2018 National Sport Launch (NSL)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have rockets I built in the 90's before the big rail switch. Guess I'll update them. No worries. Still scathing my head over the 1/4" rod thing. I know the layout having been pad manager for a number of NYPowers and the "Range Boss" for LDRS ( as a matter of fact I did all the pad number signs your club uses and came up with the "color" coding for the different pads and banks) on that field. But I 'm flexible, different folks , different rules.:) Being a range guy, I'm planning on coming up Friday to help you guys with set up. That's part of the fun for me.

Last edited:
Let's do some food trash talkin'....

In this area we have the finest junkfood and bar cuisine in the world. On your way in, you gotta have some.

Don't for Get Tom Wahls in Avon. Less than ten miles from the site. Burgers to die for, if it can be fried, they fry it, and in store made ice cream (in case you still have room).

TW_Logo_New.png

Don't for Get Tom Wahls in Avon. Less than ten miles from the site. Burgers to die for, if it can be fried, they fry it, and in store made ice cream (in case you still have room).

TW_Logo_New.png

Or make a trip up to Rochester for a Bill Gray's Cheeseburger, followed by an Abbotts Sundae.

Bill Grays.jpg

I still have rockets I built in the 90's before the big rail switch. Guess I'll update them. No worries. Still scathing my head over the 1/4" rod thing. I know the layout having been pad manager for a number of NYPowers and the "Range Boss" for LDRS ( as a matter of fact I did all the pad number signs your club uses and came up with the "color" coding for the different pads and banks) on that field. But I 'm flexible, different folks , different rules.:) Being a range guy, I'm planning on coming up Friday to help you guys with set up. That's part of the fun for me.

Very much appreciated Duane. BTW, our pad number signs have all been redone. They look excellent. We also made some serious improvements to our launch equipment, although 2 of the 3 Away cells will be the big behemoth launch pads you still need to raise with brute strength. The third however, is a hydraulic, built-from scratch tower that can handle any N (Or O for that matter, except we cannot launch those here) you can put on it. It was just built last fall. We will be running 3 different launch control systems, including a Wilson FX for HPR and our Away Cells. We will have 50 LPR and 34 HPR pads set up in a left-side, right-side configuration. One side loads while the other side launches.

The more helpers, the better.

So what is everyone building for NSL. I know of a couple cool ones, but there has to be others. I am building a Big @$$ Alpha. an 8x upscale that I plan to fly on an L900. Glass-wrapped LOC tube and glass-covered 1/2" birch ply fins. You don't realize how big an Alpha's fins are until you multiply all the dimensions by 8. Just ordered the decals from Stickershock. This will be done in the configuration that first appeared in the 1967 catalog. The photo on the left shows all the parts dry-fit together with a regular scale Alpha just to the left. on the right, the fins have been glued in place. Now time for the fillets, but I need to build a cradle for airframe so I can add them. Internal as well as external.

Big @$$ Alpha 0.jpg Big @$$ Alpha 1a.jpg

Now let's see some of yours.

Cluster into the L class not allowed?

Ah. Sorry, no HPR clusters. Only LPR BP. Not with this bird sitting out in the field. This is a really great place to fly, but you have to respect the property owner's field equipment. We're hoping the "Movie Memphis Belle" will be there for people to see. Flyovers are amazing.

Memphis Belle.jpg

I don't know, Al. We'll have to see how my summer shapes up.

Hmm, scoping out a quick visit to NSL as part of a family trip. Looks like a great time!

What time/s is/are the Warbird tour/s on Friday? We wouldn't be able to arrive until later in the day sometime.

Thanks!

Hmm, scoping out a quick visit to NSL as part of a family trip. Looks like a great time!

What time/s is/are the Warbird tour/s on Friday? We wouldn't be able to arrive until later in the day sometime.

Thanks!

One resource I checked showed them as closed on Thursdays and Fridays however I am not sure it is correct. Your best bet is to reach out directly because they may be setting up special hours for NSL. They monitor their Facebook page very well. They will be open over the weekend and are going to be offering rides. This is an active airport so there are people there all the time during daylight hours. Their web site is currently under construction and are not showing hours, but they do have a contact form up.https://nationalwarplanemuseum.com/

There will be a lot of people on the field that Friday setting up for the weekend.

One resource I checked showed them as closed on Thursdays and Fridays however I am not sure it is correct. Your best bet is to reach out directly because they may be setting up special hours for NSL. They monitor their Facebook page very well. They will be open over the weekend and are going to be offering rides. This is an active airport so there are people there all the time during daylight hours. Their web site is currently under construction and are not showing hours, but they do have a contact form up.https://nationalwarplanemuseum.com/

There will be a lot of people on the field that Friday setting up for the weekend.

Updating this... The Museum will be offering tours after setup on Friday. They will be open all weekend. More details to follow.

Updating this... The Museum will be offering tours after setup on Friday. They will be open all weekend. More details to follow.

Awesome! Thanks Evan!

Hoping to work NSL into a family road trip over the Memorial Day weekend.

NSL is going to have a few "competitions," but they ain't the kind you'll have at NARAM. Here's what we have in store:
1. Solepoxy Alphabet Race ... Fy a rocket on an A motor ... Recover it ...then fly one on a B motor ... recover it ... then lfly one on a C ... You get the idea. First one who recovers and returns their G-motor rocket, after flying their A-F rockets wins. This is sponsored by Solepoxy.
2. Mile-high Challenge ... Closest to a mile in altitude without going over.
3. Mach Madness ... Fastest rocket without busting the waiver.
4. Closest to the Target ... We are going to mark off a point on the field. The rocket that lands closest to that point wins.
5. "People's Choice - Coolest Rocket" ... Showcase your best build (kit or scratch) and let the people decide which one is coolest.

Good luck everyone.

I'm still trying to get my head around the alphabet race contest. The rules seem a little vague.

Is it supposed to be one launch at a time? What is stopping someone from showing up a the table 1st thing with rockets A-C all ready to go. What stopping someone from having a 'recovery team' and they are the ones who get the rocket, only to bring it back to the original flyer to hand in for validation (who is in line for model #2 or #3)? or, while you're out looking for launch recovery of #2, a helper is in line to have your #3 inspected & loaded on the pad..

Sorry, I think it's a fantastic idea / contest, but (to me) seem ripe for 'rule abuse'...

I'm still trying to get my head around the alphabet race contest. The rules seem a little vague.

Is it supposed to be one launch at a time? What is stopping someone from showing up a the table 1st thing with rockets A-C all ready to go. What stopping someone from having a 'recovery team' and they are the ones who get the rocket, only to bring it back to the original flyer to hand in for validation (who is in line for model #2 or #3)? or, while you're out looking for launch recovery of #2, a helper is in line to have your #3 inspected & loaded on the pad..

Sorry, I think it's a fantastic idea / contest, but (to me) seem ripe for 'rule abuse'...

All entries start at in the same rack with A-motored rockets. Launch, when the field is open after the rack, they go recover and bring back to safety to verify they have launched. Then they get their B-motor rocket. Bring it up for safety inspection, and get it into the next available rack. You can have 7 rockets, all set and ready for launch if you want. Or you can fly the same one 7 times. We've done this a couple times before at our NYPower events, and it has been a lot of fun. When you get into mid power motors you still have to keep rocket and motor weight under 1,500 grams so there is often a mad dash to bring back the G rocket, which usually recovers farthest away. It's a good event for the kids since everything is LPR.

I had a question about flight cards. I don't remember seeing a download for 'NSL' flight cards. Can / will they be available so we can fill them in ahead of time (and preferably be an editable PDF, so I don't have to subject the LCO to my atrocious hand writing!!)

And volunteering.. Will there be a request for helpers at various stations?

I had a question about flight cards. I don't remember seeing a download for 'NSL' flight cards. Can / will they be available so we can fill them in ahead of time (and preferably be an editable PDF, so I don't have to subject the LCO to my atrocious hand writing!!)

And volunteering.. Will there be a request for helpers at various stations?
I'll take that up with our NSL Committee. I know there are flight cards in the flier packets, but we will check into putting them on the web site.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Rocketry Forum mobile app

approximately a month before NSL we will send out an email with a link to the volunteer signup sheet, its very cool and interactive. As for the flight cards go we really want them all the same size and printed on heavy stock, this makes the range personnel's job a bit easier, there will be plenty on the field.

To elaborate a bit on the alphabet race, one guy will be doing the RSO, marking your cards and doing a reasonable job of keeping it "fair"... you can prep 7 rockets but your going 1 at a time through the process! There will be a CASH prize and trophy for the adults and Jr flyers. Please signup for this one https://www.nar.org/site/nsl-2018/launch-events/alphabet-race/ the more who signup (it's free) the more $$$ will get donated!

I'll take that up with our NSL Committee. I know there are flight cards in the flier packets, but we will check into putting them on the web site.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Rocketry Forum mobile app

If folks can print them out ahead of time, please recommend a weight of paper/card stock for the printing. 20# paper isn't too easy to handle if there's a slight breeze.

Typing at the same time as previous post. Consistency of the cards is important in the safety and launch control areas.

Last edited:
The flight cards are a vector file setup to be printed by a bulk printer. We made it available last year and people brought these teeny tiny little cards asking why we wanted them soooooo small. There will be plenty on the field and commemorative pens in you packets to fill them out!

Typing at the same time as previous post. Consistency of the cards is important in the safety and launch control areas.

As KennB pointed out, printing these out on various weights of paper makes them difficult for the LCO to handle. We are very committed to turning out as many flights as possible and are anticipating a LOT of fliers, so LCO convenience MUST take priority over individual flier convenience.

As Mary Beth said, the pens are cool.

Exciting News -

Rocketman Parachutes are the Official Parachute of NSL 2018. These are excellnt chutes that are strong and pack tightly. That means... Rocketman prizes. So you better buy more raffle tickets. This is what was in the box that we received yesterday.
• 1 x 14’ Pro X parachute – Value: $225.00
• 1 x 6’ Standard parachute – Value: $50.00
• 1 x 5’ Standard Parachute – Value: $45.00
• 1 x 3’ Standard parachute – Value: $35.00
• 1 x 3’ Pro X parachute – Value: $43.00
• 1 x 2’ Pro X parachute – Value: $33.00
• 1 x 1’ Ballistic Mach parachute – Value: $50.00
• 1 x 3’ Deployment bag – Value: $25.00
• 1 x 16” flame Shield – Value: $21.00
• 1 x 12” flame shield – Value: $17.00
• 10 x 20%-off Rocketman Coupons to be given at the banquet

Plus, in every fliers registration packet there will be a 15% off coupon on Rocketman Products. Thanks, Ky and Buddy!

Rocketman Logo.jpg

More great news...

MARSA Altimeters are the official altimeters of NSL. John will be bringing some nice little goodies with him to the launch, and he is very helpful to those who already have his products such as helping program, making sure the firmware is up to date, etc. John is an incredibly nice guy with the best altimeters and auxillary components in the hobby.

MARSA.jpg

Back