Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post

Anyway, what do you guys think about shrink wrapping the LiPo to the rocket board, ala BRB900? I see all these pics of Eggfinders and such with elaborate mounting of the battery and the board to a sled, creating a large footprint. My BRB900 is a nice, tidy package that fits almost anywhere with some bubble wrap.
    As long as there is nothing to squish on the backside of the board, it should be doable
    if you like. Kurt

Updates:

We're getting close to catching up on the T3 order backlog, so thanks all for your patience... transitioning from proto's to production for the first time is always interesting too. Sorry about the "hidden" antenna verbiage... I have taken a new product picture to show all the pieces.
    http://www.missileworks.com/store/#!.../90226446/cate

Jim Amos
    www.missileworks.com
    TRA 5715/NAR 24853

Nice. Thank you!

Broke down and received a T3 yesterday. Did a quick setup and pairing with two Nexus 7's (2012 and 2013) and
    "GPS Rocket Locator" works with it right out of the box. I paired the base via B/T to a Linux tablet without any
    issue. Got placed at /dev/rfcomm1 (rfcomm0 had a Mobilnk TNC feeding a program on it). Changed the permission,
    set the datastream coming in over the port as "My" local position and the strings were being decoded very nicely in Xastir.

I have a python script so I can get the strings converted to APRS and a tracked rocket can be displayed on the Xastir map nicely.

Tried to get Winblows to pair and use the HC-06 and as usual, it screws it up royally. Tried using the com10 and com13 ports to pipe the strings to a few apps and no freaking dice. This is a Winblows problem as opposed to
    the T3. I did find with experimenting with the 3DR radios, the HC-05 seemed to work on a more stable fashion
    than the HC-06. Go figure. Again, not a fault of the T3 but an issue with WinDoze.

Again, Android and Linux works fine. Could be my Winblows installation too. Kurt

Been playing with my T3 too. Nice piece of kit, but bigger (thicker) than I expected. I'm gonna get that thing in a 38 NC all nice and secure though...I'm getting close.
    So much of my rocket building time has been diverted toward my "other hobby": Race Timing

Quote Originally Posted by ksaves2 View Post
    As long as there is nothing to squish on the backside of the board, it should be doable
    if you like. Kurt
    I am not smart enough to tell what is squishable, hence my question.

I will be doing no squishing when I get mine lol

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    I am not smart enough to tell what is squishable, hence my question.
    The X-bee module is on the other side and doesn't cover the full length of the board. Pulled out one of my LP Beeline GPS units and the T3 is physically smaller. If you go to shrink wrapping a 750mah 1S lipo on the backside, just make sure no metal touches the traces of the X-bee Rf module. Looks doable. Eyeballing it, it's about the same thickness as a Beeline GPS if you shrink wrap a 750Mah 1S pack to it . (There were no discrete components on the opposite side to get "squished" as far as I can see.)

I did a run and messed around for ~2 hours or a little bit more and nearly sucked a 500mah
    1S pack dry. I apologize as I didn't keep track of time but I believe I easily got over 2 hours.

Remember, It's putting out 250Mw as opposed to 100Mw of other units. Power consumption is higher and should be expected. On this 33cm band, more power is desirable to stretch the range a bit. Kurt
    Last edited by ksaves2; 12th October 2017 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Grammar

Glad to learn all your wares are operational, guys. Each system is end-to-end tested after I setup the XBee network configuration and make the radio power junction shunt. End-to-end is from Rocket uBlox7/XBee to Base XBee/HC-06 to Android...

These are power hungry little beasites with all that NMEA "payload fluff" and the ~200ma pull during transmit... my bench test was just minutes shy of 4 hours continuous data using a 1S 750mAh NanoTech.

We'll be caught up this weekend on backorders and I'm hoping to design some PLA boxes and adapters for easy setups.
    Jim Amos
    www.missileworks.com
    TRA 5715/NAR 24853

Something I would like to see in the design of the box is someway to either hang it around your neck or a belt/pocket clip.

Quote Originally Posted by captbk View Post
    Something I would like to see in the design of the box is someway to either hang it around your neck or a belt/pocket clip.
    I'd just velcro it to your hat with a right angle Antenna adapter.�� Kurt !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170929_163401.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	329917

Our duck antenna's bend to 90 deg already, so we're already *hat friendly*
    Jim Amos
    www.missileworks.com
    TRA 5715/NAR 24853

It was hard (at least for me) to get this thing in a 38 NC, but I got it last night...that terminal block was brutal, but convenient to have. Again, Jim, nice product.
    Last edited by Cl(VII); 13th October 2017 at 07:14 PM.
    So much of my rocket building time has been diverted toward my "other hobby": Race Timing

Quote Originally Posted by Cl(VII) View Post
    It was hard (at least for me) to get this thing in a 38 NC, but I got it last night...that terminal block was brutal, but convenient to have. Again, Jim, nice product.
    Make sure you didn't smash the wire antenna if that it what you're using. Kurt

Make sure you didn't smash the wire antenna if that it what you're using. Kurt
    I have the RPSMA, but there is breathing room between board and sled.