Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Return of the tracking neophyte!

So I've been using this thing and its legit (when I use a properly charged battery)

But I can't seem to locate the saved paths on the android RocketLocater app. I click Save path after every launch, but I haven't been able to find them when diggin through my phone's files once I hook it to my computer.....

I've got an XT1080 by motorola.
    Any ideas?
    Phone isn't compatible with GPSRL's storage?
    T3 doesn't send the data that rocket locator saves?

"I'm at least 70% confident about whatever I say (90% of the time)"- college me

NAR 101195
    Level 1: Big SAM, 9/10/16

Quote Originally Posted by Nytrunner View Post
    Return of the tracking neophyte!

So I've been using this thing and its legit (when I use a properly charged battery)

But I can't seem to locate the saved paths on the android RocketLocater app. I click Save path after every launch, but I haven't been able to find them when diggin through my phone's files once I hook it to my computer.....

I've got an XT1080 by motorola.
    Any ideas?
    Phone isn't compatible with GPSRL's storage?
    T3 doesn't send the data that rocket locator saves?
    On my phone, the file is called "rocket_path.txt" and it is written to the root directory of the internal storage.

The maps disappeared also. Worked a month ago, but not now.

Google killed the photo maptiles for this app. Did it once before and there was a workaround. The app had the ability in the pull down
    menu to download the tiles for off line use. If one took the time to download the tiles at various zoomlevels (takes a lot of space hence
    being able to "put" them on a 128Gb micro SD card is nice) they are in a directory called /mapcache/google. One can
    download the OSM maptiles if they are going to be using a device without internet access. If one just used the app live with internet access and didn't download the tiles specifically, then the photo map tiles are gone.

The OSM or Open Source Maps are still available but it is nice to be able to "see" the tree line, the vegetation likely around the drainage ditch
    or the building that your rocket landed close to. But a plain map is still helpful.

The OSM maptiles take less space but of course don't show as much detail as a recent aerial photomap.

The Ham Radio tracking app APRSISCE/32 radio tracking app uses an arc GIS photo map set that apparently is unencumbered:
    http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/

The photo maps are a few years old but still very workable for showing most features in open fields.

Am using a modified version of APRSISCE/32 to track with EggFinders and it will work with a MW T3 as my ground test has shown.
    Haven't flown the T3 yet but looking forward to it.

As an aside, if anyone gets a used Garmin for tracking purposes this site has OSM maps you can download and load up in compatible
    Gamin GPS units: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

The maps are quite good but don't expect the directory to be up to date as far as finding stores, gas stations, hotels, etc. The maps are
    fine for rocket tracking in a second hand Garmin GPS.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    On my phone, the file is called "rocket_path.txt" and it is written to the root directory of the internal storage.

The maps disappeared also. Worked a month ago, but not now.
    No love.

Thanks for the tip though, an extension search saved me some digging.

Update: I actually found them. Nothing was visible in the main folder, but I got into a streak of deleting old dowloads and photos and backing stuff up, then lo and behold there was a rocket_path file and a rocket folder.

Now I just have to figure out how to import them to google earth pro.....

Last edited by Nytrunner; 4th December 2017 at 02:48 AM.