signal was regained at 700-800 ft?

I am a little confused by your description. The lat/long of the last known position was not displayed? It went blank until the signal was regained at 700-800 ft?

Correct. Those stats, LAT, LON, ALTITUDE go blank when signal is lost. It does continue to show the line to the last known location. And once I got within 700-800 feet and signal was regained, the stats all displayed again.

It didn't lose signal while it was flying. Only when it landed from the ground interference.

Sorry, I didn't. I don't think it takes too much. You can't zoom out in RT* so it only shows the image of the area right around you and where you walk while retrieving your rocket. So it's not loading the entire area at different zoom levels.

*I would prefer that it did so I could see where the rocket actually is before I get relatively close to it. But I still like the app.

Try turning off "follow me" in the corner before attempting to zoom out. Worked for me in static testing. Kurt

Back