Looks like a new GPS tracker on Missle Works site

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I currently have the GPS/RTx navigation system. Will the rocket T3 unit work with that LCD receiver?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I currently have the GPS/RTx navigation system. Will the rocket T3 unit work with that LCD receiver?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I have yet to start down this road, and it's my hope to modify the RTx firmware in order to support this. Existing systems would require an upgrade reflash in order to support the NMEA payload and operate in dual roles. More to come on this soon.

28.5mm x 114.3mm (1.125" x 4.5")

Thanks for posting this... I noticed this and I realized I overlooked the update of the "real dimensions" of the T3.

The actual dimensions are:
1" x 2.075" (25.4mm x 52.7mm)

I'm working on 1W versions of the T3 and RTx, and supporting 868 for EU flyers...
1W is power hungry (900ma), but should easily support flights > 100K AGL

Thanks for posting this... I noticed this and I realized I overlooked the update of the "real dimensions" of the T3.

I'm working on 1W versions of the T3 and RTx, and supporting 868 for EU flyers...
Oh! That's substantially more exciting. I didn't see a weight, but guessing about 20g?

Dang, sounds like that should fit inside a 38mm nose cone without much issue then?

Oh! That's substantially more exciting. I didn't see a weight, but guessing about 20g?

I've got to tweak the user manual, so as part of this exercise I'll weigh the rocket board and include it in the updated specs.

Dang @dhbarr... 19.5 grams! Nice work.

p.s. new version User Manual uploaded to web site with "correct" dimensions (v1.01)

I have yet to start down this road, and it's my hope to modify the RTx firmware in order to support this. Existing systems would require an upgrade reflash in order to support the NMEA payload and operate in dual roles. More to come on this soon.

I too was hoping for interoperability with my RTx base. I'll be keeping an eye out for that upgrade.

-brant

I got linked to this thread for a new tracking system... you have my interest. And most of my wallet. :)

Okay, let me get this right...

$150 gets me a full GPS tracking system. Base unit, transmitters, and an antenna for each, and all I need is my smartphone, and a rocket to fly it in?!

Okay, let me get this right...

$150 gets me a full GPS tracking system. Base unit, transmitters, and an antenna for each, and all I need is my smartphone, and a rocket to fly it in?!

Well yes and no. With the iPhone you should be able to manually plug in the positions to track. Bonded to an Android phone or tablet and you should be able to use the program GPS rocket locator to track on a map. Kurt

Last edited:
Just a dumb question, in the top picture the base unit looks as if it's wired into the phone. It's plugged in to a battery behind the phone right?

Correct. They used the battery to prop up the phone, probably to improve the view of it's screen.

Just a dumb question, in the top picture the base unit looks as if it's wired into the phone. It's plugged in to a battery behind the phone right?
I had the same question. Also, the base unit shows no antenna attached. Included, yes?

I had the same question. Also, the base unit shows no antenna attached. Included, yes?

I don't think so but if I were you, I'd look for a decent aftermarket antenna like one from these guys:

https://linxtechnologies.com/wp/product/hw-series-antennas/

Use the RP-SMA ones. If you have the room, consider an RP-SMA antenna on the transmitter portion.
If you use the wire, you must make certain it doesn't get deformed or squished down. I run a Beeline GPS
with the antenna going through the forward bulkhead into the Main chute bay of a Wildman Jr. I use a cardboard tube (actually the tube that Aerotech igniters come in for the larger motors wrapped in duct tape) to stent the
wire so it won't get smashed under acceleration by the main chute. Works like a dream. I had no other way
to fit the GPS tracker in and putting this rocket up above 5k leads to totally out of sight flights 95% of the time
for me.

I broke down and ordered a T3 last weekend. It's akin to an EggFinder using a converted EggFinder USB base station. I added a battery and HC-06 to a 915Mhz EF receiver that was meant for USB and it works fine.
(Not the LCD receiver as it's already self contained.)

Am looking forward to delving into the T3 and firing up the Ublox UCenter utility and see what comes across.

I suspect one will just need to pair the receiver to their Android device, fire up "GPS Rocket Locator", in the setup for
GPSRL in the upper right pulldown select the HC-06 module they've already paired with their device and wait for the red pushpin to come up.

If the Ublox GPS in the T3 is setup to use the US GPS satellite system only, the red "rocket" push-pin should
come up after a short period of time. If it's setup for dual GPS/Glonass monitoring, there will be a snag.
Me thinks Mr. Amos probably has kept it simple and uses the U.S. GPS satellite system only.

I've been playing with the cheap 3DR radios and Ublox chipsets and discovered most live map tracking apps
can't handle the combined GPS/Glonass position strings. In the case of the Android devices, one can
use the "Bluetooth GPS" program: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=googoo.android.btgps&hl=en
to divert the GPS stream from the rocket into the Android device and ignore the internal GPS of the phone/tablet.
(Select "allow mock locations" under Developer options in one's phone or tablet)
Then get a cheap B/T GPS source for local location like a Royaltek RBT-1000 (got mine used for $15.00). I'm using velcro to stick the RBT-1000 to a base on my hat on top of my head for
local location!
The drill for monitoring GPS/Glonass is pair the devices, fire up the Android program "B/T GPS"
select the module that is bringing the GPS/Glonass strings into the device. One can monitor what the rocket's tracker is seeing and look at it on a map in that app if they like. Make sure the outboard B/T GPS is paired to
the device. Minimize "B/T GPS" program, open "GPS Rocket Locator" and the "blue dot" is now the rocket.
Setup "GPS Rocket Locator" to use the outboard B/T GPS and your location will now be the red pushpin. The internal
GPS on one's device is ignored in this arrangement.

GPS/Glonass has the potential to be a bit more accurate and stable.

As I mentioned, I suspect the T3 is likely setup for GPS only to keep it simple so one doesn't have to worry about the above. For sport flying U.S. GPS is more than adequate and those who've flown above 10k with 100mW systems give
glowing reports. The T3 should do just as well and perhaps better at longer distances.

In reality for recovery, one only needs a couple of positions (even one is good enough sometimes) just before
touchdown to get the rocket back. From what I see the systems out there do fine. The T3 is a great option
for one who wants a no-build entry level setup. No more lost sight unseen rockets unless they come down in
an inaccessible place. Kurt

Last edited:
Check website for answer.

Or look above in the earlier post #42. Yeah, stupidhead here missed it too. Base antenna included. The circularly polarized antennas 3 leaf transmit and 4 leaf receive are really too large for smaller rockets. I doubt anyone would be able to fit them in easily in anything smaller than 4 inches. Kurt

Check website for answer.

OK, I take this comment as RTFM, so I did. Same strange picture on the website, but includes this verbiage: "A system includes BOTH boards pictured (Rocket and Base board) and also includes a Base Board articulating 1/2 wave antenna." Still, wouldn't it make sense to simply show a correct picture and clear all doubt? Non-electronics people like me need small words and big pictures!

Anyway, what do you guys think about shrink wrapping the LiPo to the rocket board, ala BRB900? I see all these pics of Eggfinders and such with elaborate mounting of the battery and the board to a sled, creating a large footprint. My BRB900 is a nice, tidy package that fits almost anywhere with some bubble wrap.

Back