2018 National Sport Launch (NSL)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As KennB pointed out, printing these out on various weights of paper makes them difficult for the LCO to handle. We are very committed to turning out as many flights as possible and are anticipating a LOT of fliers, so LCO convenience MUST take priority over individual flier convenience.

As Mary Beth said, the pens are cool.

Can we make some pre-printed stickers then?

Sorry, but I am being serious.. my handwriting is a-trocious!!! Like, really bad! (thank you modern texting & computer use for the last, oh, 30 years!! )

and 2) I plan to fill out a lot of these cards! :D

Can we make some pre-printed stickers then?

Sorry, but I am being serious.. my handwriting is a-trocious!!! Like, really bad! (thank you modern texting & computer use for the last, oh, 30 years!! )

and 2) I plan to fill out a lot of these cards! :D

In some areas, i.e., name, where your from, rocket name, etc. Keep the font size to 12 points. That's legible for most everyone, but still small enough that you can work your way around the card. I've seen this done at some of our other launches and it didn't seem to be an issue. Some places like motor, est. altitude, and other numerical descriptions there really isn't room. Keep your electronics configuration on a separate sticker.

Cool, thanks!!

Yeah, just the repetitive stuff would go on a sticker, Name, NAR#, cert level, home town, etc..

(I remember coming back for a vacation with about 20 rolls of film. I went to Costco to get them developed. I asked if I can just fill out one form / packet, and then just staple another 19 to it. She said 'No'. SO, I went home & made labels with all the pertinent info..)

Another Announcement. Chris' Rocket Supply Announces the LOC Caliber Challenge.

This special is for NSL only. Special includes The Caliber ISP kit($87.95 retail), the Loc 3″ EBAY upgrade($29.35 retail), and the Aerotech I65W DMS motor($89.99 retail) with 9 seconds of White Lightning power!!! We will fly these either Saturday or Sunday at NSL, TBD on Saturday at the launch. The contest will be closest to 4800Ft, and there will be prizes for the winner. These prizes are still TBD based on number of entries. This special is 40% off retail for the entire package, a $208 retail value for $125!!!

The kit will be shipped upon ordering, and the motor will be delivered at NSL

Rules:

User must supply the altimeter to record altitude.
Flyer must bring built to Chris’ Rocket Supplies before heading to pad to launch, and must return to Chris’ Rocket Supplies immediately upon recovery. The altimeter must still be beeping for credit to be awarded.
Once the launch day is determined, there will be a couple hour window that launches must occur during. This will be announced at the launch once we work it out with the launch organizer.
Flight must have successful recovery, with no damage to count. Cert style rules will apply.
This is the most important rule: Have fun!!!
One of the ISP PERFORMANCE SERIES of kits, which feature factory pre-slotted airframe and through-the-wall fin construction and high power motor capabilities, the CALIBER ISP is a light weight, high power performer. The 54mm motor mount is great for Level 1 motors. An Aerotech J-90 motor puts this kit out of sight – try one out if your field can handle it. It is a very cool flight! (and sometimes a long walk) This kit flies great on a variety of G , H and I motors using the optional MMA-3 (for 29mm motors) or MMA-4 (for 38mm motors) motor mount adapter. Parachute Recovery.

All LOC/PRECISION “PK-XX” kits include heavy duty airframe and motor mount tubes, high-grade precision-cut plywood fins, centering rings, rip-stop nylon parachute or streamer, nylon shock cord with loops sewn in and mount, launch lug, polypropylene nose cones and instructions.

CHris Supplies.jpg
LOC.jpg

Thanks Chris' Rocket Supplies and thank you LOC Precision, who has sponsored the LOC Precision Low Power Pads at NSL 2018.

All LOC/PRECISION “PK-XX” kits include heavy duty airframe and motor mount tubes, high-grade precision-cut plywood fins, centering rings, rip-stop nylon parachute or streamer, nylon shock cord with loops sewn in and mount, launch lug, polypropylene nose cones and instructions.

View attachment 341675
View attachment 341676
Thanks Chris' Rocket Supplies and thank you LOC Precision, who has sponsored the LOC Precision Low Power Pads at NSL 2018.

S'pose it's time to bust out the launch rods.... :flyingpig:

S'pose it's time to bust out the launch rods.... :flyingpig:

No. Rail buttons aren't that expensive and you can buy them on the field. Just build your rocket without them of you don't have them handy. Someone will have an extra pair. A couple 1/8" holes in your airframe and you're good to go. 5 minutes, tops. Bip! Bam! Boom!

Randy Miliken (rail-buttons.com)
will be at NSL-2018, his buttons are 25 cents! For a single DOLLAR you can outfit 2 rockets with proper rail guidance!! Put the 1/4inch straws in your slurpy not on your rocket!

While i am here check out the vendor list..
https://www.nar.org/site/nsl-2018/vendors/
the largest stocking CTI dealer in the world, the oldest Aerotech dealer and one of the largest dealers of BOTH will be in attendance!

I'm re-using last Christmas' Advent calendar. I'll re-seal all the door, then start opening may1st. I'll then go back and open doors 1-5 again to make up the difference of days!

Randy Miliken (rail-buttons.com)
will be at NSL-2018, his buttons are 25 cents! For a single DOLLAR you can outfit 2 rockets with proper rail guidance!! Put the 1/4inch straws in your slurpy not on your rocket!

While i am here check out the vendor list..
https://www.nar.org/site/nsl-2018/vendors/
the largest stocking CTI dealer in the world, the oldest Aerotech dealer and one of the largest dealers of BOTH will be in attendance!

Not sure Ken thinks he's old yet ;)

This special is for NSL only. Special includes The Caliber ISP kit($87.95 retail), the Loc 3″ EBAY upgrade($29.35 retail), and the Aerotech I65W DMS motor($89.99 retail) with 9 seconds of White Lightning power!!! We will fly these either Saturday or Sunday at NSL, TBD on Saturday at the launch. The contest will be closest to 4800Ft, and there will be prizes for the winner. These prizes are still TBD based on number of entries. This special is 40% off retail for the entire package, a $208 retail value for $125!!!

Rules:

Flyer must bring built to Chris’ Rocket Supplies before heading to pad to launch, and must return to Chris’ Rocket Supplies immediately upon recovery. The altimeter must still be beeping for credit to be awarded.
Once the launch day is determined, there will be a couple hour window that launches must occur during. This will be announced at the launch once we work it out with the launch organizer.
Flight must have successful recovery, with no damage to count. Cert style rules will apply.
One of the ISP PERFORMANCE SERIES of kits, which feature factory pre-slotted airframe and through-the-wall fin construction and high power motor capabilities, the CALIBER ISP is a light weight, high power performer. The 54mm motor mount is great for Level 1 motors. An Aerotech J-90 motor puts this kit out of sight – try one out if your field can handle it. It is a very cool flight! (and sometimes a long walk) This kit flies great on a variety of G , H and I motors using the optional MMA-3 (for 29mm motors) or MMA-4 (for 38mm motors) motor mount adapter. Parachute Recovery.

View attachment 341675
View attachment 341676

Also thank Aerotech. They are making the motor.

Hotel Rooms in the area are getting thin BUT there is still space available. in Geneseo 5 minutes from the field entrance at the Oak Valley Inn and B&B https://www.oakvalleyinngeneseo.com/ This place has suites still...
also at the Allegiance B&B (585)-658-3524
Stratford and Crestwood motels there are rooms and they are VERY Inexpensive (585) 226-3450

DONT WAIT TOO MUCH LONGER!!

Quick update the Country Inn and Suites 12 minutes from the field opened up a couple of more rooms for us Call them at (585) 658-4080

Rules:

View attachment 341675
View attachment 341676

Per the host club request, this is now for highest altitude. No modifications are allowed...ie no tailcones and no changes to length.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Mine was under 6lb on the pad and got 4847ft.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Since this is a competition, I'm not going to give specifics. Just suffice it to say, mine, which is built but not painted, should come in well under five pounds with motor. The airframe and fins are not altered per the rules. It sims to over 6,000'.

Time for the trash talk to begin. This is a good competition. Same rocket. Same motor. Who can fly it the highest?

Folks,

The close hotels and B&B's in Geneseo are filling up. Book them while they are still available.

As many of you already know Vern and Gleda Estes will be our special guests for NSL 2018.

Vern just reached out to me with a special request. "I was thinking how nice it would be if someone built a Super Big Bertha and everyone there signed it for us to take back to Colorado (or ship back). We would proudly display it in our personal museum."

I don't think I need to point out that his personal museum will eventually wind up alongside G. Harry Stine's, so that donated upscaled BB will be on display for future generations to enjoy.

BTW banquet tickets are selling very fast. We are already at 2/3 capacity of the hall, so if you are thinking of possibly attending, but aren't quite sure yet, I would advise you to not wait much longer!

I really would hate to have anyone attending miss out on Vern and Gleda's special 60th year presentation they have planned for the banquet.

I look forward to seeing many of you at NSL next month!

Thanks for the insight.

I've been doing some research around the forum here as to proper placement for rail buttons...to say that there are differing opinions is an understatement lol. So instead of asking where they should go I am going to ask if there is anywhere on the rocket I shouldn't place them? I'd hate to install them to have an RSO tell me they are set up improperly.

Don't place them on your nose cone. :wink:

New News... AMW ProX is the sponsor of the high power pads. Robert and Gloria have been so supportive of this year's NSL as well as other events at Geneseo, and we are so proud to have them support us in a big way. Check out their web site and look at the NSL Commemorative White Wolf. Buy the smaller version and you could win a 5.5" version.

https://amwprox.com/

Coming down to 5 weeks out for NSL 2018 and this one is looking like it is going to be excellent. We have registered fliers from 22 states and 2 Canadian provinces. Those Canadians are a whole breed of rocket fliers that you have to meet. Great people. Here's a map of registered flier home states so far, excluding Ontario and Quebec.

NSL Who's Coming - 042218.jpg

I hear no HP staged rockets at NSL this year? Any reason? I know a few who aren’t attending for that reason.

I hear no HP staged rockets at NSL this year? Any reason? I know a few who aren’t attending for that reason.

Cannot do HPR staging or clusters because of the valuable antique airplanes at the National Warcraft Museum and the proximity to the Geneseo University campus. We've carved in a good waiver, where we are, but there are too many things nearby to make a good launch go suddenly bad.

With a 1-square mile mowed grass field, this is a great place to fly... but you really wouldn't want a delayed airstart ignition to cause a rocket to land through the wing of one of these...
Memphis Belle.jpg

Hi Tim as i am sure you are aware, every flying field has its own unique attributes. My family and I have flown at a dozen fields as far south as North Carolina and as far west as Muncy Indiana. In the northeast onion farmers hate rockets, in Muncy there are power lines and many other fields have tall corn or rocket eating trees. Even the "Outlaws of the East", MDRA has to lower its waiver very low when the winds blow the wrong direction!

While Geneseo does not have any of those, we do have a landlord who really doesn't want rockets flying towards his buildings, staging/clustering/Airstarts are things that can easily cause that to happen.
If you are someone who just has to stage your rockets, Geneseo is probably not your field.

Dan Michael is a guy who flies HUGE clusters, his 3/4 scale patriot has been on the cover of all the "Rocket" Magazines a few times. He is flying that rocket at NSL, instead of a Complex O he will fly it on a Huge Single N motor.
https://www.nar.org/site/nsl-2018/featured-flights/

Going to be a great launch, Hope to see you there!

Back