Looks like a new GPS tracker on Missle Works site

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, the words are getting more confusing. To me, the logical orientation is to position the antenna parallel to the long axis of the transmitter and parallel to the rail. Is this picture correct?

View attachment 331074

You're drawing the XBee Radio wire-whip. I'm describing the patch antenna of the GPS module.

No apology required, and that's a great diagram! (the proverbial 1000 words)

You need a little more detail. It is easy though. The little square GPS (thingie) on the board needs to face "out" away from the rail. Now Mr. Amos alludes to the alternative of having the square GPS antenna facing "up" and that would entail a
hinged antenna (or cable to a bulkhead antenna arrangement) and a larger airframe that he alludes to in his post to be able to to that. In fact, if going for an altitude record that requires a GPS altitude, an upward facing antenna would probably have an edge at getting the best apogee reading.

A side facing GPS (facing away from the rail) as most of us use is a decent compromise and will let one track their rocket with no problem for recovery purposes.

Remember there is signal attenuation to an extreme degree with carbon fiber. The carbon black coloration in fiberglass NC's and tubes can modestly attenuate the out going Rf signal and I saw one person quote a test result of 1db in that case.
Not likely to be a problem to sport fliers with the T3's 250Mw output.

Also be cautious with metallic paints. When I was a neophyte and there wasn't much information out there about GPS tracking, I fired two Beeline GPS 70cm tracker rockets and I obviously didn't do an adequate enough range test. Lost one (went ballistic got it
back 18months later) and I lucked out that the other one came in from 10k' just at the limits of vision to be recovered. I only got one position from 5000'. The Beeline was set to detect the flight and then stop writing after it got to the end of the memory.
I tossed the rocket in the trunk and didn't bother to turn off the Beeline GPS until I got home. For fun, I belatedly attempted to download the trackfile (.kml) and omigosh it was there! Had 7 to 11 satellite lock the whole flight.

What happened is the rattle can Rustoleum Metallic paint was opaque to the "outgoing" Rf on the 70cm band but transparent to the "incoming" GPS signals. Cripes, it even got a fix of my car in the parking lot of the pizza joint we went to afterwards.

Attenuation is Rf frequency dependent. It might not be so bad on the 900Mhz (33cm) band with metallic paints but whatever you do, do a decent ground test if the tracker and antenna is totally enclosed in the airframe. I don't want to get that
sinking feeling ever again and trust me, you stick a rocket up on a totally sight unseen flight and you'll be sweating bricks when you don't know where to even start the search.

Losing a $260.00 APRS tracker was a tough lesson to learn about paint attenuation. Kurt

Chris Bender and I have reached an agreement to source and sell his extremely cool and expertly engineered 3D printed PETG wares.
I have just added the new T3 Modular Sled System and T3 Base Box Housing to our shopping cart.
https://www.missileworks.com/store/#!/T3-Modular-Mounting-Systems/c/25679088/offset=0&sort=normal

Very glad to be working with Jim on these. His insights have resulted in a much better product than I could have come up with alone. Hope you all like them too.

Alright, I thought I had Lipo's down, but I was wrong....

I know how to charge 2s-3s packs now, but what can I use to charge 1s cells like these? https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...ine-eagles-solo-pro-328-eflite-mqx-120sr.html

I thought they looked good for the T3 based on designer feedback, but what kind of setup will I need to charge them?
I've heard of balance boards, smart chargers, and I just realized that a lot of these chargers require a separate powersupply (80-190$....)

Any advice to a guy that just wants to charge a couple 1s cells without breaking the bank?

I know how to charge 2s-3s packs now, but what can I use to charge 1s cells like these? https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...ine-eagles-solo-pro-328-eflite-mqx-120sr.html

I thought they looked good for the T3 based on designer feedback, but what kind of setup will I need to charge them?
I've heard of balance boards, smart chargers, and I just realized that a lot of these chargers require a separate powersupply (80-190$....)

Any advice to a guy that just wants to charge a couple 1s cells without breaking the bank?

A USB charger with JST plug for ~$10 retail.

Is anyone having trouble with the Rocket Locator app downloading Google map satellite images and the compass working correctly? Mine is having a problem with both.

I bought the same batteries for my T3. they work great. I charge them with my 2-4 cell balance LIPO charger. Similar to this 2-6 cell balance charger https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-accucel-6-80w-10a-balancer-charger-lihv-capable.html Since it is a single cell, you don't need the balancer plugged in and it still works with the single cell. The balancer plug is only needed for multiple cell battery packs.

Just make sure you set the C right (.1 amp/100 mAh) and the battery type. The charger will take care of the rest.

I use the car starter that is my field power pack for launch controller, starting cars with low batteries (radios/interior lights on all day), USB charger, etc. as a power supply for the LiPo charger.

Is anyone having trouble with the Rocket Locator app downloading Google map satellite images and the compass working correctly? Mine is having a problem with both.

I had heard previously that Google maps want $$$ to download to the app. Since it's a free app, the author didn't pay the money so Google maps don't work.
I use Open Street Map for my provider. It took most of the first day to get all the satellite map squares downloaded, but they were all there the next time I was at the field. I don't know how you would download those ahead of time if you don't have 3G/4G at the field. Maybe a point for further discussion.

I didn't have a problem with the compass. Once I turned it on, the line between the phone's blue dot and the rockets red marker always pointed in the direction of the rocket no matter which way I pointed the phone.

I had heard previously that Google maps want $$$ to download to the app. Since it's a free app, the author didn't pay the money so Google maps don't work.
I use Open Street Map for my provider. It took most of the first day to get all the satellite map squares downloaded, but they were all there the next time I was at the field. I don't know how you would download those ahead of time if you don't have 3G/4G at the field. Maybe a point for further discussion.

I didn't have a problem with the compass. Once I turned it on, the line between the phone's blue dot and the rockets red marker always pointed in the direction of the rocket no matter which way I pointed the phone.

I suspect Mr. Handeman is correct on that. I was suspicious when the program was "repaired" and downloaded as many tiles as I could for off line use at my nearby sites. The open source tiles are still available.
There is an Arc-GIS photomap server that has tiles that are a few years old but still very serviceable. They're used in the APRSISCE/32 tracking program and are not encumbered by copyright stuff.
OK, I just tried downloading some tiles on GPSRL and was unsuccessful. The ones I have stored are intact but we're back to this game again. Info on the Arc-GIS is here: https://aprsisce.wikidot.com/tile-sets.
This is not the author's fault but is Google's desire not to have outside apps using their "stuff".

Oh, to be clear, I don't know how or if the Arc-GIS tiles could be integrated to GPSRL. I'm not a programmer and was surprised Francois was able to modify the program to get it working again. Those who have
already downloaded tiles, guard the /mapCache/google directory and backup the tiles to a computer or memory stick so you can load them back into a new device or app. Kurt

I'm having a little bit of trouble connecting my receiver to my computer and to my smartphone. I have entered the pairing code (I've tried on both computer and android phone) but can't get the receiver light to stop blinking (which I read means it's completely connected). I know it's a very broad question, but any idea what I may be doing wrong? Do I power up the transmitter or receiver first? Suggestions appreciated!

I'm having a little bit of trouble connecting my receiver to my computer and to my smartphone. I have entered the pairing code (I've tried on both computer and android phone) but can't get the receiver light to stop blinking (which I read means it's completely connected). I know it's a very broad question, but any idea what I may be doing wrong? Do I power up the transmitter or receiver first? Suggestions appreciated!

I had the same issues. Do you have the correct APP downloaded? I did not and Jim Amos pointed me in the right direction after several minutes on the phone. BTW, Jim's patience & customer service are top notch!

I had no trouble getting GPSRL to work. Sometimes I've noted when the B/T module pairs it will initially give an indication it's paired but then go back to flashing. When I start up a tracking app and select the B/T module it will then go back to "paired"
mode and start working.

As an aside, when I paired another receiver station ( NOT the Missile Works product but 3DR) If I used an HC-06 module my Android device would work but if I tried to pair it and use it with a Windoze app it failed to work. When I chopped out
the HC-06 and used and HC-05 modules both Doze' and Android (GPSRL) worked fine.

I had no problem with the Missile Works receiver with either platform. In fact using the Ublox Ucenter program ( https://www.u-blox.com/en/product/u-center-windows ) I was able to "see" what the T3 was "looking at" as far as satellites were concerned and confirmed it used the U.S. GPS system only.
That's good as some of the other tracking programs I've used out there won't work if trying to monitor both GPS and GNSS satellites/strings. GPSRL certainly wouldn't wouldn't pull up the red "rocket" pushpin if feeding the program
GPS/GNSS strings. Kurt

Has anyone used this yet and could give a review? I'm eyeballing this item as an X-mas present for my 10 year old.

Has anyone used this yet and could give a review? I'm eyeballing this item as an X-mas present for my 10 year old.

Um, probably a stretch if considering flying in a B or C motored project. If going with a D, or E motor the extra weight probably would weigh down the rocket making it unnecessary. An F or G motor might benefit if it's light and going to fly high.
Now if you are a BAR and intending to get an L1 status at least and then fly minimum diameter H and I rockets, it would likely help you find them. Any rocket small flying 2500 feet or higher might
benefit from some form of tracking. A 10 year old might not need this type of tracker but if you need an excuse to get one for yourself, by all means gift him!:wink: Kurt

Clayton -

Pairing does not equal Connected... the appropriate locator app when running correctly should connect to the HC-06, and only then does the LED go solid. There are 2 primary apps I recommend in the Play Store, specifically GPS Rocket Locator by Brune Studios, and Bluetooth GPS by GC Moblab. I've not done other app investigation, but likely there are others in the Play Store. As Kurt mentions, there are a plethora of other potential locator apps that can consume NMEA data streams from the HC-06 virtual comm port.

Jim, any update on the modifications/changes to they system so that theT3 can be used with the RTx/GPS receiver/navigation system? I have the RTx/GPS and would be great if I only have to get the transmitter for the system to work. Thanks!

Jim, any update on the modifications/changes to they system so that theT3 can be used with the RTx/GPS receiver/navigation system? I have the RTx/GPS and would be great if I only have to get the transmitter for the system to work. Thanks!

It is on my to-do list... with new job and personal commitments lately I have been behind the proverbial 8 ball for awhile now.

T3 received, and boy am I entertaining myself! Probably wierded out half a dozen neighbors while wondering around my apartment grounds carrying a blinky antenna and staring at my beeping phone.

Everything seems to be in order, I got it paired/connected, queried for last position, and played hide it and find it then find it for ~half an hour. Every attempt got me close enough that I'd be able to hear a buzzer/screamer/altimeter from the rocket!

Unfortunately, I seem to have killed one of my Lipos by leaving it in various cold places. Lesson learned!

T3 received, and boy am I entertaining myself! Probably wierded out half a dozen neighbors while wondering around my apartment grounds carrying a blinky antenna and staring at my beeping phone.

Everything seems to be in order, I got it paired/connected, queried for last position, and played hide it and find it then find it for ~half an hour. Every attempt got me close enough that I'd be able to hear a buzzer/screamer/altimeter from the rocket!

Unfortunately, I seem to have killed one of my Lipos by leaving it in various cold places. Lesson learned!

Wait till you get accused of that "Pokeman" waste of time stuff. I look funnier using a Yagi antenna during various testing sessions. Kurt

Same here. I also entertained the neighbors by trying to throw a rope over a tree limb and hoisting the transmitter another ~25 ft in the air for a better range test.

So far, I like it. I am impressed with how quickly the GPS locks on when I power up the units. The range is good, even with the transmitter lying on the ground. I started with Bluetooth GPS because it looked more high-tech and professional, but Rocket Locator is more practical for navigation.

All, had some username/password forum stuff going on, so couldn't say that I got my tracker working. Just had to start/restart the thing a couple times. Posted too soon I guess! Regardless, worked great for one of my flights to 8100'. Love it so far.

All, had some username/password forum stuff going on, so couldn't say that I got my tracker working. Just had to start/restart the thing a couple times. Posted too soon I guess! Regardless, worked great for one of my flights to 8100'. Love it so far.

When messing/testing with any GPS tracker, try to make sure you have a good satellite lock on both ends. I've played with various devices over the years and
the results can be frustrating if either end doesn't have a lock. If you are just picking the tracker positions off the air then you don't have to worry about
a local lock on your position. It depends upon your terminal software. If it expects a local position through your devices GPS channel or an external dongle it
might behave funny.

Example indoor testing. Some years ago I got frustrated with a system, thought it was trash etc. Took it outside the next day out in the open and worked perfectly
fine. It's hard to play with your tracker when it's 30 below out but you get my drift. Have fun! Kurt

Glad to learn of your experiences here guys...

I have a high-power 1W version in the works for T3 and RTx systems... it will be pricey, but powerful. One will need to beef up batteries, but the board footprint should be very close to the existing 0.25W versions. The antenna connection will require a u.fl coaxial cable to a bulkhead mounted antenna.

It is on my to-do list... with new job and personal commitments lately I have been behind the proverbial 8 ball for awhile now.
I'm planning on adding a T3 to my RTx/GPS also. I'm not in a big hurry (spring) so if "life" gets in the way Jim, I can wait.

I'd be interested in seeing this as well. I just put my RTX four feet into the ground so I need a new transmitter.

Back