Mig 15-ish RC RG

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here are a pair that I did in parallel, still using up my PSII 3" tubing, using similar construction to my Wolverine and Mach 2 kits.

I tried to style the wing and tail like a Mig 15 shape with a little stub T tail for looks, but use elevons for control for simplicity.

The rocket glider came out at 10.75 oz rtf with a 24mm E-6 motor and has skids mounted to the bottom of the tube and rail buttons offside about 45 degrees from the bottom so that they don't get in the way on landing. No nose or tail weight was required and the tube is free flowing, ie open.

The pusher came out at just over 14 oz rtf with a grayson microjet V-3 and apc 6x4 prop and venom 800mah 3s pack with grayson esc. The grayson esc is heavy and overkill at 1.125 oz and 30 amps but it was super cheap. I flew the rocket glider first to determine max rearward CG for the wing and could then use that later for locating the pusher version wing.

specs: 28" wingspan, 23" length, 3" diameter.

For the pusher version, I had to make a few modifications compared to the rocket glider. I had to move the motor mount from the center to the bottom of the tube so that the prop would clear the tail. I added a keel which along with skids helps give a bit of clearance for the motor/prop when landing, and gives a nice handhold for launching. Since the battery/electric motor are heavier than the rocket motor and 1s battery, I taped the wing to the top of the fuse before mounting it to allow me to place the required CG right where the natural balance point of the model was, and then cut the wing slot. This location meant the wing had to be about 1.5" further forward than on the rocket glider version. The actual model required 1/4 oz of tail weight for perfect trim. I could switch to a lighter esc and located it further back and remove the tail weight if I want to later and save a half an ounce.

I used a sharpie for panel lines and vinyl from stickershock23 for my wolverine kit which look really nice. The canopy was made from laminated depron and sanded to shape and to fit the fuse, and then covered in vinyl and glued in place.

Both fly really well.

[video=youtube;jhKeshVTz5Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhKeshVTz5Q[/video]

[video=youtube;dxDQ_3iKfPI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxDQ_3iKfPI[/video]

WP_20170828_17_20_30_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work again Frank! Shall we look forward to seeing this at Sheridan??

Hmm... now to work out the scale for a Nike Ajax... :)

Yup, I'll see how many I can cram into the van....I may have to make up a pvc rack so I can carry them vertically and still fit rockets on the floor in the back....

Back